585,973 active members*
4,031 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Adjusting the Turret indexing

Hi All
    I have a Ikegai AX20N cnc lathe. Had it for a while but just really got it going.
    I've noticed that when i index the turret to another station it rotates about 0.5 mm to far and that makes it a bit hard on my center drill etc.....
    The question is how do you fix it. I've had a look in the parts manual and had a look at getting the shear pins out ,but they are stuck fast. I'm pulling on the shear pins that hard i think i could break something.I was wondering are they threaded by any chance as i can't really tell? Or am i looking in the wrong at adjusting the turret angle? Thanks

Snow

Judging from all of your posts you are having alot of problems with this lathe getting it going etc. You really need a tech. to look at it for you and get it setup correctly. Going about it the way you are is asking for trouble. IMHO
    We all live in Tents! Some live in content others live in discontent.

Hi Boots
    Gee thanks for the vote of confidence. I have had a tech guy look at it by the way (top Bloke he is). Personally i think i haven't had that many troubles. I Just think it is usual problems with older machine's rasing it's head. Most people learn by asking question and giving it a go. And if you balls it up in the process you know not to do that next time

Hey Snowie I didn't mean to insinuate you didn't know what you are doing or in over your head in any way. But it just sounded like to me that the turret got wacked againt something and got out of alignment with the centerline of the lathe chuck and tailstock. I have seen this happen, operator error indexing it into the barstock hanging out of the Chuck and hitting one of the tools in the turret. Kudoes to you if you can tackel it and get it going properly. I feel as though I can fix anything mechanical and you probably do too. I don't think it's a problem with the shear pins. Does this turret pop out before it indexes, then rotates into position, then pops back and locks? If so I would be looking at the center of the turrets rotating shaft. I don't think those are keyed and they have a tapered fit so that if they do bump into something while indexing then it doesn't break the shaft and or locating keys and pins but rather slips on the taper fit between the shaft and the turrets mating parts. I think you will have to loosen the center retainer to realign the turret to lathe center and tailstock then retighten it. How you get it free of the taper fit is a bit of a problem if you don't have the proper tools and aren't carful you could damage something. But go for it if you think you can. I think it is an easy fix though. It's good that you have a parts manual to look at. Check if you can see the taper fit I am talking about there in the center of the turret. Keep us posted...please.

I just took a tour of NZ via google "Street View" it's a nice place where you live. I would like to visit there some day.

Hi Boots
    Thanks for the reply. Attached is the parts list.
    It looks like i can't get the shear pins out (29) and bush (30).As the Bush locking grubscrew (31) is located on the top of the turret it has been fulled with coolant and swarf for a number of years and completely croded solid. It will need drilling and re-tapped out and there is another one on the bottom witch will make is a real pain.
    I haven't had to much of a dig into it yet but it looks like the turret drive key (38) is locked into the retainer flange (6) but could be wrong. I'll have a look into this first and then the drive taper pins (64) ,(70) to see what they are like.
    At the moment the turret spins and locks like you said ( pops in and out fine).
    If there is a bit if slop on bolts (5). I could get a bit of adjustment there as the Flange (6) is not doweled to the Turret casting. Actually i might check that first.
    The turret is over traveling on its rotation as i leaves a small tit in the work when facing parts.
    Just my ramblings
    Snow

On a another note New Zealand not to bad of a place. Being on the bottom or the top of the world (depending how you look at it) makes freight on goods expensive and a crappy exchange rate doesn't help.
    But i'm sure Government politicians are all the same in the rest of the world
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Parts Layout.JPG   Parts List 1.JPG   Parts list 2.JPG  

Update
    Yup the Flange is keyed on to the turret shaft. Included is a pic of the seized shearbolt as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0801201010391.jpg   0801201010390.jpg   0801201010380.jpg   0801201010370.jpg  

So I take it the Couplers and their 24 teeth and their tapered pins are ok? Are you in that far yet?

I wouldn`t suspect that the flange has moved on the shaft.
    Check the curvic couplings.Parts 17 and 22 on your exploded view.The dowels locating these may be bent if its had a bump.Some techs leave the dowels out,preferring to use them to line the couplings up then tightening the bolts and removing the dowels.This lets the turret move if it has a crash without doing too much damage.Once you have lined it up,sweep round one of your boring bar holders with a clock guage to make sure it`s on the centre on the spindle axis.
    Mark.

Hi
    Thanks for the advice. A rush job has just turned up so i have to put the machine back together Yea-ha... Not
    Will keep you posted

Need help with Ikegai fanuc 6t

Hey I operate an Ikegai fanuc 6t at work and I'm having problems when i'm doing external thread cutting. For some reason its not running over the exact same spot when it takes the first 1 or 2 cuts. This results in a rough finish thats not up to standard.
    Ive tried running a few different programs but still get the same problem.
    I had a small crash the day before but it was running fine for 6 hours before I had the problem. Maybe something has come loose as a result of the crash?
    Has anyone had the same problem? Can anyone help me out??