585,748 active members*
3,707 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Any reasonably priced (cheap) spindles other than the chinese spindles?

Any reasonably priced (cheap) spindles other than the chinese spindles?

I'd like to cut wood and aluminum. Seems that the only cheap spindles are those imports from China. I was going to get a 3-4kw unit and get the VFD else where. Then I started reading about all the problems with the bearings and thought that perhaps I'll look else where for the spindle motor as well. Can some one suggest a spindle for less than $1k?

I don't think you will find anything in the 3-4 KW range for under $1000 that isn't made in China.

bob

Any thing comparable not made in China will cost 3-5 times more.

How many problem spindles have you actually read about? I think the number I've seen is fewer than 5, more like 2 or 3? And other than the ones with bearing failure, I've never heard of anyone who wasn't very happy with their purchase.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I'd look at it like this. With the 2.2Kw chinese spindles, you're paying around 1/5 the price of a name brand spindle. So, even if it lasts 1/5 as long, you're still getting your money's worth.

You can buy 1 spindle a year for 5 years for the same price as a single HSD or similar spindle. And there's a very good chance that the HSD will need a bearing replacement in those 5 years, at a cost which is probably between $1000-$1500. I've had a few 6.4Kw HSD's rebuilt, and they were never less than $2200.

So, I'd buy the Chinese spindle, and use it for what it is. A much better spindle than a handheld router for a similar price. If you're doing production work with it, then buy a spare.
    Your still way ahead of what you'll spend on a "real" spindle.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Good advice. I'll see if I can negotiate a good price.

A couple of related questions:

1. What type of spindle motor do the Tormacs/Syils use?

2. Care to help me pick a good VFD? I heard to look for sensorless type? Not sure what to look for

Link to VFD.

One alternative that comes to mind (isn't exactly cheep but not way over priced) is spindles from Ekstrom carlwson.. I got my C73 before the china ones started apearing. Got the spindle from them but my electronics came from Automationdirect.com

Still I think I'd be almost as happy with the china one. But I do like my ekstrom.. Thing that bugs me the most is the small collets (er20).. Although since the ER25 does does not have a 3/4" collet (biggest er25 is 5/8 I think) I guess there is no real point in having an ER25 other then the fact that I already have a full set of them..

Perhaps the smaller nose of the ER20 would be nicer.. Hmmm

b.

Quote Originally Posted by HereinCS View Post
    Good advice. I'll see if I can negotiate a good price.

A couple of related questions:

1. What type of spindle motor do the Tormacs/Syils use?

2. Care to help me pick a good VFD? I heard to look for sensorless type? Not sure what to look for

Link to VFD.
    Hello,
    My Syil SX3 used a BLDC motor for the spindle. It worked very well up until the display board shorted out. Now I have implemented a single speed motor with countershaft to run the lower speeds for metal work and use a Craftsman (rotozip size) motor as a second spindle for higher RPM items like wood etc. It works fairly well but nothing like having speed control etc. from the program.
    Regards,
    Wes

Quote Originally Posted by wcarrothers1 View Post
    One alternative that comes to mind (isn't exactly cheep but not way over priced) is spindles from Ekstrom carlwson.. I got my C73 before the china ones started apearing. Got the spindle from them but my electronics came from Automationdirect.com

Still I think I'd be almost as happy with the china one. But I do like my ekstrom.. Thing that bugs me the most is the small collets (er20).. Although since the ER25 does does not have a 3/4" collet (biggest er25 is 5/8 I think) I guess there is no real point in having an ER25 other then the fact that I already have a full set of them..

Perhaps the smaller nose of the ER20 would be nicer.. Hmmm

b.

Boy, I really like the Ekstrom. Especially the c74. Ceramic bearings! $2100 is a distant dream though. The c73 is reasonably priced at $1400 or so, but still out of my budget. Seems like there is a market for something in the gap between a $300 chinese made motor and a $1300 - 1600 ekstrom/colombo, etc.

Re: Any reasonably priced (cheap) spindles other than the chinese spindles?

I was looking at Hertz spindles out of Turkey. They are on Ebay.

More $$ than the Chinese, but I was leaning that way myself to replace a PC router on one machine (maybe 2 machines if it worked)....perhaps better than throwing the dart at Chinese suppliers and hoping you pick a decent supplier / part.