585,741 active members*
5,039 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Smithy > I finally recieved my new machine.

I finally recieved my new machine.

2 hour drive from freight co, 2.5 hours to assemble the table it sits on, 6 guys to move it into my building. engine hoist to set it on the table.

I still have to set all the bearing surfaces and reduce backlash, then buy a couple items before I can actually do anything with it.

A neighbor dropped by with these HSS cutters, all appear to be hand ground and in fairly good shape. He's asking 2 bucks per each cutter. Do you think its a good buy?

Your joking right?

$2.00 each for those tools is a bit much - check out www.use-enco.com to see what new tool bits would cost.

You can purchase blank, HSS stock, or even carbide tipped, pre-ground tool bits.

Machine looks nice though!

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D
    $2.00 each for those tools is a bit much - check out www.use-enco.com to see what new tool bits would cost.

You can purchase blank, HSS stock, or even carbide tipped, pre-ground tool bits.

Chris

I have to admit that I know next to nothing about using this machine, But I've been drafting for about 15 years. Currently trying to find an adult vocational class in machining to learn the correct ways to do things without loosing fingers or damaging the machine.

Give the neighbor the $2 a piece for them. Then ask him for lessons on how to use them properly.
    Dustin B.
    ================
    I hear and I forget.
    I see and I remember.
    I do and I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D

Chris
    Chris
    Your joking aren't you. I'd rather give 5.00 for a pre ground tool than 50 cents for a new one. Whats your time worth. I almost always buy used preground tools as they are usually top grade tool steel as oposed to inport who knows what for a 1.00 or so a bit. After spending a few dollars on used tools over the years I rarely have to start a new tool forom scratch no mater what the need. And most often they were ground by someone that knew what they are doing.

Garry

Somewhat true...

Quote Originally Posted by gmfoster
    Chris
    Your joking aren't you. I'd rather give 5.00 for a pre ground tool than 50 cents for a new one. Whats your time worth. I almost always buy used preground tools as they are usually top grade tool steel as oposed to inport who knows what for a 1.00 or so a bit. After spending a few dollars on used tools over the years I rarely have to start a new tool forom scratch no mater what the need. And most often they were ground by someone that knew what they are doing.

Garry

While it may take less time using a pre-ground tool, you can also buy pre-ground tools new for a couple of bucks. Looking at the tools in the photo, I wouldn't say they look all that great. So, now you have the situation of $2.00 for a hand ground tool that may be right, or it may not be right. If you have ground any tools, you know there is a difference between a properly ground tool and one that isn't.

By buying some new, pre-ground tools, you have something that is ground to work and will work in most cases (even the cheap imports). This can be used as a guide to re-sharpen used tools or even a tool from a raw blank.

Of course, this is just my opinion, yours is different and that is fine, I really don't care to debate it.

Chris

where is a good place to buy pre ground hss tools?

a little update.

I do have a few gripes about the machine so far, fine mill feed was
    very sloppy due to metal fragments in the worm gear assy (took me
    awhile to find the problem)

The gibs are ground a bit sloppy and need a good polishing. The fly
    cutters 2 had stripped allen screws, and the adjustable angle vise
    bolt pattern won't work with my cross table.

I have to ether buy or make a cross table height spacer to get my work
    high enough to use my mill. Smithy sells a table that will do the
    trick for 210.00 but I was thinking about sand casting a 5 sided cube
    3/4 inch thick that I could bolt down to my cross table and mill the
    top then try cutting t slots down it for my hold down clamps.

The instruction manual for the machine is written for people with more
    experience than me and is a bit hard to follow.

What did that Machine run ya brand new?
    Rick Merrill
    SSG U.S. Army
    11B3V
    USAMU Custom Firearms Shop