585,676 active members*
4,324 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > HAAS VF3 hard drive or no hard drive

HAAS VF3 hard drive or no hard drive

Hi
    We have about 12 years old VF3 with floppy drive. How can I tell if it has hard drive or not? Where are all files stored at? Is there any IDE connector so I can hook up IDE to CF adapter. Floppy (1.44Mb) is not enough. I knoe that there's floppy to usb available. I just want to experiment if there's IDE connector.

Thanks

Hello,
    you need the Haas number from the Main Processor board for more informations. There are different boards in the machines.
    look on the inside of the cabinet door. Maybe you see a paper with the numbers of the Pcb's.
    Or call your HFO with the serial number of the machine. They can give you the information about the board witch is inside the machine.
    The files are stored in the BBU from the Processor board. There are different sizes on the different boards.
    press and hold the "program/conversation" button while power on the machine and you can see wich sizes of BBU and Flash memory are on your machine.
    But I think that is no IDE connector on your machine. Maybe you must change the PCB for more BBU ( not cheap).
    Why you don't use the RS-232?

(sorry for my bad english)
    The most dangerous phrase in the language is:"we've always done it this way."

The only way you could have a haas hard drive installed is if the machine had the ethernet option - and from what you are saying about the age of your machine - your machine predates Haas ethernet.
    What size progrms are you wanting to run?
    To increase the memory size you will need to purchase a new processor PCB from your HFO. The new PCB will have 16MB.
    There are usb_floppy conversions around - but that does not increase the amount of memory available. When you fit the usb emulator device you will find that you can only use usb keys that have been reformatted to floppy disk size (1.44MB)
    Hope this helps