585,932 active members*
3,762 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Lube pump

Lube pump

I've got a bijur lube pump on my Bp. Just got the lube pump hooked up a couple of days ago. Unfortunately, I think I probably fried the low level switch in the process.

That problem aside, how can I prove that the pump is actually working? It's currently hooked up to 120vac and has been running nearly 24 hours. Put an ammeter on it, and it appears to be drawing about 0.02 amps, which seems reasonable for a clock motor.

Certainly there is an old thread explaining how to trouble shoot the way lube plumbing, but I've not been able to find it.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Tom

Tom, can you possibly disconnect a oil line, put a paper towel under that, and see if oil is delivered through that line on the paper towel?

i

We did that, and don't see any oil coming out.

It there some sort of a metering device, or orifice, or whatever in each line?

I suppose a call to Bijur is in order.

Thanks

Tom

How long did you wait for oil to come out?

i

On most older Bridgeport, the oiler runs only when the spindle is on.
    It runs a cam that lifts the plunger. This takes about 20 minutes. The lever for the plunger falls off the edge of the cam and pumps oil. It is spring loaded.
    Yes, there are metering units that hold pressure and thus oil flows at a predetermined volume though each one. If the metering units were not there the oil would go through the path of least resistance and the rest of the machine would get no oil.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

This is a BOSS 5 machine, or should I say nee BOSS 5 machine. All of the guts are outside in my trash can.

I have, at the moment, the power cord to the lube pump plugged into an extension cord. We have a PC installed, and the steppers are hooked up and working, a VFD turning the spindle, and the machine has actually just made itself its first part, a mount for the Geckos, heat sink, and Bob.

One by one, I'm tracking down the wiring to each of the original components and wiring them up to the Bob, or dealing with them otherwise.

Former owner said that this lube pump never delivered much oil, it was a pretty neat running mill. The lube pump has been plugged in for more than 24 hours, and I've not seen any oil anywhere, and the plunger doesn't appear to have moved.

How often should I expect the plunger to move up and down?

Thanks

Tom

is the oil level in the oil reservoir, high?

call bijur tomorrow

About every 20 minutes, it should pump oil. You should see the plunger lift very slowly but then it drops to pump.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Oil level is full.

Thanks

Tom

I finally fixed my bijur pump on my BP S2 a few months ago. Mine the motor turned, and the gears inside would slowly rotate, when I initially rebuilt the machine I thought it was working, but it wasn't. There is a roll pin that links the cam (mentioned above) to the large spur gear, my roll pin had sheared. There really isn't much of any room for anything but a roll pin in there, but I got mine going w/ a #10 machine screw until I got the proper parts.

Anyhow, there is also a screen filter on the oil pump pickup, and as mentioned above, you can pull the pump plunger and lube it manually if there is concern about the automatic stuff. It is actually recommended to manually plunge it a few times before starting the spindle on the machines where it only runs when the spindle runs.

Once you get oil flowing, either auto or manual, make sure it is getting everywhere it should, mine was not oiling one side of the y ways and the quill bore was scored up from not getting oil in the past.

I also have the instruction manual for the oiler that came on my BP, if you want it, PM me w/ an email address and I will get it to you.

Good Luck,
    Jason

Pulled my pump apart tonight. The clock motor runs, but doesn't turn the gear train in the clock works underneath. The first gear inside the clock works turns freely.

Stuck a screwdriver down the shaft and turned it counter clockwise until the plunger went all the way to the top of the stroke and then free fell to the bottom. So now have a working (I hope) manual pump.

Cleaned everything up except the oil tank. Need to dump the oil out into a clean container, then clean all the gunk (if any) out of the bottom of the tank, then reassemble and check for proper operation, then check each of the nozzles to made sure each nozzle is delivering lube oil to its proper components.

My mind can rest a lot easier once I see that all sliding components are being lubed.

Once I know the pump works (tomorrow, hopefully) I'll call Bijur and see about ordering a new clock works.

Tom

Called Bijur about a replacement clock works. Might be cheaper to keep buying used mills until I find one which works. Almost $400.

About 1 1/2" of sludge in the bottom of the pump reservoir. Cleaned everything out, reassembled, the pump works, manually.

The outlet line from the pump goes to a tee. From the tee a flex line goes forward to the knee. Oil appears to be moving that direction, as there is fresh oil on the front of the X ways. Haven't seen yet on the Y ways.

From the tee a one way valve feeds a flex line which goes up to the head. No oil is reaching the head. Discovered that the one way valve (at the tee) is not passing oil, and another one way valve in the head will not pass oil when I attach it to the same tee.

Have an idea this mill has been parked for about ten years.

Can the one way valves be cleaned in some sort of solvent to free them up, or is this a replacement only process? Anyone have a source for these valve where I won't have to give up my first-born?

Anyone know how many of these valves there are?

Is there a previous thread discussing servicing the lube distribution system?

Thanks

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lube pump 019.JPG   lube pump 020.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    Called Bijur about a replacement clock works. Might be cheaper to keep buying used mills until I find one which works. Almost $400.

About 1 1/2" of sludge in the bottom of the pump reservoir. Cleaned everything out, reassembled, the pump works, manually.

The outlet line from the pump goes to a tee. From the tee a flex line goes forward to the knee. Oil appears to be moving that direction, as there is fresh oil on the front of the X ways. Haven't seen yet on the Y ways.

From the tee a one way valve feeds a flex line which goes up to the head. No oil is reaching the head. Discovered that the one way valve (at the tee) is not passing oil, and another one way valve in the head will not pass oil when I attach it to the same tee.

Have an idea this mill has been parked for about ten years.

Can the one way valves be cleaned in some sort of solvent to free them up, or is this a replacement only process? Anyone have a source for these valve where I won't have to give up my first-born?

Anyone know how many of these valves there are?

Is there a previous thread discussing servicing the lube distribution system?

Thanks

Tom
    Tom, I may have that sort of a Bijur pump, I can look it up in my iple if you aer interested.

Igor

Quote Originally Posted by ichudov View Post
    Tom, I may have that sort of a Bijur pump, I can look it up in my iple if you aer interested.

Igor
    I am interested...

Tom