584,871 active members*
5,261 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 2 12

Unhappy Diagnostic Parameters

Can someone tell me how to go about finding out which diagnostic parameter is for certain applications. I have a GE Fanuc O-T control that uses the B gcode system. I have the GE Fanuc Operators manual and the GE Fanuc Maintenance manual. Both books show parameters however they are the system parameters. Where is the list of what the diagnostic parameters do? I also have the MTB manuals. One of them is the electrical diagrams. Im not too sure how to read them. As most of you know a little knowledge can be devastating to a CNC control!

The Diagnostic parameters are completely defined by the machine tool builder. With a Series 0 CNC, they begin at address 300 and go up from there. They may consist of Timers, Counters, and Keep Relays. Since the assignment of them is up to the MTB, you won't find any definitions of them in the FANUC manuals. You'll have to consult the MTB documentation or try contacting the MTB or distributor for information.

Thank you. I guess I'll start making phone calls.

Spoke with MTB today. They seem to believe the problem lies with a keep relay related to the bar feeder. They think its looking for a signal from it. Makes sense. The claim I can deactivate the bar feeder in the control. I would like to do this however I don't know the symbols very well. i know what a switch looks like. What does a keep relay look like? How do i know what parameter it is liked to? These diagrams all have symbols. Is there somewhere I can go to learn more about these symbols?

The PMC K/L/M/P Programming Manual defines all the Symbols, but basically a Keep Relay can be displayed as a Coil (circle on the RH side of the network) or as a Normally Open or Normally Closed contact (similar to a switch). The Keep Relay will have an address (Dnnn.n) that identifies the Keep Relay. For example, you may see something like D350.3 next to the coil or contact.

However, you really don't need to look at the ladder display if the MTB has provided you with a specific Diagnostic bit.

In order to change a Diagnostics bit, you need to do the following:

1. Go to MDI mode
    2. Set the Program Protect keyswitch to enable program editing
    3. Set Parameter Write Enable = 1 on the upper CNC Parameter page.
    4. Go to the Diagnostics page and page down (or search) to the desired diagnostic address (e.g. 0350).
    4. Enter the new value and press the INPUT key.
    5. Go back to the CNC Parameter page and set the Parameter Write Enable = 0

Note: You'll get a message 100 displayed after step 3, but it is normal.

Hi Lovell,

I am assuming there is an alarm that occurs when you have this problem?
    note the alarm number.
    If you have a paper copy of the ladder there might well be a list of addresses
    search for the alarm number
    note the A[n.n] number this is the marker for this alarm

you need to find the coil of this in the ladder it will look like -()- and will be on the right hand side of the screen

everything to the left of this icon may cause the ladder to either come on or stay off.

If you watch the ladder when the alarm occurs to see what is switching on/off you will be able to trace the alarm to its cause.

X bits are signals from cnc switches -|/|- NC -| |- NO
    Y's are outputs to machine
    R's are internal PLC relays
    K's are keeprelays turned on/off with diagnostic bits
    *~~Darwinian Man, though well-behaved, At best is only a monkey shaved!~~*
    *__________If you feel inclined to pay for the support you receive__________*
    *_______Please give to charity https://www.oxfam.org.au/get-involved/_______*

Mystic Monkey,

Thank you for that information. I wasn't sure what to look for but with your explanation that helps a great deal. I am not getting an alarm. The machine just stops when the chuck is open. I am assuming it needed a signal that it was not getting. The MTB seems to think it has something to do with the bar feeder that is no longer attached. He told I had to find the keep relay for the bar feeder and turn it off. H e could not however tell me where to look due to the age of this machine and his youth. Apparently he is younger than the machine. Here is what I see when the chuck opens and closes on the ladder diagram.
    F292.7 R502.0 G121.5
    --I/I--------I/I---------------------------------------------------------O--
    always lit I<----- this area dims when the chuck is open ------------------->
    According to the screen at the upper right hand corner it has NET 0001-0005 if that means anything.

You are looking for a bit that has the address Dnnn.n where the 'n' is a numeric address value. You may find several different ones so it may not be immediately clear to you which one does the trick.

The Series 0 control does not display Symbols & Comments so that makes it a bit difficult to identify what each bit represents. If you have a ladder printout, they hopefully kept the Symbols & Comments in when they printed it so it would help you identify a bar feed enable D bit.

CNC,

I just noticed when the machine has the chuck open using M codes the cycle start light will switch to cycle stop status after about a minute. The message screen states the chuck is open the ladder digram I posted earlier is not lit up however when I press reset it re lights.

not sure that info helps a lot with figuring out how to disable the function. You may want to record all the Dnnn.n bits that you find in the ladder. Then, try to figure out the definition of each one. Much easier to do if you have a printed copy of the ladder that contains Symbols & Comments. Otherwise, you may have to get a skilled machine serviceman out to find the Y bits that deal with the barfeed and chase the signals backwards as to what controls it.

Problem Solved,

To all those who helped me THANK YOU! It turned out to be a proximity switch that was not putting out enough voltage to make the signal if that makes any sense. I'll never trust the little red light again!

Again thanks to all!

John

i have a miyano ANC45, we lost the memory due to memory card replacment, we have the backup and installed the general parameter but we are unable to upload diagnostic parameter in to it, can anyone help me out about this problem,,??

Quote Originally Posted by parveenk78 View Post
    i have a miyano ANC45, we lost the memory due to memory card replacment, we have the backup and installed the general parameter but we are unable to upload diagnostic parameter in to it, can anyone help me out about this problem,,??
    I have the same problem here with my nakamura lathe, fanuc otc, loaded all the parameters,but do not allow me to load the diagnostics parameters, any suggestion?

Re: Diagnostic Parameters

You may have to switch them on manually

Quote Originally Posted by daborcito View Post
    I have the same problem here with my nakamura lathe, fanuc otc, loaded all the parameters,but do not allow me to load the diagnostics parameters, any suggestion?
    How di you solve your problem?
    I have the same problem
    Thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Omssrls View Post
    How di you solve your problem?
    I have the same problem
    Thank you
    PWE =1
    Check the Edit key. Should be in the OFF position.
    Regards

ALex FANUC

my fanuc om will only allow me to change/input parameters for #500-509 using the procedure above. Any ideas how to input the rest of the parameters?

Have you got your parameter write enable on ? Where are you there maybe a local service depot that can assist

Quote Originally Posted by mbservice View Post
    Have you got your parameter write enable on ? Where are you there maybe a local service depot that can assist
    Yes it is enabled. I've entered all the NC parameters and now I'm trying to enter the diagnostic parameters and that is where it only allows me to enter parameter #500 to 509? Please help!

Press the E Stop and try if not you may have to contact Fanuc or another service engineer

Page 1 of 2 12