586,009 active members*
4,905 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Why is there so much dischord here?

Why is there so much dischord here?

As a Tormach machine owner, I appreciate and value having a forum dedicated to discussions with fellow Tormach owners. However, I more often find value in learning from the experiences of fellow machinists in general, regardless of the brand of their machine. I see the fact that other machine owners are participating in discussions in the Tormach forum not as a nuisance but as a validation of the significance of the Tormach user community, and the amount of traffic occuring in this forum vs other machine forums seems to be testiment to the market-segment-leading position which Tormach has earned.

I don't see how discussions involving non-Tormach products is rude to the forum sponser at all. Blatent commercial promotion of competing products would be rude, for sure, but that's not what I'm seeing here. Instead, I do seem to be reading a lot of reactionary hostility from Tormach owners to non-Tormach owners, and I really don't understand the source of it. Sure, some of the folks posting here may be trolls and worthy of ignoring, but why stink up the overall atmosphere here with so much overt hostility in return? I say, let discussions go where they may, let thread originators nudge things back on topic when needed, but for goodness sake let's not discount the input of contributors based solely on the brand of machine they own!

Give us a clue, what and where

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by bobeson View Post
    As a Tormach machine owner, I appreciate and value having a forum dedicated to discussions with fellow Tormach owners. However, I more often find value in learning from the experiences of fellow machinists in general, regardless of the brand of their machine. I see the fact that other machine owners are participating in discussions in the Tormach forum not as a nuisance but as a validation of the significance of the Tormach user community, and the amount of traffic occuring in this forum vs other machine forums seems to be testiment to the market-segment-leading position which Tormach has earned.

I don't see how discussions involving non-Tormach products is rude to the forum sponser at all. Blatent commercial promotion of competing products would be rude, for sure, but that's not what I'm seeing here. Instead, I do seem to be reading a lot of reactionary hostility from Tormach owners to non-Tormach owners, and I really don't understand the source of it. Sure, some of the folks posting here may be trolls and worthy of ignoring, but why stink up the overall atmosphere here with so much overt hostility in return? I say, let discussions go where they may, let thread originators nudge things back on topic when needed, but for goodness sake let's not discount the input of contributors based solely on the brand of machine they own!

Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
    Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
    [a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
    Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
    Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
    [aloud]
    Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Gf8NK1WAOc"]YouTube- Hilarious Casablanca Clip[/nomedia]

I totally agree. My posts constantly get belittled by Don Clement and Magnum164. Not with any backing information on why my information may or may not be helpful, but just comments like "Get out of here troll" and drivel like that. Which I am sure one of the two will be on this post soon to say something silly or not related to the post.

In fact Magnum164 apologized about one post in a PM to me. But went right back to his original intent.

I haven't been in any other forums on CNCzone that are like this one. But maybe because a few select people only stay in this forum and not try and help others in other forums.

I just use the ignore button

Quote Originally Posted by g29cc View Post
    I totally agree. My posts constantly get belittled by Don Clement and Magnum164. Not with any backing information on why my information may or may not be helpful, but just comments like "Get out of here troll" and drivel like that. Which I am sure one of the two will be on this post soon to say something silly or not related to the post.

In fact Magnum164 apologized about one post in a PM to me. But went right back to his original intent.

I haven't been in any other forums on CNCzone that are like this one. But maybe because a few select people only stay in this forum and not try and help others in other forums.

There used to be a lot of good info on Alt.cnc and rec.craftsmetalworking, but a few self appointed "leaders" took over and drove people away. Some people just can't resist acting out the role of Fuhrer- if you've ever dealt with an HOA you know what I mean.

Please report all negative posts, and they'll be removed. Repeat offenders will be warned, and banned if need be.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The ignore button only works well when one can filter out posts with legitimate useful content from the flood of spurious posts. The effect of this flood of spurious posts is making it very hard to find useful information on the Tormach forum. It is true that sometimes useful information is posted by extraneous posters but one has to find that useful information buried under the tsunami of waste. Could it be that the real intention of the extraneous poster's flooding the Tormach forum with spurious posts is to aid some competitor while at the same time feigning offense to those that object?

Don

These forums are set up so that there is a separate section for each brand of machine. Why would you post info about a different machine under the Tormach brand section unless it was used in a comparison?

Quote Originally Posted by compunerdy View Post
    These forums are set up so that there is a separate section for each brand of machine. Why would you post info about a different machine under the Tormach brand section unless it was used in a comparison?
    It seems especially suspicious when the extraneous poster injects the name of a competitor in the subject line when creating these posts. IMO most of the comparison type of posts are just a thinly veiled attempts to inject a competitor’s name onto the Tormach forum, often the competitor is also listed in the subject line of such posts. “I’m shocked , shocked…”

Don

In fact Magnum164 apologized about one post in a PM to me. But went right
    You are correct... The post I apologized for was indeed harsh and I apologized for.

However, please do not mistake someone telling you something is in the wrong forum as being mean spirited. That post was moved to the correct forum by the moderators as it should have been.

In fact my original reply to you is still there and very complimentary... But still feel it was in the wrong forum:wave:

You mean like this one:

"Rick: How can you close me up? On what grounds?
    Captain Renault: I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!
    [a croupier hands Renault a pile of money]
    Croupier: Your winnings, sir.
    Captain Renault: [sotto voce] Oh, thank you very much.
    [aloud]
    Captain Renault: Everybody out at once!"

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    ......but one has to find that useful information buried under the tsunami of waste......
    Don

Smile

Phil; Add more spurious information to lower the S/N even more or is this just the uncorrelated lurking variable?

Boberson, I agree. Thanks for posting.. it seems to me there are a small number of folks that tend to be rude to others/each other and give this forum a bit of a bad rep.

david

IMO rudeness is also flooding the forum with spurious posts so it's hard to filter out useful information.

Don

I am glad to see others agree and see this as well. It only takes a few to ruin it for everyone.

For the first time ever , have I put people on the ignore list. Most people I'll read their comments, but these weren't even anything related or worthwhile to waste time reading LOL.

Perhaps you could explain the machining/Tormach content in your post #3.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Don Clement View Post
    Phil; Add more spurious information to lower the S/N even more or is this just the uncorrelated lurking variable?

Here's an idea. When a post is in the wrong forum, use the "report post" icon and report it as such, so the moderators can move it. It's obvious that ranting about it isn't working.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post

Phil
    Phil: Isn't this non-machining Tormach thread cathartic and keeping the non-machining posts corralled up onto one thread making the S/N high on the rest of the forum?

Posting on this thread is every bit as good as swallowing huge amounts of psyllium husks with a couple of litres of water :-)

Thank you Surf City Bob for starting this thread. Oops Santa Cruz isn't Surf City anymore. So that would be thank you Santa Cruz Bob... BTW is the Giant Dipper (the twin of the Giant Dipper in Belmont Park SD) still there?

Quote Originally Posted by philbur View Post

Phil

Question CAD/CAM frustration?

If some of you guys spent more time programming and making chips...:withstupi