584,850 active members*
4,517 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hyundai Kia > Hyundai Kia 460 compared to Mori SL403

Hyundai Kia 460 compared to Mori SL403

Looking into a comparison machining between SKT460 and the Mori Seiki SL403. I am not talking about price, but 18 chuck, 12 station, every day reliability and machine maitenance issues. I have 2 SL403 and they are great, but the machine tool salesman has a SKT 460 I am going to look at on Thursday and he claims the HK are just as durable and rigid as the Mori. The price is really nice, but I just dont have the good gut feeling about the KIA. Our shop has been Mori Seiki for 20 years. What can I expect?

I think you are compare a BMW to a KIA here.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Dont get down on BMW.....Big Mexican Weomen they need love to ..Ran a Mori sl4 20 years ago and have a new SKT-15 LMS AND LOVE IT . Had the machine one year now and not any problem at all holds great tolerance fast a joy to run with the Fanuc Oi-tc control......Kia makes a great machine.....Love my mill turn with sub spindle..

Quote Originally Posted by h064801 View Post
    Looking into a comparison machining between SKT460 and the Mori Seiki SL403. I am not talking about price, but 18 chuck, 12 station, every day reliability and machine maitenance issues. I have 2 SL403 and they are great, but the machine tool salesman has a SKT 460 I am going to look at on Thursday and he claims the HK are just as durable and rigid as the Mori. The price is really nice, but I just dont have the good gut feeling about the KIA. Our shop has been Mori Seiki for 20 years. What can I expect?
    My experience is that the Hyundai-Kia machines are just as good as any Mori out there, but the Mori machines do have some extra features that are not available on the HK if you want to pay a ton more for them. I'm not really a BMW guy. A ford or Kia in this case will get you there, and with the same speed and accuracies.

personally i don't like the control buttons of a kia, looks cheap and doesnt work nice.

i would prefer a doosan instead of a kia machine, control is better functional
    mechanically a bit better finish.

also take a look at a doosan 480L or 480LM (with milling spindle)

I have had used and serviced KIA(Hyundai-KIA) for upwards of 20 years and in general they are excellent quality for the money. They are heavier than a lot of the other machines and hold sizes for years with minimal loss in accuracy. Just my opinion.

The best value you going

Mori is a good machine but lets face it.....there are a number of well engineered well built and well supported machines on the market today that offer a much better value and Hyundai-Kia is one of those on the move. Component for component and pound for pound, one the best engineered machines on the market today. We have looked at both of these and several others. Hyundai-Kia, Mori, Okuma, Makino, and a few others use the same class, size, and quality bearings, ball screws, motors, drives, controls, and switches, etc. They all use Meehanite base castings and model for model, they weigh in about the same. Hyundai-kia is backed by the Hyundai motor group which is one of the strongest companies in the world. Their cars are consistently ranked among the best in reliability and performance. The Hyundai Genesis was the 2009 Car of the Year.

In talking to alot of Mori and Okuma users that have bought Hyundai-Kia machines, I hear a common thread and that is they can hardly tell the difference the quality is so close and without paying 30 to 40% more, you can almost buy 2 for what you pay for a Mori these days. Oh, and stay away from the Dura models, Mori's cheaper line of machines because they are really not the Mori you think you are buying. As for Doosan, it isn't a Daewoo; at least not anymore. Talk to anyone thats had older Daewoos and new Doosans and they can attest to that.

Went yesterday to look at SKT460 and a 400. The response from the owners was very positive. Watched the 460 run. Took off the back panels and I was totally impressed. There was a group of 4 of us that went on this trip and we came away satsifed with the results. All of the electonic(drives/motors/controls) on the machine are Faunc. We are going to purchase 3 of the SKT460's and 1 SKT300. We did not need to pay for all the extra's on the Mori that we just dont use. Thanks to those for the input on the thread.

Nice! You probably got twice the machine for the same $. Mori has just gotten too expensive for what they are.

I'm a Mori guy all the way. but the larger Kia's aren't bad. Mori is the largest builder in the world now, so the Kia motor company comment really does not apply, and it's kia heavy equipment your dealing with. I personally don't think you will be sorry with the kia.