585,599 active members*
3,734 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Angry g code problem

Hi,

I think someone will be able to help easily with this one.....I'm using kellyware software and when I import a dxf or hpgl file jthe g code puts down the z axis at the start and only lifts it off at the end, so it cuts the letters ok but runs from one letter to the next without lifting off and and usually chops them in half.
    Basically the question is...how do I get the Z axis to lift off between cutting each letter????

plz help...I'm new to all this and its driving me crazy!!!

Mmm, that's handy. There's got to be a "move to clearance" setting in there somewhere. Failing that, draw your own moves to clearance between the letters, if the software works in 3d.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Check This Out!

Plz Help. My Z axis doesn't lift off between each letter. How do I get it to do so?? The imported dxf isn't giving any z info. I'm running with kellyware software but also have this problem with all softwares inc mach 2.
    Any help however small appreciated......thanks!!!

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

thanks mr huflung dong!

thanks for the info.....seems i just have to do it myself hey! ....oh well......

thankls again..... I got another question for you.....sorry to keep asking...... I drew up some lettering that was like 350 mm high ( about 12 inches) when I ran it to the machine it came out like 2 inches......can you help me sort that???.....I really appreciate your help....thanks!

If you want to post the gcode file (as a text file would be fine), I can backplot it for a look. Doesn't sound like an inch/metric conversion factor, but it could be something like running absolute coordinate code on a machine running in incremental mode.

If your z axis is not lifting off when you import a dxf file into k-cam,look at the g-code and see if it is not making a return to the clearance height after each letter. check in setup and go to options and check the DXF part and play around with the z axis . and another thing you might try is to single step the program without the motors running and the spindle going. but take this advice with a grain of salt,because i just got my cnc router going about 3 weeks ago and just now trying to get it going and now my hang up is in the software, using autocad 14 and kellycam. and some times turbocnc. G-code is were my hangup is,but this is very interesting. also this is a very good website..cheers

[quote=SIMONSIGNS;84605]Plz Help. My Z axis doesn't lift off between each letter. How do I get it to do so?? The imported dxf isn't giving any z info. I'm running with kellyware software but also have this problem with all softwares inc mach 2.

I think you have to set the Z travel height in setup/ travel height.
    Try that.As below

Step 1 Table Setup window

Select the Units of Measurement you use (Metric or Imperial).
    Select the Numerical Format (ex. 000.0000).
    Enter the Steps per in for each Axis (ex 4000 IPM).
    Enter the Lengths for each Axis (ex. 10 Inches).
    Enter the Backlash distance(ex. .0125 Inches) for each axis(optional).
    Enter the Feed Rates. (Traveling, Cutting and Jogging).

--- Enter a Travel Depth for the Z Axis(ex. 0.50 for 2D DXF and HPGL importing).

Enter a Normal Cut Depth for the Z Axis(ex. 0.125 for 2D DXF and HPGL importing).

Enter a Deep Cut Depth for the Z Axis(ex. 0.00 for 2D DXF and HPGL importing).
    Select Backlash to True if the Backlash distances are known(optional).
    Select Ramping to True if you wish Ramp Up/Down function to occur.
    Enter a Ramp Start IPM (5 recommended).
    Select a Ramp Rate (50 recommended).
    Enter the Maximum Feed Rates for each axis.
    Select the OK button.
    Also under options/dxf/ make sure ignore z depth isn't checked.

KCam Help

As for size, check Functions/Gcode/size scale in setup.

Hope that helps....Jimini

WHOOPS didn't notice the age of the post, but better late than never.lol