585,753 active members*
3,807 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Used dealers?

I've been searching ebay, google and craigslist for a mid-1990's 4020.

Any suggestions for dealers or how to turn one up?

Prices are ranging from the low teens to over 40K.

My budget is 15K max.

This goes for saying with anything but just in case you are unaware used machine dealers are just like used car sales men, your going to have to check everything out yourself to see what kind of condition its in. It will help if you know how to do some basic checks on the machine.

You can give this a try:
    http://www.findamachine.com/millingMachines4sale.php

I looked briefly at a 1997 VMC15XT here in Michigan, it was a extremely clean machine and everything worked as it is suppose to, I didn't put a indicator on it but I would suspect that it was still pretty tight. The dealer made a offer at $24,500. I didn't even bother to try and negotiate because I don't want the 28" Z travel.

used machine

One thing i recommend is to have the local factory fadal service tech look over any machine you are thinking of buying.we service the WI/IL area and have several customers call us in to inspect machines they were looking at. Some were in good shape but others were in need of 5-10k of repairs,just because everything seems to work does not mean that there are not any issues.We usualy work out a deal on the inspection so i would think most places would. make sure to use fadal techs becasue they know all the little things to look at that unlike someone who works on many types of machines.It is just good to know what you are getting into before you buy.there are too many people i have seen that just buy and find out later that the screws or the turcite under the table is shot and they need 10k in repair and they thought they got a deal at buying it for 10k.

Alot of used machinery dealers are expecting big profits of Fadal machines because classiclly they have sold quite easily. I still see mid ninety 4020's going in the 20's...lol. Some early 2000 4020's going for over 40K when brand new ones were being liquidated for $45K. Shop around and know what your getting into. More and more mfgs are straying from Fadals more and more machines will become available.
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

MUST have them inspected, but with that said, I bought a used '95 VMC 15, from the East coast, had it inspected by a FADAL tech, or so they said so...
    Anyhow, ended up replacing all ball screws, X- axis motor and mount, resolver, monitor, wipers and all the conduit.
    Love the machine now, but almost brought me to tears after selling the HAAS TM1.
    Things to look for....
    CHECK all lube lines if it is a grease machine, thats what took out the Z on mine. Look at the conduit at the tool changer... once that rubs through, the wires will short and take out the drive and others I'm sure. Look at the belt pullies, mine has had chips embedded in the pullies, hence a very noisy machine until I can get those replaced.
    Be sure to have them pull the head stock tin and do a through inspection, money well spent!!!
    I now have a top notch Fadal service guy that is local, treats me vey well, and lets me know of concerns long before they start.
    I bought mine through E-bay, used KD Capitol as the broker... don't think I will go down that road again, USED car salesman is an understatement
    Smitty

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreenMachine View Post
    This goes for saying with anything but just in case you are unaware used machine dealers are just like used car sales men, your going to have to check everything out yourself to see what kind of condition its in. It will help if you know how to do some basic checks on the machine.

You can give this a try:
    http://www.findamachine.com/millingMachines4sale.php

I looked briefly at a 1997 VMC15XT here in Michigan, it was a extremely clean machine and everything worked as it is suppose to, I didn't put a indicator on it but I would suspect that it was still pretty tight. The dealer made a offer at $24,500. I didn't even bother to try and negotiate because I don't want the 28" Z travel.
    http://www.machinetools.com/us/listi...al-vmc-2216--7

You mean that one for $15K?
    We have had good luck with our Fadals milling mostly soft steel and aluminum up to 5 axis. We are always looking for spare parts If you have a broken down Fadal give a shout.

No, that's a VMC2216 and its $15k. Here is the one I looked at, it was extremely clean, I turned it on and everything worked. I didn't go as far to put a indicator to it because the asking price is just to much IMO.

http://www.machinetools.com/us/listi...l-vmc-15xt--20

I'm starting to think I should wait and save up for a rebuilt unit. Anyone have experience with these guys?

http://www.thefadalparts.com/?gclid=...FVjW5wodsDgeZw

used machine

There are good used machines out there,most used installs go good without any issues but there are some out there that will sell you a machine that they trashed and cover up damage,that is why it is best to get it inspected by a factory trained tech.there are some new dealers out there that mag just changed over to that may have techs that just got trained and dont know much,so get someone with at least 2 years of solid fadal repair time.If you call mag/fadal they will send you to the new guys,so you will need to find out who was the dealer for the past few years,as they probably still have the good techs. a few hundred bucks on an inspection will be worth it.and if there are any small issues you can get a quote on the repair before you buy.You can usually find out who has good techs in a given area by posting a question here.

Quote Originally Posted by carbidecraters View Post
    That machine does not have rigid tapping and is configured as 10HP.

Quote Originally Posted by ddgman2001 View Post
    I'm starting to think I should wait and save up for a rebuilt unit. Anyone have experience with these guys?

http://www.thefadalparts.com/?gclid=...FVjW5wodsDgeZw
    That is us! We have happy customers all over the country that we've sent rebuilt machines. Feel free to contact us through our website if you have any questions or concerns.
    Need help with your Fadal? Send me a message or visit www.TheFadalParts.com. We have over 25 years of experience at Fadal and offer FREE TECHNICAL SUPPORT OVER THE PHONE!

15K budget

Just my opinion but 15K sounds way to low for a decent 4020.Where are you located?I would think 25K should be more in the ball park for something that is ready to go.We spent 35K for a 2000 with all the bells and whistles.(Used only on Sunday by a sweet little old lady who only used it to cut plastic )Also,Alex has a valid point.Mag hired some new techs who I thought were not experienced enough with Fadals.Spend the money to get it checked out by someone thats good.

I could be out to lunch on the $15K. I've been watching them for 2 years on ebay. I saw a couple of nice ones go for under 10K when I didn't have the cash. Anything over 15K seems to sit, get re-listed and sit some more.