584,858 active members*
4,372 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

SL35 Spindle Inhibit in Jog

Ok, We got a Mori Seiki SL35 the other day. It will not allow the spindle to run when in Jog or manual. The operator starts the spindle in MDI and then pushes the Jog button and imediately the spindle shuts down. Does anyone know what the problem is? I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Since you didn't say what year/control, i'll throw out all the conditions.

1st, if it starts in MDI and stops when you go in to jog mode, that is TOTALY normal. You must turn on the spindle when in manual mode from the front panel ( spindle FWD button).

2nd, the machine has to have had a commanded spindle speed (if early) in auto or MDI before you can use the spindle forward button in jog mode.

3rd. Barfeeders will cause JOG problems if not in manual mode on the B/F

4th. Door interlock switch. If not in release mode the spindle will not turn with the door open.-again, don't know what year you have.

It's a 1996 model with T6 controls. When in jog mode the spindle fwd and rev buttons do not work. We turned the door interlock key to release and still no luck. We even shut the door to the machine and still nothing. There was a technician working on it the other day. Is it possible that he may have changed a parameter to cause this?

Not unless he put the wrong panel parameter in the Ddata. In '96 there were two panels avail. If it works in MDI, should work in JOG. Chuck clamp and other signals are looked at in MDI, so all the signals for JOG should be the same. Does this machine have the digital read on the front panel for spindle override with a up/down arrow or a rotary knob?

It's has the digital panel with the buttons. No knob!

So proper DData would be type 2 panel, I don't know the number off hand. One thing with that panel you must do to start the spindle in jog is to turn the overide up. they default to 1% or 0% when you go in to jog. Also just check the operator page, make sure no inhibits are on. Custom button-operator panel- then check there. There is stuff like axis inhibit, aux func inhibit, etc. They should all be off. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.