584,858 active members*
4,662 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > Waterjet General Topics > Newbie - To build or not to build Router/Plasma Table

Newbie - To build or not to build Router/Plasma Table

Hi all, I believe that I have gotten bit by the CNC bug, can't stop reading about it. 1st I just wanted to say that this site is AMAZING! I have looked at many sites on the internet and this is by far the best! With that being said here is my point. I am a newbie to CNC and I would like to build what I would consider at this point my dream table... a 4'x4' table that I can use either a router or a plasma cutter. I believe that I have found what I am looking for on Ebay, here is a link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...519386136&rd=1, but I want to build it. Even though I am a newbie I am not without skills. I have done woodworking and electrical for 25+ years (I'm not a youngster Self taught Mig welding for that last year. I also have an AAS degree in electronics and have been in the computer field for the last 16 years. Machining is where I lack in experience though, but not afraid to learn. I have been reading everything I can about building CNC tables but do I dare take on this dream? Go ahead - double dog dare me ... (hahaha). If anyone has plans, advice, information about building this type of table I would appreciate it. Thanks!

go for it

Hi, Dfranks,
    I found myself in your shoes a while back. I saw a plasmacam advertised in a magazine and thought it was the coolest thing I'd seen in a long time.
    Till I saw the pricetag that is.... I couldnt justify spending that much money on "another hobby". Then I found this site and figured I'd try building one myself. I knew nothing...repeat NOTHING about cnc. I built the basic table for about 5 dollars worth of scrap steel. Geckos, motors and power supply set me back about $1000.00 (ouch).
    I still dont have a plasma torch yet...need more money...(wanna buy a tractor? but my table is built and moving under the control of mach2 and sheetcam demo versions. I already had corel draw. It's amazing to design something in corel, run it through sheetcam and watch mach2 move my table.
    My wife just rolls her eyes at me.
    I'll but licenses for sheetcam and mach2 when I actually start cutting.
    Oh, and Campbells THC too.
    Anyway, I'm glad I'm building my own... then again, I'm not pressed for time.
    Its taken me a few months. If you want to get to cutting right away, maybe a purchased machine is the way to go. Your choice.
    There is lots of support on this forum.
    I'd say go for it.
    Good luck, John

John,
    Thanks so much for your reply. Our situations do indeed sound identical. I saw one of these things and thought they were cool. And you are right, buying one is out of the question, way to pricey! I am not in any hurry at all as it is just 'another hobby' for me as well. (I started last year teaching myself how to MIG weld - lost of fun, seriously!!). I'm not looking to make a living with this table so I don't want to sink a ton of money into it. I would like to try and keep it around $1000 - $1500 not including the price of the plasma cutter. I may have to selling some of my music equipment to get it. (Wanna buy a half stack amp? -jk. I also have Corel Draw and the computer is no big deal as I work in that field and can put a dedicated one together for next to nothing. Anyway thanks for the encouragement. I think it's 'full engines ahead'.

CNC Table

DFranks,
    I am in the same boat as you were awhile back. Were you able to build your CNC table and if so, do you find any plans or anything that assisted in your being able to build the table? Thanks

BCW, welcome to CncZone.
    There are a number of other users on here that have built their own cnc plasmas, and several have posted up full CAD drawings of how theirs was built. Feel free to look around the Cnc plasma forum to find the information you seek, or to even start up your own thread requesting the info and ideas you seek.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy"
    -RedGreen show.

massajamesb,
    Thnaks for the Welcome. I will continue to investigate and look through the forum.
    Thanks Again
    BCW

same boat here too

seems like an awful lot of us IT guys here hehe

just finishing up my table now (picts and build log posted in the diy wood router log section)

built a small one first for testing, nothing like seeing your own creation at work...be warned though its addicitve, i already want to build another one to test more design ideas !

this site is a gold mine for ideas and expertise, love it.

BCW
    I'm pretty much a newbie here too, I just built a table w/ a buddy of mine, plasma/router, have a thread of it here:

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47615

Just don't be afraid to try something, dig in. There are some really great guys here in the zone as you have found, start a thread when you build & keep us informed.

Have fun!

im in the same boat.. i am a welder/fabricator and want a cnc plasma for my shop ... but have no idea how to build is their a build spec on this?what to buy well thanks

Hey all,

This is my first time posting here but I thought that I might be able to add something to the conversation. I am in the process of researching the possibility of building a small CNC machine of some kind or another. On area that I don't see alot of people posting about is "Speeds and Feeds." This is probably THE largest component of machining. It is not terribly complex but it is something that will effect accuracy of your parts, as well as the life of your spindle bearings and cutters. Let me know if you need help finding information on this and I can point you in the right direction.

For a inexpensive plasma cutter, the rails, carriages and Z-axis,
    look at: NoSleep Studio

Look at thier youtube videos too.

I had them make a 3-foot by 7-foot router for me and I still am in awe of the quality of the design and craftsmanship. It is easy to put together and with the plug and play boards and software, it can be quite easy. No guarantee though!!