585,761 active members*
4,244 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > DynaTorch > Changing rapid travel height at the machine

Changing rapid travel height at the machine

Is there a way to change the rapid travel height while at the machine? I've never worried about it before, just let it raise all the way up and figured reducing the chance of hitting a tip up is worth a little extra time. Now I've got some work with several hundred small holes and no chance of a tip up on most of the nest so a few seconds saved on each hole would really add up.

Thanks in advance.

Go to setup>machine settings>homing tab. On the Z settings of "offset inches" put in the height you want the torch to go to after homing and hit "apply". then close that window and go back to setup>search for home>find Z home. The torch will raise to the hard stop and then drop down away from the hard stop the specified height. On original set-up, you probably did .25" offset. There may be another way but that is what I do to be quick. Keep in mind that it will home to that position until you change it. It does save LOTS of time!

WSS
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zoffset.JPG  

If you look in "Custom" tab (still in Machine Settings screen), look at M125 and it will explain how to set it in a cutting file.

Basically, you add a line of code within the first few lines of the program: M125 P** . Whereas the ** is the height that you want the torch to lift between cuts. For example M125 P1.25 would raise it 1.25". I set this value depending on how large any drop-outs might be in my part so that the torch won't catch them while traveling if they stick up.

Quote Originally Posted by travis11 View Post
    If you look in "Custom" tab (still in Machine Settings screen), look at M125 and it will explain how to set it in a cutting file.

Basically, you add a line of code within the first few lines of the program: M125 P** . Whereas the ** is the height that you want the torch to lift between cuts. For example M125 P1.25 would raise it 1.25". I set this value depending on how large any drop-outs might be in my part so that the torch won't catch them while traveling if they stick up.
    Good to know! The way I was doing it, the number was away from home. The M125 code is helpful for quite a few situations. Great idea to size up the drop to match the retract height.

WSS

Thanks guys!
    I used the first method today and will check out the M125 code tomorrow.