584,842 active members*
4,196 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Galil DMC4080, issues with Mach3

So, I am finally starting to test out my controller with mach3, using the galil plugin. I have two issues that I am really wondering about, and thought someone might be able to help.

I have slaved the D axis to the X axis, in order to drive a gantry. I have a limit switch hooked up for testing, through the X axis wiring on the galil. Whenever I activate the X axis limit switch, the D-Axis limit switches light up with the X axis limit switch. The D axis limit switch is not hooked up at all. Why is this?

My second question is regarding the home sequence for a slaved gantry. If the gantry is bolted together "square", and I press home, will it be able to find both gantry home switches (X and D), without racking my gantry?

I wish there was a little more documentation on this. Galil documentation for the homing routines are okay, but I am not sure what applies to the Mach plugin. Thank you for your help!

Rob

The Galil plugin guys usually answer pretty quickly on the Mach forum.

My second question is regarding the home sequence for a slaved gantry. If the gantry is bolted together "square", and I press home, will it be able to find both gantry home switches (X and D), without racking my gantry?
    I don't understand the question?? Are the switched located so that the gantry would have to "rack" to find them? If the gantry is already square, then you shouldn't need two switches. In General Config, "Home Slave with Master" will home a slaved axis to a single switch, without the normal "auto squaring". Not sure how the Galil plugin handles this, though.

Again, I'd ask on their forum.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Once you initialize the two axis in the gearing mode, which I assume you are using to slave the D, they should track together, if you try and have a home sequence for both and they are bolted rigidly then there is going to be stress on one side if the home position for both is different occurs at a different position, the alternative is to have a swivel joint on one side and they will orient square when homed if the switches are set up right.
    Another way if the gantry is rigid is to have a home switch on the X only.
    A method that MG Systems used once on their gantry's was to have a swivel joint on one side, they would drive both axis to one end of the table where two rubber/pneumatic bumper's where set, the torque limit in the controller was set down low enough that when the cushions bottomed out the position error limit was detected in the controller and the gantry was declared square, the Gearing command was given at this point to lock the axis and the X search for the marker pulse for home.
    Rather elaborate, but it seemed to work pretty good.
    I have not used Galil with Mach as yet.
    Not sure about the limit problems, depends on what make and how wired?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Oops....

I had the axis mapping all wrong. Limit switch problem went away.

Now about that homing sequence...