585,992 active members*
6,161 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > MX45VAE active tool pot orientation

Question MX45VAE active tool pot orientation

This one is for older Okuma operators / owners:

I've just started a job where I'm running an MX45VAE. Seems to run really well (apart from noisy X-axis slide-way covers).

My question concerns the cylinder that controls the active-pot-advance-to-tool-change-position. It seems to be slow and a bit jerky, and the ready-for-tool-change proximity switch signal sent to the NC seems to happen a fraction too early as the tool change arm actually pulls the tool and pot a bit further towards vertical as it tool-changes.

I've gotten around the time delay issue by loading the library file OTCHK.LIB that I copied from an old CNCzone post into the buffer. Works a treat!

Anyway, has anybody had a failure or a degradation of proper function issue with these older Okuma's tool-change-pot-advance mechs? Should I look at servicing it or are they set up to orientate the active pot slowly (and rather clumsily)???

Thanks,

Luke

I just re-read the first line of my o.p. What a tragic way of starting out a new thread :withstupi

What I meant to say was: "This one is for anyone that runs / owns an older Okuma mill."

I wasn't trying to be an ageist!

Luke

I would say, this tool-pot vertical issue is common for that age that model machines. plastic changes it's dimension - You can check measuring that, compare dimensions of some pots. Pot vertical guideways getting dirty. And, of course, moving parts including cylinder weakens.
    I applied one solution for some machines and it works great for (2 ... 4) years already. I just grinded the pot guiding plates a little so, that all of pots fits in easily.
    Some backlash is allowed there anyway.
    First of all, You need to be sure, that Your magazine adjustment and location of LS (SQ8, SQ9) is correct.