585,902 active members*
4,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Max Table weight

Hi Guys, I want to get the glacern 6" vise for my Syil X4.. My only concern is that it weighs in at 81lbs..
    Would the Syil X and Y motors be able to handle that kind of weight?

Re: Max Table weight

They can handle the weight, but IMO a 6" vise is too big for that machine. I have the Glacern 5" on my Syil X5 and it barely fits. I think the optimal workholding setup for this class of machine is a 4" vise (5" max) and a 12mm T-slot clamping kit for use with your own fixtures and ad-hoc setups.

Thanks for the reply.. I called Syil Canada and they told me, like you, that it would take the weight..
    I ordered the Kurt vise in the end, because it has a smaller bold on footprint than the Glacern.. I measured the table and it should fit nicely.. I will post pictures when I get it

Quote Originally Posted by CJCNC View Post
    Hi Guys, I want to get the glacern 6" vise for my Syil X4.. My only concern is that it weighs in at 81lbs..
    Would the Syil X and Y motors be able to handle that kind of weight?
    I think your biggest issue with so much weight wouldn`t be the motors, most likely the ball screws and nuts will suffer most, you could end up with lots of wear and backlash quite quickly.

The Ball screws and nuts are fine for their intended use but end of the day they aren`t "top end" stuff.

Regards
    Rob
    :rainfro::rainfro::rainfro:

Quote Originally Posted by CJCNC View Post
    Thanks for the reply.. I called Syil Canada and they told me, like you, that it would take the weight..
    I ordered the Kurt vise in the end, because it has a smaller bold on footprint than the Glacern.. I measured the table and it should fit nicely.. I will post pictures when I get it
    thank you very much..
    i looking forwarder your post
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

So I got the vise from Kurt and it is a beautiful piece of tooling.. I was impressed.. I put it on top of the machine without bolting it down and the motors took the weight just fine, no lag or sound of strain..

I could not position it parallel to the X since the bolt holes were larger than the table.
    It worked parallel to the Y but the front of the vise was coming out almost past the motor..
    I decided to return it and design myself a good subplate for my custom purposes..

Thanks for all the input and sorry I did not get any pictures.

anyone else have a recommendation for an x4 standard? I wanted a 6" Glacern as well but this thread has me rethinking

t300 check this one out. http://www.shars.com/products/view/1...ers_Vise_6quot

I have the 4" version and i like it allot. I wanted the glacern because I though I could use it, But it is very limited on the X4 as the distance between the switches is very small.

thanks for the link, i'll check it out.