585,974 active members*
4,219 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Solidworks > Material properties for carbon fiber tubes in solidworks simulation

Material properties for carbon fiber tubes in solidworks simulation

Hi,

I am trying to simulate a structure containing carbon fiber tubing, however it appears that the solidworks materials for carbon fibers are missing a load of properties. Does anyone know where i can find material properties for carbon fiber tubing?

Does anyone know of a better supplier who might publish such details?

Quote Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to simulate a structure containing carbon fiber tubing, however it appears that the solidworks materials for carbon fibers are missing a load of properties. Does anyone know where i can find material properties for carbon fiber tubing?

Does anyone know of a better supplier who might publish such details?
    I have not done this with Carbon Fiber tube but based upon experience with other materials you will have to do the testing yourself in the lab. Carbon fiber composites have so many variants of the compents I don't believe you would have a very accurate model unless you tested the actual material you intend to use.

Actually I found most of the parameters i needed from these guys: http://www.carbonfibertubes.co.uk/technology.html

I apreciate that the results wont be anywhere near 100% accurate, and that lab verification will be required. The problem is on the scale i am working, each mechanism has $400 worth of CF tubing in it, so it would be pretty expensive to spec the wrong size.

My initial plan was to buy a single beam of the material, constrain one end, apply a load similar to my max working load, and check the deflection matches my FEA results. I dont have the equiptment to test it much further then that.

When the whole mechanism is done i will redo my overload tests with the prototype, as they are required for safety testing anyway.

analysis of carbon fiber tube

hello dear, i have the same problem, i want to analyzed a carbon fiber tube, i do not have the material properties, just i have the stiffness (90-100 Gpa) and density(1.65 g/cm^3), i want to analyzed this in anys , but i dont know how can i modeled this in ANSYS. If you have got some solution, can you help me in this regard, a help in this regard will be appreciated........