584,849 active members*
4,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Kitamura > Kit tool changer arm stuck in mid stroke

Kit tool changer arm stuck in mid stroke

Another problem with our Kit MyCenter2. While doing a tool change our arm has gotten stuck in the mid position, and I can not figure out how to reset.
    The machine will not let me zero return axis when I first fire it up. Also the screen displays the letters MT after I try to excute an M6
    Does anyone know how to reset the tool change arm?
    thanks in advance for any input!

This is a tricky one to fix.
    Make sure your Z axis pulse in coder is working. Make sure the tool arm is not stuck on the spindle nose. If so you will have to pick the Z up a bit.

You will have to go into your parameters and also trick the tool change position proximity switches that the tool change operation is in its home state.
    (1) On my machine I have to change address (467) from value 0 to value 1. The NC will alarm that’s OK.
    (2) Stick a steel object in where the proximity switch is located in the tool change mechanics. The LED on the switch should turn on when the switch is closed.
    (3) Above the tool change ARM there will be another proximity switch you will need another steel object to close that switch as well. Use something long don’t want to lose a finger.
    (4) Put the machine in Jog mode and jog the arm home.

If you go into maint mode you should be able to jog the arm back into position. Check to see if there are chips around the home position sensor that makes it think it is in home pos.

Wink

Tape a penny on the prox switch and jog the arm through the sequence back to home. Get the book out for the proper sequence steps. You may have to reset the tool numbers back to normal after you get done with the mechanical mess.

Re: Kit tool changer arm stuck in mid stroke

The ATC arm is stuck on my machine, but I can't figure out how to get the machine into maintenance mode to jog it. I have all of the manuals, but I am not seeing anything about maintenance mode.

Was there every a resolution to this?

To get into maintenance mode

MDI
    AUX 2 soft key
    ATC1 soft key below screen
    page down
    highlight maintenance mode(will put machine in alarm status)
    write
    yes
    handle mode
    atc switch(bottom right of panel) to "tool change"...

Make sure the head is not in the way of the tool changer arm

Hold the execute button down to move the arm into position.
    If you have to reverse direction hold "feed hold" while you press execute (I have never actually done this myself)

move arm back to home position
    MDI mode
    highlight maintenance
    write
    yes
    reset

I still don't know where my alarm was coming from. It went away somewhat randomly when we messed with this button that is on the side of the machine behind the ATC carousel.

It seems that the machine was getting stuck mid tool change because the drawbar wasn't releasing quickly or completely enough, so when the piston pushed the arm down to swap tools, it was actually yanking the head down a few thousandths. The machine would abort the tool change, presumably to prevent the arm from hitting the head. I cycled tool clamp/unclamp over and over until it seemed to be working reliably. However, it still hangs up sometimes. I'm hoping it will do better once I get it into regular service. I was finally able to send a program over to the control today.