584,854 active members*
4,322 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Old Hurco KM-3 problems
Page 1 of 2 12

Old Hurco KM-3 problems

I was wondering if anyone has any tips on a 1984 Hurco issue. When I power up the machine, all the fans come on and everything seems to turn on, but the only thing that happens at the controller is a cursor starts blinking at the bottom of the left screen. I dont know anything about the Hurco cnc's so its hard to troubleshoot. Any help would be appricated.

thanks

First, static strap on, reseat all the boards in the card rack. Open the console (screws along the front edge) and find the CRT controller board - check it has no swarf on it and refit it. try a power up.
    Next, try it with the dual axis boards pulled (the two furthest away from you in the rack).
    Remove the CPU (the board nearest to you with two little boards mounted on it) then take off the smaller of the two boards, refit the CPU and try again. If it starts, it will be a fault on one of the chips on the RS232.
    Next, remove the CPU and take off the graphics card. Replace U14 & U15 (MC1488 & MC1489). Then take the CRT controller back out and locate the MC1488 & MC1489 on there. Replace these.
    That should keep you busy for a while. Post back any changes.
    P.S. The chips are cheap and easy to get.
    Good luck, fella.

Wow, thanks for the instructions. That will definately keep me busy today. Does Hurco still sell the chips or are they aftermarket?

thanks

Aftermarket. About $1-2 a piece if not cheaper.

Well after cleaning off some of the circuit boards (personallity, memory, and CPU) the machine seems to start up, but we cant get further than that. During the startup process all the lights on the control panel come on for a couple seconds. After it finishes the startup, it give a couple messages (see pics). It doesn't appear that some of the buttons on the panel are responding. Under the "Machine Operations" section, the Manual light and is on, but when I press any of the buttons, nothing lights up or switches modes. I talked to Steve at Hurco and he emailed me some instructions to reset the control panel so I'll try that tomorrow. I'll also try cleaning off the axis boards to see if that helps.

Also, is there any operators manuals floating around?

http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...rcoPics008.jpg
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...rcoPics003.jpg
    http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/d...rcoPics004.jpg

Have you done:
    EXIT
    Enter
    Enter

Nope. Do you mean the exit soft key (the bottom key between the monitors)?

thanks

Yes, the bottom softkey. If it goes to this page every time you power it down, it's likely your memory board batteries are shot. If you have the Dallas RAM chips, you can do away with these and stick some lithium cells on there.

PM me an Email addy and I'll see if I can send you an operator manual tomorrow.

Thanks. I was wondering if there was batteries in there somewhere for keeping parameters but I couldn't find any. Are they on the memory board then?

For the most part, the parameters are fixed on the memory boad. and won't be lost. The battery backed-up part is for your programs and a couple of less important parameters.
    The memory board is the one directly in front of the personality card. There will be either 3 AA sized cells allong the top edge or holes where you could fit three AA sized cells. If you have the holes, it has Dallas RAMs

Ah. Thats what those slots are for. There was no batteries in them. Is there supposed to be something else to hold the batteries in or do they just fit in the slots?

There's a little to do before adding the batteries. There are four tall chips on the memory board made by Dallas. Next to these four chips are four identical SRAMs. If you want to change the Dallas RAMs, buy four more SRAMs (I can't remember the number off the top of my head), put them in the slots that have the Dallas chips in.
    Next, solder three 3.6v lithium cells into the slots (get the type with the solder tags on)
    Remove the wire to E89 (up by the red switch blocks)
    add jumpers to the pins next to the batteries (98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109)
    And you're done!

It lives!
    :banana:

Excellent!

Hurco KM3P Problems

Hi. I own a KM3P Milling machine and i've been trying to fix some problems for the last two years, i think. The machine used to work fine, until one day i got the overload message on Z axis. I was drilling something, and i'm sure there wasn't actually any overload on that axis, but still, i would get that message everytime i tried to use it. AND while the overload message was on, the X axis would start to slowly slide (that's how it bent some tools, becase the tool was already pressing on the part when the X axis slided). I tried swapping the axes cards, but the problem still remains on the Z axis. Meanwhile, i changed some mechanical parts (the bearings on the Z axis and, i think, the limit switch ), thinking that maybe they somehow restrict the movement on the axis. That didn't help...

I really need to get it working, even if i bypass the Overload message (and try hard not to overload the axis ). Maybe this ideea sounds drastic, but that's how bad i need the machine to work

I would really appreciate any help

What is the exact message on the screen? Is it "motion error" or "servo fault"?
    Have you checked the motor brushes? It may be underpowered because it is only running on two out of the four.

I just ordered some new brushes, but i don't think that's the problem, because i swapped the motors and it's still not working. The problem is still on the Z axis, even after swapping the motors.

I'm wondering if there's any overload kind of sensor that tells the machine when the axis is overloaded. Because i'm thinking that maybe there's the problem and the sensor doesn't work as it should.

I was also thinking of taking off the cylinder on the Z axis, but i can't seem to find any screws or any other way to take it off. Maybe there's some mechanical problem that restricts the movement...

As for the message on the screen, i'll have to go and power the machine, because i can't remember it right now.

Remove the front cover on the head and see if you can turn the ballscrew by hand. If not, then remove the belt and then see whether the motor or the ballscrew are stopping it moving. If it's all free to move, you will likely have an electrical issue.
    Post back with your findings.

So, i'm back with some new info. I had to take a break because i've been reasigned for the last few weeks.

I did some tests on the machine and this is what i found out:

The machine is working IF the axis feed rate overide is set on the minimum value, but as soon as i increase the feed rate, the machine stops and gives me the "Motion error detected on Z" message. And it also shows the OVERLOAD message on the Z axis.

I also get an OVERLOAD message on the Y axis, even though i don't use it while drilling (but this message doesn't stop the machine). So... SOMETHING must tell the machine it's overloaded, even though it isn't.

I can easily turn the ballscrew by hand, with the belt on the motor, so it must be an electrical problem.

Page 1 of 2 12