585,712 active members*
4,092 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Fanuc description

Hi, I don't know where to start so please bare with me. I am looking for answers to the word "Fanuc" Can anyone guide me to the correct post so I can understand what it is better?

1: Is Fanuc a controller, code or an actual machine? Or all three?
    2: What does it mean when you are interviewed for a job with CNC lathes and you tell them Fanuc? Do they think Controller, Machine brand, codes or what?
    3: As I understand it, Fanuc Lathe means the cnc lathe has a Fanuc style controller, so it uses Fanuc style g and m codes, etc. It can be most any type of lathe, any style of chuck used, 3 or 4, etc. It can have a hydraulic chuck 3 or 4 jaw or a manual chuck, the Fanuc just means it is basically the type of controller? Is this anywhere near correct?

Thanks, and sorry to bother you with such simple questions, but I have a lot more.

Fanuc is the name of a CNC control manuf. They are not known to be machine tool builders, but sell the control system to OEM for implementation.
    Due to the fact that it was estimated at one time that Fanuc sold 60% of the world market for CNC controllers, most controls follow their systems fairly closely, so anyone versed in Fanuc can usually cross over to Mitsubishi, Fagor and others etc, with very little difficulty.
    The G codes are pretty much standardized across makes, the M codes can be at the discretion of the MTB, and may differ between makes.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

10-12 years back, similar questions used to bother me, and it was not easy to get exact answers quickly. But now I learnt quite a few things. So, do not hesitate in asking.

Yes. Broadly speaking, Machine Tool Builder (MTB) makes the mechanical structure of the machine and installs a "control" purchased by some control manufacture such as Fanuc. The control comes as a complete package of electronics as well as servo motors etc. The MTB installs the control of your choice. Several features of a control are optional, for which you have to pay extra. You have to inform your MTB what you want.

Just to reinforce what has been said, as with most CNC systems such as Fanuc, the CNC side of the system which controls the servo's and positioning is decided by Fanuc, the machine control side, PMC/PLC side is at the discretion of the MTB, and covers the operator interface features, and how they function to how M codes are implemented etc.
    The S & T (spindle & Tool) function is also written into the PMC by the MTB.
    So although two different makes of machines can have the same Fanuc control, there can be individual differences in the operator panel and the way some of the external control is carried out.
    Al.

Albert E.

Let muddy the waters a bit Al, Fanuc does make machines and controls. Lots of Robo Drills around. For the most part, Fanuc is a control builder however.

Okay, cool. I am learning a lot. So basically Fanuc is a type of controller fixed to a machine that could be just about any MTB? Makino, Okuma, Mori-Seiki, Mazak, Hass, whatever can have a Fanuc but probably have some other kind of controller with proprietary features for their machine, Yes? I think I am getting the controller thing alot faster than the turning of the jaws thing. I am sure you guys can answer my silly questions and get me on track.

1: I was just wondering why a shop would turn soft jaws (3 jaw chuck) for every part run every time to the end of time? I do understand to turn them that it basically cleans them up for more acceptable concentricitiy, but it doesn't make sense to me for some reason, seems like a lot of time wasted, that they are trying to save money by not tracking the jaws or putting on better chucks, but I don't know enough about it to understand it all. I am sure they have precise 4 jaw chucks or maybe even a 6 jaw that work hydraulically that can go from say 3" to 6" and keep concentricity good? Yes. Is the problem Money? Is the company to cheap to modify the chucking system of a older Fanuc controller lathe or are they to lazy or unknowledgeable to have a system to keep track of the jaws to use over and over again, meaning they need a tool crib, a number system, a employee to handle it all, etc. Or is it just normal to do this day in and day out, which means the operators are probably pretty darn smart and good at machining plus having the repetitious nature of the work day in and day out. I am sure they must pay an operator more to do all this chuck turning stuff and set up the machine complete for each run than to pay an operator using an advanced chucking system removing the jaw turning process, but probably get more parts out with the better chucking system. Can anyone shed any light on all this in short detail so I can get over this concept and go on to the next question?

2: Back to Fanuc, Now I am assuming that any other controller, is similar in the commands, G-codes M-Codes used?

Now what I am wondering is, are there suttle differences from one controller brand to another so when the program is being generated via Cad / Cam software by the programmer that you need to tell the CAd / CAm software what type of controller the machine has so it will post process the correct code in the program to make it work correctly? In another words, the cad/ cam software needs to be able to do any or all of the controllers in your shop to be efficient? Maybe some use two or three cad / cam software programs to cover all the different controller, I don't know?

3: The next step is 2-7 axis, lathe or mill. I am assuming that there is also special cad / cam software that is required for how many axis you have and controller? So this is another piece of the puzzle eventually, Yes?

Thanks for all your help, camminc
    I anyone needs any help with HSM in the context of cutting tools, chatter, balance, Shrinker, dynamics, frequencies, flexibility issues please ask me, I can cover some of that. I just don't know much about how to operate a lathe or mill and need to
    understand it better.

I was aware that they made Robots, but as the OP mentioned lathes I just stuck to machine tools.
    Al.

Albert E.

The CAM program is usually processed through a Post-processor that interprets the CAM program in order for it to be used in the machine it is intended for and takes care of any individual coding methods used by that machine.
    e.g. Some machines program circular interpolation by radius or IJ etc which are start and end position of the arc and can be in relative or absolute positioning, so there are minor peculiarities that have to be known about the machine you are working on, this is why it is important to refer to the MTB operator manual as well as Fanuc manual.
    Al.

Albert E.

As Al has pretty much stated when it comes to CAD programming in most cases the main part of the program (positioning and cutting) are generally going to be the same but the start and stop codes will be different that is why you develop a postprocesser for each machine so it will put the specific codes for that control into your program when you post it out.

As to the jaws it will vary largely depending on how many style parts are run, the price to manufacture the part and the time it takes to setup. I believe that one of the biggest things is jaws are not cheap so to buy a set of jaws for every job can get costly.

Stevo

Thanks for all your input

In some cases, you may not get a post processor which prepares 100% correct code for your machine. Minor changes in the beginning and/or the end of the code might be needed. For this, you have to have basic knowledge of manual part programming. Using a CAM software should be the next step. It is like you have to learn arithmetic first, before using a calculator. Moreover, for simple geometry, you need not invest on expensive CAM softwares.

Your welcome.

Stevo