584,871 active members*
5,213 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

VF3 Way Covers

Hi guys. Newbie here to the forum. Question about the way covers on our 2007 VF3. The X axis waycovers on the X+ side "pop" when they are extended or retracted. You can actually see the sheet metal pop when it does it, along with the sound of it popping. I tried checking the forum for old posts but did not find any solutions per say. I figured I would take that side off and then just make sure that there was nothing that snuck underneath to cause it. How hard is it to take them off? All of the wipers look like they are in great shape so I want to make sure that I do it correctly as to not to have to replace anything. At least not yet. Where do you start the dismantling of the covers? I would imagine nearest the table and just work toward the + side of machine? Reverse order when putting back? Also, is there anything to pay close attention to while doing this. I realize it is probably a simple thing but want to do it correctly. Thanks in advance for any help.

Most telescoping way covers come off in one piece, Then you can check and disassemble them on the bench if need be. Just unbolt both sides and lift out. Last thing you want to do is try to re-assemble a cover in a machine. It can be a real PIA.

You can unbolt the covers from the table and slide them towards the outside. You can unbolt the ends and remove them completely if you need to straighten out a dent or something. I just spray them down with WD-40 once in a while and they don't give me problems. The ones that do are the Z covers. The grooves they slide in get packed up with 5hit and they pop apart.
    Also, the X covers are supposed to make a pop sound. They bang into each segment as they move. Sometimes one sticks a little and it's louder than the rest, but it's normal for them to be a little noisy.
    Apparently I don't know anything, so please verify my suggestions with my wife.

IMO never use WD40 on a machine. If you need to lube the waycovers, use VAC2 or some real oil. WD40 with coolant can increase rust quite a bit.

Got 'em...bolt head

Well, I just finished with troubleshooting the "pop" noise. Underneath the way covers, there are some little white plastic tabs underneath. I guess the correct term would be "guides". Looking at them, I discovered that on one side, they were getting scraped and chewed up. Found the culprute. Where the ways end and the two rails that guide the covers start, the rails are bolted close to the way rail area. Found that all bolts were loose and one was loose enough that the bolthead was sticking up above the rail. Thus making the guides "jump" over the bolt head. Nice easy fix. The VMC only has less than 350 hrs on it and I only cut plastic. Just one of those things I suppose. Boss wants me to check the other side in the morning for a tad bit of preventative maint. Thank you guys for the assistance on removing the covers. New it had to be somewhat easy but wanted to do it right.