585,992 active members*
5,238 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Anyone here use/have a ProLight 1000?
Page 1 of 4 123

Anyone here use/have a ProLight 1000?

I just picked up a Light Machine Company Pro-Light 1000 mill w/ATC. It has a black control box which houses the PSU and drivers. I didn't get the computer interface card with it but wouldn't use it anyways. I plan on converting it to Mach3 and still keep the control box and original circuitry. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing with optocouplers protecting computer interface, TTL level I/O, and the use of name brand ICs. I've already began creating a schematic for the box and even have Mach3 controlling some motion on the mill.

What I lack is the basic knowledge of the original computer software and its interaction with the mill. Since I've never used it I don't know what all to look for in the interface. There are 25 signals of which I have about a dozen figured out. So if anyone can answer these questions or has any information they thing would be helpful please post.

Questions:

What can the software detect from the mill? So far I've found the following:
    --x/y/z home.
    --x/y/z limit.
    --lid open.
    --e-stop button.
    What can the computer control on the mill? So far I've found the following:
    --x/y/z direction.
    --x/y/z movement.
    --enable
    --half step/full steps
    Can the software switch on/off the Acc2 plug independently?
    Can the software switch on/off the Acc3 plug independently?
    Can the software control the RPMs of the spindle?
    Does the software display the RPMs of the spindle?
    Is there anyone with this machine and access to an oscilloscope that can measure the pulse width it produces to the steppers? It seems to need ~15us or more to properly trigger but it could just be a grounding problem on my test setup too.
    When powered on and enabled are the steppers suppose to have power to them to "lock" them in place? This makes them produce a slight hum noise even when not moving.
    Which way does the machine home? Is the bed to the back or front, left or right?
    Anyone know the pitch of the ball screws or the gearing of the stepper to ball screws? It is belt driven and uses 200 step steppers.
    Are the ports on the saddle with the ball bearings in them for oil?
    Is 10w30 non-detergent oil good enough?
    Where does one oil the spindle bearings?
    And most importantly, is there anything I should know about this mill in the care/use department?

Thanks!

Nth I have a prolight 1000 mill that I haven't gotten it running yet. so I can't help You on some of your questions I don't have the tool changer on mine. I would like to see your pinouts on the computer LPT and the black box side that you know. to see if I can get mine running.I will be using EMC2 not mach3 But I should be able to do what you did with mach3. thanks in advance for anything You can tell me. Kevin

I'll post a writeup when I get it to a working point. At the moment I'm stalled tracking down the source of some terrible feedback going to the mill's outputs when enabled and the steppers are plugged in. From the look of it, it is coming from the driver's chopper and is severe enough to trip TTL signals. This instantly trips e-stop, home limit or extreme limit in mach3. I believe it to be a signal ground issue but haven't had time to track it down.

Nth
    have you seen what Shannon_Haworth is doing with a spectralight mill his web site http://build.spaceopera.org/site/ maybe he can be of some help
    kevin

That link was helpful, thanks. http://build.spaceopera.org/site/str...ock/index.html is what I was stuck on. It is just hard to believe that that much interference is allowed to leak back to the computer from the controller. I thought I traced something wrong. I'll add some filters caps to the outputs and see what happens. Something tells me that the control interface cards may be using slightly higher voltage levels to communicate. The more distinct the signals the less you have to worry about interference. Without an original card to test it's all theoretical.

Small update of things I've figured out so far.

Can the software control the RPMs of the spindle? <- Yes.
    Which way does the machine home? Is the bed to the back or front, left or right?, <- Front Left.
    Anyone know the pitch of the ball screws or the gearing of the stepper to ball screws? <- Steppers are 200 steps, gear ratio is 2:1 and the pitch of the ball screws is 5 tpi equating to 4000 steps per rotation.
    Are the ports on the saddle with the ball bearings in them for oil? <- Yes.
    Is 10w30 non-detergent oil good enough? <- 10w nd.
    Also the inputs to the computer suffer really bad feedback from the chopper when the motors are on. Well over 10 volts peak to peak. Use smallish filter caps on them.

My X stage is apparently blown at the l298 driver. I've ordered new l298's, l297's, and diodes for the control box. I'm going to rebuild all the drivers for piece of mind. Shouldn't take but a couple hours and has a total bill under 15 bucks. Just have to wait for the slow boat from China. Till then I'll focus on the ATC and spindle controls. I'm also thinking of throwing on some encoders to track the movement.

Hi, I have a Prolight 1000 with an ATC, I am volunterring at the local High School and need information on installing the ATC and what the parts look like to determine if any of mine are broken. Can any of you help?

Sure. The ATC is an air powered system which consists of 5 solenoids, 9 pistons (4 sets of 2 for the tool stations), a drawbar, 3 sensors (2 proximity and one pressure), and a PIC driven PCB controller. The solenoids and controller are housed in the back of the machine, tool stations sit on the bed and drawbar is mounted in front of the spindle motor directly above the spindle head. Anything specifically troubling you?

I removed the pnuematic drawbar before I found out that the air pressure needed to be at 80psi. I did this while testing the machine and running the spindle caused an overload popping the circuit. When I removed it and looked at the parts I can't determine how it is supposed to work. I don't understand how the collet or drawbar is pulled up as there is no attachment between the drawbar and the pnuematic head. Thanks.

I've only ever looked in the head of my machine once but I think the drawbar is held up (closed) by a spring and the piston only pushes down on the collet to open it. I know the collet doesn't need air pressure to hold a tool as I ran my mill without air before.

Were there washers between the top of the spindle and the bottom of the drawbar bolt? Belleville washers? There must have been some form of spring there. It doesnt take much movement to hold a tool in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pattherat44 View Post
    I removed the pnuematic drawbar before I found out that the air pressure needed to be at 80psi. I did this while testing the machine and running the spindle caused an overload popping the circuit. When I removed it and looked at the parts I can't determine how it is supposed to work. I don't understand how the collet or drawbar is pulled up as there is no attachment between the drawbar and the pnuematic head. Thanks.

Yes, I would say there were about 20 beveled washers or maybe only some of them were beveled I'll have to take another look. It I put them in apposing each other they would act as a spring. There also seems to be a pin up in the pnuematic machanism that doesn't allow the spindle to turn. Which ends up being the reason the spindle didn't turn and caused the circuit breaker to pop, which instigated my taking the whole thing apart maybe this is draw up with the correct air pressure. Thanks for the feedback.

Nth, how did your controller rebuild go. There's a chance I may need to do similar work on the School machines in the future. They all still run on old ISA boards mounted in the computer and this is conenct to the control box.

Those washers/springs regardless of how they are stacked will provide the necessary tension to hold the tool in. They can be stacked liked this () for maximum travel or (()), or for less movement but more tension (((. Anyway if you look at Hoss MAD mod (manual auto drawbar? )you will get a good idea of what is happening. I made my RF45 change tools this way. I am using TTS holders. BTW I use 8 bellevilles in this configuration()()()(). I dont know why the pneumatic cylinder would lock the spindle. Did removing it allow the spindle to revolve without tripping a breaker or blowing a fuse?
    Yes, I would say there were about 20 beveled washers or maybe only some of them were beveled I'll have to take another look. It I put them in apposing each other they would act as a spring. There also seems to be a pin up in the pnuematic machanism that doesn't allow the spindle to turn. Which ends up being the reason the spindle didn't turn and caused the circuit breaker to pop, which instigated my taking the whole thing apart maybe this is draw up with the correct air pressure. Thanks for the feedback.

Thanks, and yes by removing the pnuematic head the spindle spins up great. The pin in the head catches on the bolt head of the drawbar and does allow allow it to spin as the spindle turns the bolt tightens then locks and the spindle stops and pops the breaker.

fastest1....

Hey man did not realize you are an RF45 guy...care to share some pics of that power drawbar setup?....peace

Pete

Thanks, and yes by removing the pnuematic head the spindle spins up great. The pin in the head catches on the bolt head of the drawbar and does allow allow it to spin as the spindle turns the bolt tightens then locks and the spindle stops and pops the breaker.

Pete, I need to finish it up. I installed the bellevilles on the drawbar as Hoss did on his 0704. My plan is to cut a nut for the top of the spindle that either allows a tool (flat bar or similar) to be inserted thru a hole and by raising the quill it drives the drawbar down manually or just cut internal threads in a cylinder with a bottom, basically making a nut with a top. The negative there is that I would have to change the nut if I were to use anything but a TTS holder or 3/4" shanked tooling. I have tested the tool release with a 4X4 against the top cap of the round column and it releases well. If the anchor point of the 4x4 during testing was anywhere near the spindles center, the leverage would have been effortless. I did run a preliminary test in cutting feed with a TTS holder and a 3/4" end mill if I remember right I was getting cuts in the .25 doc full width of cutter with no slippage using the power feed. The RF45 was part of a lathe purchase, I really didnt want it but the owner made me an offer I couldnt refuse and the truck still had room in it. It sure cuts faster than my Sherline. Til something else comes along it will do. I really want to cnc an 0704 or similar sized machine.
    Quote Originally Posted by pete from TN View Post
    Hey man did not realize you are an RF45 guy...care to share some pics of that power drawbar setup?....peace

Pete

Nth, how did your controller rebuild go. There's a chance I may need to do similar work on the School machines in the future. They all still run on old ISA boards mounted in the computer and this is conenct to the control box.
    Went great. Didn't have to alter the control box at all. Check out my other thread here for the pin out and a brief overview. I got the ATC working too but I did have to alter the controller for it.

That is cool.....

Thanks for the info... altho I cannot imagine why anyone who has an rf45 would want an 0704.... I guess to each his own.... peace

Pete

Page 1 of 4 123