585,589 active members*
3,613 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Mazak quick turn 20 tool eye

I am running a Mazak at work. The operators before me trashed the tool eye on the machine and it hasn't even been run for a year because nobody knew mazatrol. I have bee running the machine without the tool eye for the last couple of months and finally got the company to buy a new eye. The serviceman we use didn't know how to set it so I did. The problem is on the od tools I am within .0005 and on the Id within .003. Good enough for me. However, tool 2 on the od is off by .05 when everything else is good. Somebody changed a parameter somewhere and I can't find it. Help please. I have looked through the books till my eyes are sore and don't see it.
    thanks,
    tony

IIRC, the parameters for the tool eye are only offset adjustments and should not be dependant on which tool pocket is being measured. I would check to see if there are any wear offsets stored that could be effecting that specfic tool. There is also a tool eye adjustment on tool data page 2 to check as well.

Tool eye

Thanks Capt. Dave.
    I checked the offsets on the wear and geometry page and cleared everything but I didn't look on page 2. I will check that tomorrow morning.
    tony

You have .05 in your Tool Eye Comp in the Tool Set page for tool #2

it's quite simple to adjust the tool eye..... I will send you that info next time.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Update on tool eye

Well it isn't the tool eye's fault this time. I was working on the machine on Saturday fixing coolant lines and leaks, deep cleaning and setting the parameter for the tool eye that was just replaced. I didn't like the finish tool that is usually in pocket 2 and changed it out. The first finish cut I took down the face of a part with the new tool showed me what was wrong. The tool had an extreme positive rake and was setting far below center. This was making it cut .050 small. Thanks for all your input.
    tony

Re: Mazak quick turn 20 tool eye

Quote Originally Posted by CNCRim View Post
    it's quite simple to adjust the tool eye..... I will send you that info next time.
    I’ve previously done this but it’s been a while. Please send me that info. Thanks in advance