584,837 active members*
4,995 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > Stainless steel strips-cutting

Stainless steel strips-cutting

Hello,

Does anyone know how one would cut strips of stainless steel without warping/twisting them? We are interested in strips about 1 ft long, 1/4" wide and 1/16" thick. One can buy stainess steel coil, but then it has to be unbent/uncoiled and restraightened.

I inquired today with an outfit that uses lasers to cut metals, but they said the heat from the laser would warp the metal also.

Is there any place that sells stainless steel strips about this size?

Thanks

why not buy it in roll form at the correct thickness and width, and build a 3 roll set of rollers to flatten it back out as you unspool it? then you can just unspool as much as you need and cut it off right on the other side of the rollers. (unspool it like a portable steel banding cart.)

Shane123 has the correct idea. You should be able to get strip with those dimensions and it will probably be easier to build a straightener than try and get strips laser cut. I had a recent project that needed stainless strips 3/8" by 0.04" formed into arcs 12" long with a radius of about 15". It took me ten hours to modify a little roll former to bend exactly what I needed.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Laser cutting SHOULD not be an issue... if they no what they are doing. But, you could also have have it sheared to size unless you need a Perfect edge.

here is a rough draft of my idea. could easily use some 3x3 square tubing as your frame, and the rest should be simple to draft off of.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spool bend shear.JPG  

Metal shear or plasma cutter?

either one would work, but i think a sheer would be faster...

I think all your warping/twisting depends on the tolerance of thickness, width and slit width. It depends on Technical Specifications you are using like hardness should be annealed pick(soft) which is very much good for 1/4 hard, 1/2 hard, 3/4 hard & full hard (as rolled). Coil ID should be 150 mm to 510 mm depending on thickness & width of coil. Tolerance in Weight should be Max 6.5 kg per mm width of strips depending on required thickness & width of the coil.

If you want to know more about kindly visit here : Sigma Steel : Stainless steel strips | stainless steel strips manufacturer,stainless steel strips exporter

Regards
    Kapil Dogra
    SIGMA STEEL