585,712 active members*
3,881 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Shopmaster/Shoptask > 1720 XMTC Manual and Compound Slide

1720 XMTC Manual and Compound Slide

Hi there. I just bought a used 1720 XMTC Gold, and am looking to get my hands on an owners manual. Does anyone have, or know where I can get a pdf copy?

Also, if its not a really dumb question, the machine I bought came with a tool post that fixes directly to the cross slide, without a compound slide. I can see that the entire cross slide / milling table can be rotated, but without a compound slide, I can't see how I would machine a taper using the lathe. For example, if I wanted to make a dead centre out of a round bar, how would I do so without a compound slide? I hope I'm missing something obvious, and not missing some important part of the machine!! Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Cheers ...... Simon

Quote Originally Posted by grahasp View Post
    Hi there. I just bought a used 1720 XMTC Gold, and am looking to get my hands on an owners manual. Does anyone have, or know where I can get a pdf copy?

Also, if its not a really dumb question, the machine I bought came with a tool post that fixes directly to the cross slide, without a compound slide. I can see that the entire cross slide / milling table can be rotated, but without a compound slide, I can't see how I would machine a taper using the lathe. For example, if I wanted to make a dead centre out of a round bar, how would I do so without a compound slide? I hope I'm missing something obvious, and not missing some important part of the machine!! Any guidance is greatly appreciated!

Cheers ...... Simon
    On the older 17-20 models the only way to cut tapers was to rotate the entire table to the desired angle. When I got my first machine I found it to be a bit clumsy, especially on small parts. You set the Y axis table to the angle you want and use it to cut the taper- use the X axis to set the depths of your cuts. It was a compromise design to allow angle milling, which was a big bonus. The later compounds they sell will fit your machine. A couple of things to watch out for- Do not rely on those rivet on degree scales- especially on a used machine- they can get bent out of position. Use a dial indicator across the face of your chuck to find the 90 degreee position and then make a permanent mark on the 2 rotating surfaces. Then use an angle finder to set all your various tapers.

Thanks Smallblock. Appreciate the advice.