585,722 active members*
4,159 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Mist vs. Flood coolant

I know this is probably one of those Coke vs. Pepsi things where some people have preferences, but when should you be using flood coolant vs. mist coolant? I have an old Boss 5 which does not do a good job of recovering/containing coolant so Mist is obviously cleaner, but flood is probably better? When do you need flood coolant? It seems Aluminum would prefer flood as it probably need lubrication more than cooling?

I'm sure you've already figured out that I'm a hobby user and not "Real" machinist.

Thanks!

I made a Lexan enclosure for my Bridgeport Interact, and I am now free to use coolant with all of it collected back into the sump via enclosure.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid.../23-Enclosure/

I'm sure I'll make some Lexan guards, but my sump is shallow and I think a small amount of debris in the screen will cause it to overflow. On the old Boss machines the lip that would contain the coolant actually slopes down at the sides where the return is. I was running the pump at a pretty slow rate under ideal conditions and it was close to overflowing.

Here is a pic showing my table:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/Roger.Fr...94957469303986

Anyway, very nice guards and I will make some similar ones, but the question remains. When can you get away with mist and when do you need flood?

Thanks!

I guess it all depends on how much of the coolant you want to breathe. I, for one, will NEVER use mist coolant. Flood coolant has the "oomph" to clear out the chips, and the sheer volume to keep the cutter nice and cool.

Mists of virtually anything can become explosive. Look at how many flour-mills have exploded over the years. :O

Guys, I used flood but not mist. (to be exact, I used mist without understanding and it was a disaster).

So, a question. When using mist coolant, how much air flow should I expect? Should aluminum chips fly all over the room? What should be the input PSI?

So two strong votes for Flood. Does anybody like mist? I don't know enough to have an opinion at this point. So far, I've just been using a squirt bottle.

Flood

When hogging with a corn cob type rougher the RPM is reduced and the feed is a bit higher. Flood here works wonders about eliminating head buildup when the tool is immersed in a pile of gravel chips. Also due to the lower rpm and chip type the coolant is not "flung" all over.

On the flip side I am looking into the Fog Buster type coolant delivery - Its not Flood, but not Mist either. More of a low pressure air delivered microstream.

Here's one vote for mist. It has 90% of the benefit of flood and a fraction of the mess. My machines are not enclosed and i make a lot of very large parts so small guards around a vise aren't useful.

The one problem with mist is fog, so i built my own fogless unit.
    http://www.machinistblog.com/zero-fog-mister/

Karl

I started out trying to use mist. Not very effective whatsoever on aluminum. I did not like the cloud of mist around the machine for me to breathe. I built lexan guards around the old Boss 5 machine and built a flood coolant system for it. A Little Giant pump, a tank and some rubber lines and a ball valve from Lowes. It has been working great for 2 years. Cost me about $80 and some parts laying around the shop. I also made screens over the table drains.

Well it sounds like I need both flood and mist. My machine has a mist pump on it already and I'm adding flood also (kinda always planned on having both anyway). The one thing that seem strange about the flood pumps. Most of the pumps are 110 volt AC submersible. I always thought electricity & water where not the best of friends. Any safety issues here? I plan on hooking it up through a GFI outlet and I was planning on using a 5 gallon plastic bucket for the tank. Anything safety wise I should consider? Is a plastic tank ok, or does it need to ba a grounded metal tank?

Just seems wrong plugging in something and tossing it into a tank of water.

No issues here with the submersible pump. My 120V AC pump has been submersed in a 20 gallon tank for two years. Just plugged to a standard grounded outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by rogerfries View Post
    Just seems wrong plugging in something and tossing it into a tank of water.
    Submersible pumps are commonplace. No need to worry if the pump is designed to handle the liquid it is submersed in. Oil can affect some polymers that are used in the gaskets and seals. So keep that in mind. A GFI is a good idea (belt & suspenders).
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    Submersible pumps are commonplace. No need to worry if the pump is designed to handle the liquid it is submersed in. Oil can affect some polymers that are used in the gaskets and seals. So keep that in mind. A GFI is a good idea (belt & suspenders).
    Come on guys. Every house has a submersible pump. It is called "sump pump".

Quote Originally Posted by ichudov View Post
    Come on guys. Every house has a submersible pump. It is called "sump pump".
    By quoting my post, you seem to be contradicting me. I'm confused since I say there is no need to worry.

(FYI - I've never lived in a house with a sump pump. I guess it depends upon where you live).
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Hawk,

A FogBuster works extremely well, and makes essentially zero mess. There is also near zero "fog" put into the air, unless you're *really* pushing things (and I run my knee mill HARD!), hard enough that the mist hitting the tool is being vaporized. I've been using a home-made FogBuster for years (the patent is available on-line, and contains all the information necessary to built one), with KoolMist, and I've never once felt I was breating anything. The (minor) disadvantages are noise level (due to the airflow), and the need to sometimes reposition the nozzle to keep it in the most effective position as the cutter moves around. This is the one advantage I can see of flood - you just squirt coolant in the general direction of the cutter, and it'll get cooled. The FogBuster is much more directional. But, it does an excellent job of clearing chips, and requires only a small compressor (I'm using a $79 compressor on mine).

Regards,
    Ray L.

Note: That the industrial machines do not use submersible pumps.

The pump is at the bottom of the tank but the motor is clearly out of the fluid area.

People using plastic pumps without knowing the effects of long term exposure of the plastic to the chemicals in there chosen coolant... oh did you also let some tapping fluid into the sump?

Economical pumps are available with or without tanks that make cutting corners on a machine build almost a matter of negligent design.

I started at a small shop with a line of manual Bridgeport milling machines and real machinists. In the summer it was hard to see from one end of the shop to the other because of the mist that hung in the air. When the temperature dropped and the gas fired forced air heat was turned on, it blew thick blue smoke for quite a while as the collected/deposited mist burned off. I can imagine what our lungs looked like.
    Bridgeport stopped using the Bijur mist units (possibly from a fear of lawsuits?) and started offering the Accu-mist unit. It still shot out a stream of air but used a adjustable timer to add a drop of special vegetable oil to the air stream that coated the cutter. In theory no big clouds of oil to breath in and no lung cancer.
    I had a BOSS 9 with both flood and mist. I found a advantage to both but preferred the flood.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Awesome pictures and video.

Quote Originally Posted by machintek View Post
    When the temperature dropped and the gas fired forced air heat was turned on, it blew thick blue smoke for quite a while as the collected/deposited mist burned off. I can imagine what our lungs looked like.
    I remember those days. I also remember that when I blew my nose, what came out was the same color as the coolant. Blue in this case...Ewww.

What I REALLY didn't like was gun-drilling on the lathes with Sigma oil for coolant.

Page 1 of 2 12