585,931 active members*
5,100 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > design and machining raised letters

design and machining raised letters

Apologies if this isn't in the right section, I really wasn't certain where it belonged.

I have a custom "one off" depending on how well it works. to machine a square number plate with raised lettering.

Requirements:

Use a true type font
    pocketing not scanning the surface, to give good character definition
    small border around the perimeter
    Aluminium plate

I'm looking for a recomendation on what packages are suitable to draw up the detail and options for software programming.

Appreciate your help, i've hunted the threads but any responses I found were 2006 and i'm sure things have moved on a lot since then.

Any decent 3D CAD package should be able to do what you want. I use and recommend SolidWorks, but it isn't cheap...

Quote Originally Posted by mcphill View Post
    Any decent 3D CAD package should be able to do what you want. I use and recommend SolidWorks, but it isn't cheap...
    I assume you use Delcam for Solidworks, will it meet all the machining requirements, creating the letters using a custom font and being able to profile the letters rather than scanning.

A friend of mine uses that package I think, although I would rather do it myself.

Inkscape with a GCODE converter.

I just read on cnczone that someone created a plug in for inkscape that will convert image to gcode.

Both are free and Inkscape should handle any font thrown at it. I mention this because I've encountered some CAD packages having issues with Fonts.

Here's the link

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=99063

Quote Originally Posted by osphoto View Post
    Inkscape with a GCODE converter.

I just read on cnczone that someone created a plug in for inkscape that will convert image to gcode.

Both are free and Inkscape should handle any font thrown at it. I mention this because I've encountered some CAD packages having issues with Fonts.

Here's the link

http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=99063
    Thanks for the link, just had a quick nosey, will have a better wee read later (in the middle of a pc repair)

Is this the sort of thing you mean? The drawing and toolpaths in the attached pics were done completely in CamBam in about 2 minutes. The 40 free trials should enable you to do this job easily.

Martin.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.jpg   Capture2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    Is this the sort of thing you mean? The drawing and toolpaths in the attached pics were done completely in CamBam in about 2 minutes. The 40 free trials should enable you to do this job easily.

Martin.
    Yep thats exactly what I need, just waiting on the sample details etc. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by compfranon View Post
    I assume you use Delcam for Solidworks, will it meet all the machining requirements, creating the letters using a custom font and being able to profile the letters rather than scanning.

A friend of mine uses that package I think, although I would rather do it myself.
    I asked my mate to try solidworks, he says using the uk number plate font, the number eights have a sawtooth top edge.

Other mate tried using artcam 2008, using uk number plate font he gets vector errors when trying to create toolpath, both will try more, but any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Number Plate

OneCNC XR4

OneCNC makes short work of a job like this.

Pete
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Number plate.jpg   Number 2.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by compfranon View Post
    I asked my mate to try solidworks, he says using the uk number plate font, the number eights have a sawtooth top edge.

Other mate tried using artcam 2008, using uk number plate font he gets vector errors when trying to create toolpath, both will try more, but any help or guidance would be appreciated.
    Which font is your mate using for number plates?

I'm not sure what other help you might need with this, because I use CamBam all the time for similar things and have no problems at all.

This link http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index....ach=1620;image is a picture of something similar to your requirements and made with CamBam, by the author of CamBam.

Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by blowlamp View Post
    Which font is your mate using for number plates?

I'm not sure what other help you might need with this, because I use CamBam all the time for similar things and have no problems at all.

This link http://www.cambam.co.uk/forum/index....ach=1620;image is a picture of something similar to your requirements and made with CamBam, by the author of CamBam.

Martin.
    The font is "uk number plate", it's down to the vector graphics, if he doesnt get it sussed i'll try the free trials - thanks for the advice