584,863 active members*
4,831 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Looking at Toyoda or Haas

I would like to get some feedback from you guys. We are going to buy a new machine for our mold base work. We have been looking at the Toyoda FV1365 and the Haas VF5/50. My biggest complaint with the Toyoda is the max spindle rpm with CT50 is 6000 and I'm not all that impressed with the control. The biggest downfall I find with the Haas is of course it is not a boxed way machine. I would greatly appreciate any info you guys could share with me and what are your thoughts.

Thanks

Welcome to the Zone!

We have the same Haas mill and no complaints. We have about ten Haas mills, so they are doing something right.
    Wayne Hill

Real hard to say, depends on 3D work and tolerance. Toyoda is a way better built machine, but i'm surprised you can only get 6K rpm. If it was me, i'd look at other brands to see what else is out there depending on what your cutting. The HAAS would be fine for aluminum mold work, but i wouldn't do one for hard cutting. Brands to look at are only IMO, and in no particular order, although for price and quality i really like the OKK, even though i'm a ex Mori guy.

OKK
    Mori Seiki
    Okuma
    Matsuura
    Makino

Oh, and forgot Kitamura. Probably others as well.

i like both brands but i really like the toyoda's
    toyoda builds solid machines and if tooled right will most likely out shine the haas even with the 1500 rpm less
    the toyoda rapids are much higher than the haas which means less air cutting time and wait between tool changes , this time adds up by the years end
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I am using a VF3 and VF2 for mold bases now and they do pretty good. Most of our bases are P-20 and some Stainless. The biggest thing I need the Rpm for is lock angles runners and such. I also help rough cavs and cores when need be and I have the time. So the Haas having the 10k spindle option is a big plus. I have no problem holding .0005 or better in the two machines. The price range is a big thing thats why these are the two main machines we are looking at.

Looking at the way that the two machines are built I would have to go with the Toyoda even though it is made in Taiwan. The haas machines just break down too much and are way too light weight for comfort. I would also recommend a look at a higher grade of machine tool like the Hyundai-Kia (thats what our shop has been buying). Good luck

the haas site shows the VF5/50 as having a 7500rpm spindle , is 10k optional ?
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

Quote Originally Posted by dertsap View Post
    the haas site shows the VF5/50 as having a 7500rpm spindle , is 10k optional ?
    Yes the 10k is optional. I also just found out that the Toyoda now has a 10k direct drive option. All said and done A fully loaded set up the way I want Haas VF5/50 is looking to be almost 25,000 less than the Toyoda. Im just trying to justify the extra cost of the Toyoda. We have had excellent luck with the Haas' we own and we have great service from our dealer.

haas are great reliable machines as well are the toyoda's , the difference will be in any kind of hogging , that's where toyoda shines , i worked with a fa800 and the thing was a dead solid brute , i could barely here a 10" facemill hogging on large castings , absolutely beautiful
    there were quirks in the default machine setup that were nightmarish (been to long to remember , just remember doing a lot of swearing at the machine) but a few parameter changes solved that . also some of the control functions were a pita but i find the controls on the haas to be a bit funky as well