585,737 active members*
4,642 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

I'm buying a 1610L

I have been somewhat seriously looking in to machines since January this year, not thinking I could afford anything in the price range of a machine I wanted. When I saw the Tormach on the forum here last year, my jaw dropped at what you could get for your money, but the money has always been lacking.

Well, I got a great bonus this year, and I have pulled the trigger on the Mikini. I did a good bit of research on the options, and while it may be $1-2k more than "comparable" mills, it has enough specs and features in my mind that put it ahead of the competition (Tormach, Novakon, IH, Syil, etc.). The Tormach for me was a close second place. The best thing Tormach has going for it, though, is new product development. I am hoping that I will be able to integrate new Tormach stuff on the Mikini as they come out.

I have ordered a Computer-less 1610L, stepper driven, with the 4th axis, 2 vises, and starter tooling package. Unfortunately I have not been paid my bonus yet, but it is due by the end of July. My machine is ready for pickup now, so I am getting anxious!

On another side note, I broke 5 bones in my toes 2 weeks ago, so it may be a while before I get the machine uncrated and positioned so that I can post up some good pictures and videos of my work, but I promise I will keep this forum populated with posts once I get it up an running!

I have talked to several Mikini owners, and heard mostly good comments (a few issues, but none serious or unrepairable). There were a few hiccups along the way for some users, but it sounds like Phil is pretty responsive and supports the machines in the field pretty well. I do hope that once I start posting more on this machine, that some other Mikini users will give back to the community as well. I am very disappointed in how little user feedback is available on the web - compared to the Tormach, there are really no user discussions at all : ( This fact alone was almost enough to turn me off of getting the Mikini... Hope I didn't make a bad choice!

I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting news on your progress. Now, since you bought the computer-less version of the Mikini mill, do you plan on adding the Mikini computer later, or are you using your own computer to control the mill?

Hope your foot heals soon.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rock lobster View Post
    I, for one, will be anxiously awaiting news on your progress. Now, since you bought the computer-less version of the Mikini mill, do you plan on adding the Mikini computer later, or are you using your own computer to control the mill?

Hope your foot heals soon.

Joe
    I will build my own PC. I have better parts laying around (Micro-ITX MB, touchscreen, SSD HD, etc.) than the PC they will build for me, and I have a MACH3 license already as well.

Still haven't received my bonus (lying SOBs in HR!!!), but I have committed some savings to get the machine on the way next week...

Hello, I want own an used Mikini model 2008, it is rightwhat you say. They have little troubles but they are relatively easy to solve. I will post all the troubleshoot I have had... to make finally a troubleshooting guide because the Mikini's manual is not complete.