585,975 active members*
4,635 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Storing 4th axis and vise

I thought I had asked this before, but it might have been in another thread so i decided to start a new one.

I need to store my 4th axis and vise in such a way to limit lifting as I have a neck injury and just want to be safe and limit any heavy lifting.

I have considered several options.

1. A cart that can store the items with a simple arm that rotates and places on them on the table. Only concern with this option is I could turn the cart over so would need to be offset somehow.

2. Mounting an arm to the side of the upright where the tray arms are mounted and simply swinging the items to a rack setup in the back of the splash tray. Only problem is will the weight affect the machine (doubt it) and two will need a cover to keep chips from getting into them while not being used.

I have considered leaving the 4th axis on the machine, but could use the room and considered the weight on one side of my slide all of the time could actually warp it.

Open for suggestions... Whatever I do will probably do the same for the chucks or anything heavy I need to limit lifting on.

Magnum: As it is now I store my 4th axis (8"rotary table with mounted 6" 3 jaw chuck under the Tormach in the front cabinet of the deluxe stand. As I am getting older it’s getting more difficult to lift the 4th axis from down below and up onto the mill table. Also I have a equally heavy Kurt D688 vise that often gets switched with the 4th axis RT. The vise is also stored on the floor and I have to bend down to pick it up. I am thinking now of building a shelf on the opposite wall just in front of my Tormach so that no bending is required and just lift the vise or RT, turn and place at the same level. I think something as simple as plastic sheeting should keep the swarf off of these items placed on the shelf. BTW my shop room that houses my Tormach PCNC and 12x36 lathe is only 6' x 13' so a rolling cabinet is out of the question. Also the Kurt D688 vise comes with sheet metal plates that act as lead screw covers.

Don

Don,

My space is about 12x12 for my 770 and G602 lathe, but i do have a full basement I can use if needed. Although the city said I can only use 30% of the house. But I want to keep everything as compact as possible.

I'll post some links I found, if I can find them again. Not sure how the 1100 is, but there is wasted space behind the column that I am thinking could house most of my stuff. The problem would be trying to move it.

Plastic should be fine, perhaps a 8020 frame and a door that can swing open that simply keeps the splash and swarf out. I replaced the lower metal guard with a simple lexan shield and that is all that is needed. Now I can get to the electrical outlets if needed with all of the side frames installed.

I was also thinking of something like this truck crane that could lift the RT or vise and swing over to the shelf. http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...rane-1647.html

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    I was also thinking of something like this truck crane that could lift the RT or vise and swing over to the shelf. http://www.harborfreight.com/automot...rane-1647.html

Don
    Actually not a bad idea.. Check out his link. I like the Vise Caddy mentioned in the post. But the truck cane seems like an easier solution.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...0/#post1036714

Another option is an overhead track and trolley. Even though the vise and 4th axis are a b***h to lift, they're lightweight as far as material handling hardware is concerned, so it needn't be expensive.

For about $50 at McMaster-Carr, I got a piece of Unistrut track and a four-wheel trolley. I lagged the Unistrut into the joists over the PCNC and was good to go.

The only other thing needed is a chain fall, which you may already have. If you don't, Frank Ford shows how to make a nifty one on his website: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...minihoist.html

Quote Originally Posted by dkaustin View Post
    Another option is an overhead track and trolley. Even though the vise and 4th axis are a b***h to lift, they're lightweight as far as material handling hardware is concerned, so it needn't be expensive.

For about $50 at McMaster-Carr, I got a piece of Unistrut track and a four-wheel trolley. I lagged the Unistrut into the joists over the PCNC and was good to go.

The only other thing needed is a chain fall, which you may already have. If you don't, Frank Ford shows how to make a nifty one on his website: http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Pr...minihoist.html
    I have a chain fall. Thanks for the great idea. BTW Frank Ford's website is really cool.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by dkaustin View Post

Thanks for the idea. My only problem with this idea is I have a finish basement in the area I have my machines (at least sheetrock on ceilings and walls). I would hate to have to mess that up.

I bought a 660 lbs scissor lift table that stores under one of the wings of the chip tray. I usually keep the Duality lathe and vise on it when they are not being used.

Len
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SCISSOR-DOWN.jpg   SCISSOR-UP.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by LENS_CAD View Post
    I bought a 660 lbs scissor lift table that stores under one of the wings of the chip tray. I usually keep the Duality lathe and vise on it when they are not being used.

Len
    I bought that same cart. I used it to roll the pieces for my 770 into my garage for re-assembly as well as moving my Grizzly in and installing it.

I might just do the same thing as you have, it will but the cart out of the way as well..

Only thing I need is perhaps a slide to simply just roll the parts from the cart to the mill.

Thanks for the idea!