585,973 active members*
4,173 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > How are you keeping your Mill area clean?

How are you keeping your Mill area clean?

Post your Pictures of how you are keeping the mess under control with your mills.

I have curly chips EVERYWHERE in my shop and I think my wife is about to strangle me (Alum chips throughout the house...:nono:

My mill is in my basement work shop. I keep an old pair of shoes in the shop and I put them on first thing when I enter and take them off when I leave. That really cuts down on tracking chips! Then, I actually run a shop vac while i cut on the mill or lathe. I don't have a coolant system so this works great. Other than that, I sweep after every session wirh a dust broom and pan.

Cheers,
    Michael
    Reelsmith, Angling Historian, and Author of "The Reelsmith's Primer"
    www.EclecticAngler.com | www.ReelLinesPress.com

I use old carpets on the floor of my shop especially on the path into the house. Its really amazing the difference that they make. Plus just alot of sweeping the floor. I also use cardboard boxes for the chips beleive it or not for storing them. I also made a fence around the table about eight inches high. It contains alot of chips and spray from the coolant.

My washer and dryer are in the garage with all my tools. After a session, I strip down in the garage and put the clothes straight into the washer, then either grab clean clothes from the dryer or just head in and hit the shower.

Hey, you asked.

And yes, I live alone and have an attached garage.

Quote Originally Posted by TXFred View Post
    My washer and dryer are in the garage with all my tools. After a session, I strip down in the garage and put the clothes straight into the washer, then either grab clean clothes from the dryer or just head in and hit the shower.

Hey, you asked.

And yes, I live alone and have an attached garage.
    Do you do this because you live alone or is it why you live alone?

I also live alone and try my best to keep the swarf out of the carpet - I'm the one who has to clean it up. An old door mat near the exit to the workshop does the trick.
    Regards
    Geoff

Get a bench brush so sweep the chips into the floor, then use a shop-vac to suck them all up, but then again I'm not running coolant on my 7x10 mini lathe or my X2. The RF45 will be in an enclosure with a drain at the bottom for all chips and coolant to flow into a bin.

My kids call the chips "pokeys" my house. Best solution I found is an enclosure for the mill and lots of sweeping for the lathe. I have a pair of shop shoes and do not wear them in the house. Change at the door.

My work area is usually kept clean using Work Impeding Female Extraction procedure.

I use a lab coat separate shoes to keep the chips off me
    Sweep up everything into the corner with a brush
    I have concrete floor where the lathe and mill are and carpet coming out of the garage
    An air gun to blow the chips off me and to clean the floor

Quote Originally Posted by RomanLini View Post
    My work area is usually kept clean using Work Impeding Female Extraction procedure.
    thats what keeps my area dirty...as soon as i start to work she stomps on the floor or calls my cell phone :nono:
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

works for me

I have never told wifey that swarf is death to carpets. It gets into the pile it slowly saws it apart. If she ever finds out my workshop days are over (nuts)

Never mind carpets - chips and curly hair are a nightmare. Is that a gray hair - no it's 6082 :rainfro:

I find a dust pan and brush are better than a vac - but you really need to wear saftey glasses while brushing as it's very easy to flick chips up into your face.

So I came up with a working idea last night and it worked GREAT. I made up a Good version today. I used plastic strip curtain and some Rare earth Magnets from Lee Valley. Cost me $30 for the magnets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1654.jpg   IMG_1652.jpg   IMG_1653.jpg   IMG_1651.jpg  

That is one large vac hose, where did you get the flex hose like that?

Loc-Line product

http://www.loc-line.com/products/vacuum/vacuum.html

Its reasonable for price. I got most of it from Lee Valley but the cone end was from another Loc-Line supplier.

I just built an enclosure around mine.

I plan on doing the same with my little mill soon also, along with a vacuum.

rudykeppler Guest

Re: How are you keeping your Mill area clean?

Using a parallel keeper in your vise like ParaKeep brand lets you blow out chips and coolant without it spraying back all over you.

rudykeppler Guest

Re: How are you keeping your Mill area clean?

Using a ParaKeep in your vise lets you blow chips out the side without spraying them all over the place. You can get them at Parakeep.net. Keeps your vise way neater.