584,866 active members*
5,083 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

sherline mill 4th axis going crazy

hi,

this will be my first thread. i am a new owner of a sherline 2000. i have the sherline 4th axis. i am now trying to use the 4th axis for the first time.

the 4th axis seems to turn direction on its own, using emc2 and mach3.

in mach3 if you press the delete key it goes clockwise. if you press the delete key again, it goes counter clockwise but the insert key is supposed to make it go counter clockwise. i noticed the same thing with the insert key. each time you press it it goes into a different direction.

in emc2, if i click on the positive [continuous] the 4th axis motor goes back and fourth.

please help.

That does seem odd

But you might have confused things by trying to run two CNC control programs at once. Do you have a dual-boot system, or are you using 2 different computers with this? Deciding which OS and control system you want to use will make troubleshooting easier. Did you get this used, from a dealer, or directly from Sherline? Did you get a setup file with it, was it preconfigured, or are you trying to configure it from scratch?

Andrew Werby
    www.computersculpture.com

crazy 4th axis

I have 2 computers one running win xp with mach3 purchased. The other machine is running ubuntu emc2 .

Both showing the same problem. Since I prefer mach3 let's me focus on that. In mach3 x y and z function perfectly. If I hit the page up key the z axis always goes up and If I hit the page down key the z axis always goes down.

For a - the 4th axis if I hit the delete key it should always turn in 1 direction. But it does not. I'd I hit the delete key again, it turns in the other direction. That's the problem. The cable is good and I don't thinks its the controller. The machine is 4 month old. I purchases new.

Thanks

When a stepper motor randomly changes directions each time you try to move you probably have a wiring problem. Ohm out each connection from driver to stepper and you'll likely find an open line.
    Jeff Birt

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-Birt View Post
    When a stepper motor randomly changes directions each time you try to move you probably have a wiring problem. Ohm out each connection from driver to stepper and you'll likely find an open line.
    Agreed, I had the same exact trouble at one point.

Resoldered all my cable connections and all was right in the world-

Dave
    Dave->..