584,854 active members*
4,245 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Okuma rs232 file format
Page 1 of 2 12

Okuma rs232 file format

I'm looking for documentation for the file format for a OSP700L controller. My rs232 param's are set correctly as I can punch programs out but can't read. Through CN0: it gets a 5240 alarm and reading a floppy I get 5000 #7 alarm. I have tried to send an uploaded file back and it still fails with it's own file format.

What is the string that it needs to have at the top of the file to receive a program including the Xon character.

$O1590ht.min% is the format sent from the machine.

Post a sample output file.
    Wayne Hill

My rs232 param's are set correctly
    wrong presumption
    I can punch programs out
    So You are in the beginning of serial connection adjustments.
    Pay attention, there are different settings on OSP for sending and for receive. I would start from cable check.
    it gets a 5240 alarm and reading a floppy I get 5000 #7 alarm
    I'm lazy to sneak into alarm list. Can You post full text of alarm? It points an error as usual.
    How do You manage to get alarm even from floppy? Is DIR command executed properly? Do You use OSP format floppy or MS-DOS (<- computer) format?

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    My rs232 param's are set correctly
    wrong presumption
    I can punch programs out
    So You are in the beginning of serial connection adjustments.
    Pay attention, there are different settings on OSP for sending and for receive. I would start from cable check.
    As it turns out the comm param's are set correctly my assumption that the upload format would be the same as the download format was foolish. All I needed to do was strip the 1ST line ($filename.min%) out of the file. Then download as the manual states. The trick is to rename the file after download. It seems to name the every file "a.min". I tried to specify the file name CN0:filename.min but got some sort of syntex error.

The controller seems to run off of some kind of command line language like DOS or Linux bash shell. Is this command line language documented as to grammar and syntex or maybe a command list with definitions ?

there are parameters set for file name check while input to OSP as well, as for output or not output file name when sending file out from OSP.
    For Your information, at this time there are more that 2000 active operating systems, not only DOS and Linux (Unix). The OSP operating system is Okuma's own operating system, You can read credencials while loading.
    Syntaxis is described in OSP operating and programming manual very clearly with very few mistakes and illustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Species8472 View Post
    ($filename.min%) out of the file. Then download as the manual states. The trick is to rename the file after download. It seems to name the every file "a.min". I tried to specify the file name CN0:filename.min but got some sort of syntex error.
    The syntax error means your command line is not correct

A.MIN is the default filename if none is specified
    so if you type CN0:,filename.min
    CN0: means the RS232 port of the machine
    , is a deliminator ( it reads the file in into this filename )
    if nothing is after the comma, then A.MIN is default

Te other errors should relate to the filename and the name at the top of the file being different
    the use of the comma should fix it

PS .MIN is also a default and is not needed

so to make it short
    <PIP> <READ> CN0:, <WRITE> should work on any file

For Your information, at this time there are more that 2000 active operating systems, not only DOS and Linux (Unix).
    Yes I know. But 2k don't know about that.

The OSP operating system is Okuma's own operating system, You can read credencials while loading.
    Yes I see. But it's nothing to be proud of it's an ugly kluge of an OS. I mean really poking text strings into the command line with the buttons then needing the user to add to/ finish the expression by hand.

Syntaxis is described in OSP operating and programming manual very clearly with very few mistakes and illustrated.

Yes I guess you could tease out the syntax with the manual. I was hoping for something like:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/man...Shell-Commands

The manual just shows examples of various operations but not the under laying rules of the command line syntax.

Quote Originally Posted by Superman View Post

Te other errors should relate to the filename and the name at the top of the file being different

so to make it short
    Yes thank you.
    That's the kind of thing I was looking for.

so to make it short
    And if you use <PIP> <READ> CN0:<WRITE> (Note there is NO comma or space) - It will read the first line of the file looking for the name to assign - such as " $THISJOB.MIN% "

Now if your com program is adding the "%" it can foul everything up...

if you use <PIP> <READ> CN0:<WRITE>
    this will work only in case, if parameter is set "not execute file name check when reading".
    If parameter is set for default serial port for reading, then CN0: is no needed also.
    That's why I mentioned these parameters.
    PIP>R <write> is enough for file receive when parameters are set correctly. In case, if file name is omitted in file body, A.MIN name will be used.

Re: Okuma rs232 file format

so to make it short
    Hi Superman,
    If I use READ/WRITE/GET/PUT commands in Okuma book can I write a command in the program: READ CN0:, filename.NC (text file) then the OSP can read the text file?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nodochau View Post
    Hi Superman,
    If I use READ/WRITE/GET/PUT commands in Okuma book can I write a command in the program: READ CN0:, filename.NC (text file) then the OSP can read the text file?
    Thanks
    Sorry. can't help, as I haven't touched an Okuma for 12yrs
    ..& never used the READ/WRITE/GET/PUT commands
    ( you'll have to suffer Kitty's 2 bobs worth of monologue.... he'll give you more than 2 cents worth)

but...... I hope the .NC extension is a typo, as this is associated to other controllers ie Fanuc

If it's just to be an ascii text file.... make it .TXT, so it opens in Notepad or Word on a PC

Your filename was part of the problem. The Okuma considers a file that starts with O a sub-program so it is not a valid file name. It should start with an Alpha character and have up to 16 characters. If going to a DOS disk, it can only have 8 characters. The OSP format will not go to a DOS disk as it uses non-ascii characters. After the transmission of the file, it should also have a % at the end.

Best regards,
    Experience is what you get just after you needed it.

the OSP can read the text file?
    hy nodo i believe you wish to read a file ? please be more specific about what you wish to do, and i may give you a code / kindly
    Ladyhawke - My Delirium, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_bFO1SNRZg

if you use <PIP> <READ> CN0:<WRITE>
    this will work only in case, if parameter is set "not execute file name check when reading".
    If parameter is set for default serial port for reading, then CN0: is no needed also.
    That's why I mentioned these parameters.
    PIP>R <write> is enough for file receive when parameters are set correctly. In case, if file name is omitted in file body, A.MIN name will be used.

Hi all/algirdas!

Can anyone please suggest how to set for default serial port for reading, then CN0: in parameters settings

When we are using CN0: it shows DEVICE NAME ERROR on OSP-U10M

check in the manual which parameter is responsible for default serial communication port.
    try CN1: ?
    what the PC is detecting if you do just "read serial" without pointing the port?
    what the PC is detecting if you do just "write serial" without pointing the port?

on the controller in NC OPTIONAL PARAMETERS RS 232 (CN0 and in MAC MAN PREFERENCE SETTINGS for INPUT DATA, DEFAULT NAME IS FD0: which I am unable to change

CN1: does not work either

i am using software-based DNC on my PC and once I set it to receive the program it is received in PC after pressing punch and write soft key.

and when I need to send program and press READ soft key after using CN0 or CN1 controller says wrong device name to CN0: and CN1:

Data reading problem on okuma u10m

please check the images @algirdas

I don't think the default input device name = FD0: at that settings page is related to serial interface.
    I would't use Japanese standard for the first settings of RS232 communication ( "8 bit JIS" = 0 ). Later, when you get communication working, you can use it and then you will have possibility to use both capital and lower case letters.
    I would set both "DC code" and "DC code type2" to 0 for the start. Since I have no idea what is that.
    I would set "file name request" to 0 as well - less chances to mix up something.
    Check the manual of the control. Maybe there is setting about possibility to omit device name in the communication command line.

Quote Originally Posted by sunilb View Post
    on the controller in NC OPTIONAL PARAMETERS RS 232 (CN0 and in MAC MAN PREFERENCE SETTINGS for INPUT DATA, DEFAULT NAME IS FD0: which I am unable to change

CN1: does not work either

i am using software-based DNC on my PC and once I set it to receive the program it is received in PC after pressing punch and write soft key.

and when I need to send program and press READ soft key after using CN0 or CN1 controller says wrong device name to CN0: and CN1:
    Are you pressing...
    CN0: <READ> filename <WRITE>
    or
    <READ> CN0: filename.ext <WRITE>

The order is... what operation, using what device, from where, to what file.... place it where, and rename it.

This is stated on one line, some are not needed to be stated, as a default is used...ie
    ... ext is usually .MIN ... and must be stated if different.
    ... the source device is FD0: it is a floppy drive, set as the default. TT was a printer, CN0: is 1st comm port

If you need to state a part of the instruction, it must be correct or the entire line returns an error.

Page 1 of 2 12