585,727 active members*
4,000 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Combo Lathe/Mill machines. OK to buy or buy separate?
Page 1 of 2 12

Combo Lathe/Mill machines. OK to buy or buy separate?

What are the pros and cons of having an 'all in one' lathe/mill?
    I have several other questions that I will post in other threads but wanted to get this one out of the way. I'm looking at some mini combos at the moment. Thanks in advance.

Most who buy a combo express disappointment.
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

A good analysis on this subject here
    http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...gnAnalysis.pdf

Thanks for the responses. *groans at the PDF, but starts to read*

I checked out a book at the library on metalworking as well. I'm hoping I can fully understand which machine (lathe or mill) will accomplish what I ask it to do and hopefully... eventually have enough imagination and brains to own both machines.

basically, a combo machine is neither a good lathe nor a good mill.

if you are just getting started in machining and dont want to spend alot, look for a used X2. There is a huge amount of support and parts available, and it is big enough to get your feet wet. For a lathe, refer to the mini lathe forum, but I would imagine any of the import 7x lathes would be perfect for starting out.
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

Personally I think they are a PIA. Always tearing down one set up to do the other.

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    Personally I think they are a PIA. Always tearing down one set up to do the other.
    I "upgraded" from a separate mini mill and mini lathe for my first home shop setup years ago, and this was my experience. The hassle of switching from lathe to mill operations and back was such that it actually kept me from doing some jobs. (The lathe compound is also the X-Y for the mill.)

What was interesting was that the lathe had a huge swing to bed, like 14 inches, but only 3 inch swing to compound. And since the compound doubled as the X-Y table for the mill it was too large and clumsy for lathe operations but way too small for mill operations.

I think I paid $1,400 for the combo machine, which would be roughly the same cost for a Grizzly 9x20 and mini mill shipped to your door.

I have a combo machine, and it was a good way to get started. I am ready to move it out, and get a decent lathe now. Honestly, I'd recommend a mill and a lathe (2 machines) if you can swing it. It is a total PITA to tear down and switch between lathe/mill functions. Mine is the HF version - and the work envelope is very small when milling, unless you remove the lathe chuck.

Bill

I appreciate all the responses so far everyone. I'm going to look for a used X2 as suggested above. (A five minute search hasn't yielded any for sale so far though!)

For the lathe, I would start with a 9 x 20 (aka 9 x 19) or larger. If you can only buy one of the two to start with, start with a lathe. 10 x 22 should be a sweet little lathe. You can do a lot with a 7 x. Many have and so have I, but it is not rigid, and many of them start out with problems when new. Not much capacity.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/cate...spx?key=460000

If your plans do not include CNC, I would check out used American machines, but that's a different story.
    Wen I was young, I spent most of my money on fast women, slow horses, and cheap booze. The rest of it I just wasted.

Thanks. I very much want to migrate to CNC at some point. I'm falling in love with the possibilities!!

Based on my limited knowledge and what I've read and want to do-- I think I'll take the advice and go separate. I'm going to start with a mill. I couldn't find a used X2, but I think this device new should be adequate for what I'm wanting to do (machine parts for small wind turbine generator)

This website has a good listing of some of the parts I want to machine and here is the machine I believe will do the 7 inch diameters by 3/8 inches thick (MicroLux High-Precision Heavy-Duty MT3 Miniature Milling Machine) http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...MILL,8102.html

Some of the parts: http://www.windstuffnow.com/main/builders_corner.htm (I would have linked the pics but I wasn't sure about copyright etc..) Mind you his design is an idea of what I want to do.

Or am I totally wrong and a lathe would be better for this type of work?

Thanks for your time everyone!

Uh oh, a windpower guy

A lot of what you need to build there (the builders corner link) might be doable simply on a drill press with some patience. Depends on the material you're working in. I, too, have a couple of wind-power projects on the back burner - the next being a 5 *wing* Ropatec style VAWT, 3' high, 6" chord wings. The mini mill and lathe will be put to work building the rotating axis and bearing supports, as well as the arms, wing mounts, etc.

You mention 7" diameters - if you're looking for a mill that can cut a 7" circle, if you will, then both the x and y travels need to be at least that much (actually more, to account for the diameter of the milling tool).

Guess I'm not sure what your question is at this point...but happy to help where I can.

Bill

edit: I suppose you could cut the 7" disc on an x2 - would require multiple setups and care.

Thanks wildwhl. I appreciate the tips and insight. I'm just hoping that a mill alone can do the stuff on that link above. Gotta a lot of learnin' to do....

Mill is a darn useful tool - and with some thought can do many, many things. On the other hand, I don't know how I made it until 40 before owning a lathe. I use it several times a week...the CNC x2 does more complex work, but heck, the lathe - if I don't have the right length bolt - few minutes later shortened and all cleaned up (not the old grinder/hacksaw method). I'm happy I have both

WW

What are your thoughts on that Microlux mini mill? http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...MILL,8102.html

I'm open to suggestions. ~$500.00 range seems reasonable to start for me.. and another $500 probably for "stuff" (from what I've read here, tools etc.. will cost a buck or three!)

Thanks!

great place to start for the X2 is http://www.hossmachine.info/cnc_conversion.html
    FS: Complete Z-Axis Assembly with THK RSR15WM slide, leadscrew, stepper mount. PM for more info.

Parkham,

I had a Harbor Freight X2 which I recently sold as I am looking to purchase a G0704 as described here:http://www.grizzly.com/products/Dril...th-Stand/G0704.

The G0704 is much sturdier and has a much bigger work envelope than the X2. Also, you can do some lathe operations on a mill especially if you set up a fourth axis.

Quote Originally Posted by Parkham View Post
    What are your thoughts on that Microlux mini mill? http://www.micromark.com/MICROLUX-BE...MILL,8102.html

I'm open to suggestions. ~$500.00 range seems reasonable to start for me.. and another $500 probably for "stuff" (from what I've read here, tools etc.. will cost a buck or three!)

Thanks!
    That's an x2, costs less elsewhere, HF etc...

You could start with something like the Grizzly G0516 and when changing setup from mill to lathe becomes a pain , move the mill off to a separate XY table from LMS.
    Regards
    Geoff

That's an option, too - though I think you could buy a lathe and mill from Grizzly for about the same money?

Where does the OP live - maybe we can help find him something

WW

Page 1 of 2 12