585,754 active members*
4,168 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: rotary table

rotary table

Found a rotary table close by, almost local. Asking $380. Will need to add a stepper. 12" table, made by Tryoke.

Would this table be a suitable table to convert to cnc?

Is this a reasonable price?

Can anyone suggest an appropriate stepper motor for this?

Thanks

Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg  

rotary table

check out
    http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index....Product_ID=105

yes only a 4" rotary table but with stepper motor and controller. out of the box plug together and play (make chips)

http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-1-...y-Table/T10053
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-1-...y-Table/T10054

4 and 3 jaw chucks for mounting to rotary table

Quote Originally Posted by DMF_TomB View Post
    check out
    http://www.sherlinedirect.com/index....Product_ID=105

yes only a 4" rotary table but with stepper motor and controller. out of the box plug together and play (make chips)
    I'm familiar with the Sherline rotary table, as I have one. But I'm a bit peeved with Sherline as they tell me I can't convert my manual rt to cnc, must buy a new one instead. And the self contained version is not an option, as I'm wanting to do art work on a cylinder. So I need a cnc rt which can be driven directly from EMC2.

Actually, I like this idea. Had never thought of bolting down a chuck to the rt. Sherline has a bolt sort of thing to attach the chuck to the rt, but it really needs some outboard support. PN 1187 is one part, can't find the other part at the moment.

But, I'm really looking for a 9" to 14" table.

Tom

Most any quality rotary table lends itself to conversion. To minimize backlash though, you would want to always go in one direction, unless your tolerances can live with whatever your backlash is.

On an aside note, a 12" rotary table is Verrrrry heavy. Mine is over 150 lbs. I rarely us it for this reason. My 8" is about at my limit for "handiness".
    Dean

Went and looked at this rotary table yesterday. Guy doesn't know what it weighs, but he estimates it as 200 lb. Lots of beef. I could not detect any backlash.

Plans are to engrave artwork on the outside of a cylinder. Wonder how one could teach a cam program to only turn the rt in one direction?

Interestingly enough, just ran across a thread on the Tormach forum on ways of moving rt's and vises between the table and storage location. Couldn't have found it at a better time. I can probably move my 50 lb vise myself, but don't want to. And I doubt seriously if I can lift a 200 lb rt from the floor to the table.

Going to have to build some sort of lifting device, either on a boom or overhead, then build dedicated storage positions for heavy items.

Life with the Bp is different than life with the Sherline.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by TarHeelTom View Post
    Plans are to engrave artwork on the outside of a cylinder. Wonder how one could teach a cam program to only turn the rt in one direction?
    Possibly using "incremental" rather than "absolute" ?? Just a guess, however, since I've only done 3-axis CNC programming (and 5-axis CMM programming).

Actually, it's fairly simple. You are never going to move the Y axis, once your tool is centered.

You make up a flat drawing in a normal X-Y manner, then basically just replace Y with A times a multiplier. Changing the mulitplier changes the "height" of the drawing around the cylinder.

Tom

Bought that monster rt tonight and brought it home. It's sitting on our "work stand" (a plastic cooler) and is in the way. Need to make a shelf to mount it and the vise side by side on the wall, then build some way of lifting it. Thinking of building a light duty rolling gantry on the ceiling.

Tom

Bought that monster rt tonight and brought it home.
    I hope it spins-true. The last one I used had about .020 of "wobble" in it from 0 deg to 180 deg (used as horizontal-spin 4th axis). It was a behemoth too (took 2 people to lift it safely).

Quote Originally Posted by D-Money View Post
    I hope it spins-true. The last one I used had about .020 of "wobble" in it from 0 deg to 180 deg (used as horizontal-spin 4th axis).
    I hope it does too. Suppose if it doesn't, it could be trued up, but not something I'm anxious to do. Wish someone had told me to check for that before I bought it.

If not, the manufacturer is only a two hour drive away. They might be willing to help true it up.

Would be a lot easier to post this message if I could keep the kitten off the keyboard.

Tom

I hope it does too. Suppose if it doesn't, it could be trued up, but not something I'm anxious to do. Wish someone had told me to check for that before I bought it.
    We thought ours was good too (company had it for years), until we scrapped out a $5000 piston-housing due to the "wobble" throwing off the location of the "oil holes"