585,715 active members*
4,753 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Servo bar 300 bar feeder

I have a HAAS SL-10 with a servo bar 300 bar feeder. When I power up the machine
    and home all axes I get a "398 aux axes servo off" alarm. I can hit reset a couple of times and eventually get the machine to home out and run parts but, the bar feeder will not work. The controller shows "no home". Is there anything I can check to see if I can fix this. I have a 50000 pc job coming and I need the bar feeder to work. Thanks for any help.

Hello,
    have you got more informations? Is the barfeeder running before or it's a new installation? Can you jog the barfeeder with the wheel in the handlejog?(V-axis).
    Maybe it's only a problem with the cableconnection to the SL-10 or a wrong parameter.
    For Test:
    Handle jog the V-axis until he is up to the reference position. enter G105 Q1 in the MDI and push cycle start.
    It's possible to run the V-Axis? Do the barfeeder try to push out a bar?
    The most dangerous phrase in the language is:"we've always done it this way."

German Tec, Thank you for the reply. The machine and bar feeder was installed about 9 years ago, but nobody has ever used the bar feeder. For the last month or so I have been getting the alarms I listed when I power up the machine and try to home it out. If, before I power it up, I grab the ball screw and turn it so it is away from the home switch then power up and home all axis, the bar feeder will move back until the switch is made. Then I get the 398 alarm "aux axis servo off". I can not get the handle to jog the V axis no matter what I've tried. In MDI all I get is "aux axis no home". The lights on the control box under the machine say "high load" and "over load".

push the Setting/graph button,write 53, put the arrow down and than the arrow right. Now you have the setting 53 (jog without zero home) highlightet. confirm them with the write enter button and go to the hand mod. Now you can try to move the V-axis.
    But if you have a overload,you can check somethings by your self. it's possible that the Axis amplifier in the controll cabinet have a red light, the motor/encoder from the servobar its damaged the cables from the servo bar to the controll cabinet are loosened or the mocon has a failure(you can't check, only have a look on the led's on the first PCB, located on the upper left side from the cabinet). I hope the parameters was checked by the installation before 9 years.
    Maybe a other guy from here with a better english can help you more.
    The most dangerous phrase in the language is:"we've always done it this way."

Thank you for the suggestions. It still will not move in jog mode. This bar feeder is the older style so there is no axis amplifier in the lathe control cabinet. It is controlled by a servo control box mounted on the bar feeder it self. There is an RS232 type data cable that is connected to the lathe. The control box is very similar to one that would be used to put a rotary axis on a CNC milling machine. I have concluded that the servo control box is the problem and that is something I can fix. Thank you again for your help.

Dan