584,808 active members*
5,253 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Hoss's G0704

Page 344 of 344 244294334342343344
Results 6,861 to 6,871 of 6871

Re: Hoss's G0704

I've been reading a lot of threads and trying to solve an issue I have and this seemed the most appropriate place to post. The quill/spindle on my G0704 is getting insanely hot, particularly the lower section where the bottom angular contact goes. I pulled it apart and the bearings didn't feel great, so bought some new ones on eBay and installed them today. Everything is still getting wicked hot, I measured 170+ F on the bottom of the quill (big part that doesn't retract into the head), and that was after a long break in process and even taking it apart multiple times and trying different combinations of slight preload change and amount of grease (can't really change anything else it seems). Is there a spec for the preload nut? I get it snug with the bearing and then tighten it barely a hair more since I can't find anything of what or how to preload it the correct amount. I'm using the same 32005X and 32007X bearings that came on the machine (albeit a different manufacturer, still Chinese though) and some multi-purpose Lucas Oil grease that I run in the wheel bearings of my truck. I saw far back that Hoss said 140F wasn't bad for normal running conditions, and higher for break in. Am I just being paranoid, and maybe the original bearings were even fine? Having the quill get so hot I can barely have my hand on it for more than a second or two after running 5 minutes at 2000rpm unloaded doesn't seem normal, especially since most people report temperatures in the low 100s or even sub-100. Really not sure what to do now or how to proceed... Thanks.

This may be a little left field but....

Is it possible that the drawbar is being tightened up against the top bearing holder, rather than against the quill?

I use a Tormach drawbar that is too long so I made a spacer that sat on the outer spindle shaft. It was compressing the bearings causing similar symptoms.
    I had to make the spacer sit on the quill instead.

Cheers
    Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    This may be a little left field but....

Is it possible that the drawbar is being tightened up against the top bearing holder, rather than against the quill?

I use a Tormach drawbar that is too long so I made a spacer that sat on the outer spindle shaft. It was compressing the bearings causing similar symptoms.
    I had to make the spacer sit on the quill instead.

Cheers
    Peter

I wish that could be the case, but I've left the draw bar out since my first time putting it back together this morning; even then I didn't put any tools or collets in and only hand snugged that top nut thing for the draw bar.

Is purchasing downloads from Hoss still an option? Thx.

Quote Originally Posted by e53017 View Post
    Is purchasing downloads from Hoss still an option? Thx.
    Yes it is, G0704store
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Ok. Good. Will get on it soon. Out of town working a ton right now.

Hello all:

Total newbie here. There is so much info here that my searches have led to frustration trying to find answers .. so please indulge me a few simple (I think) questions.

I have the Grizzly mill and the plan is to convert it to CNC ultimately. It seems to me that Hoss' method is the direction I want to go. So that said, I just acquired the mill and I want to take it apart for its initial cleanup (bought it from a fellow that changed his mind for a substantial discount). That leads me to consider installing the necessary ball screw upgrades at this time. After installation will I be able to configure the mill for use manually? The plan would be to do some milling to get familiar. Perhaps even to mill the parts from Hoss' plans and later complete the CNC conversion. Secondly, I'd still like to be able to do simple manual milling ... is this possible after the conversion? I expect this to be a lengthy project but would like to do it as efficiently as possible (i.e. reduce disassembly steps).

Thanks in advance. Dan

Quick question:

In the spindle upgrade there are actually 4 bearings that need to be replaced - the two ball bearings on the combo gear, and the two tapered roller bearings in the quill sleeve..correct?

Thanks!

Tim
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons - for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!

Dan,

I know this is late, (didn't get a notification) so I hope it's useful. Ballscrews don't work in a manual mill. They have no holding torque and rely on the holding torque of the motor driving them.

As for being able to mill manually, with stepper motors and ballscrews, I can move the table manually. I've only used that ability to position things for a drill press type job or position the motor's shaft to get at setscrew. Get a motor with shafts on both ends and put your handwheel on the second shaft. You can feel the magnetic steps and I'm not sure if that translates into marks on a piece (never looked).

Bob
    CNC hobbyist since 2003.
    Current CNC hardware: Sherline/A2ZCNC extended, 4 axis X/Y mill and Sherline lathe

Quote Originally Posted by dwhempy View Post
    Hello all:

Total newbie here. There is so much info here that my searches have led to frustration trying to find answers .. so please indulge me a few simple (I think) questions.

I have the Grizzly mill and the plan is to convert it to CNC ultimately. It seems to me that Hoss' method is the direction I want to go. So that said, I just acquired the mill and I want to take it apart for its initial cleanup (bought it from a fellow that changed his mind for a substantial discount). That leads me to consider installing the necessary ball screw upgrades at this time. After installation will I be able to configure the mill for use manually? The plan would be to do some milling to get familiar. Perhaps even to mill the parts from Hoss' plans and later complete the CNC conversion. Secondly, I'd still like to be able to do simple manual milling ... is this possible after the conversion? I expect this to be a lengthy project but would like to do it as efficiently as possible (i.e. reduce disassembly steps).

Thanks in advance. Dan
    Ballscrews are are hell of a lot looser than acme and I'd say you're better off leaving it as is for manual atm.
    You could figure out what motors you want to use and fit them early on with the screws and add control elecs later. This will help a little bit to manual mill with the ballscrews.

1 option is to use a belt drive/pulley setup between the motors and screws and have manual handles on the ends of the screws.
    Another option is to use dual shaft motors direct drive with handles attached to the rear motor shaft.

I don't know much myself but I've seen both setups used.

Exclamation Re: Hoss's G0704 - I need help with a new WEIRD problem, HOSS you still around Help

I have been running my Hoss G0704 cnc conversion with very few problems for the past 4 years.

This week I decided to change my ATC4 from a 6 tool rack to a 10 tool rack. So I made all the pieces, built up the new 12 inch ATC4. I went into the vb script and changed everything to show the new positions of tools, new tool count and new degrees separating the tools.

Here is the NEW problem, I set the steps for the tool rack about 15 or 16 times now. It does 360 degrees on repeated checks. When I run a dry tool change the tool rack either under or over rotates. No changes to the VB script or to the motor tuning or steps per degree but it will not repeat the rotation for tool changes, every one is different no matter what tool I select. If I go from tool 1 to tool 10, the first time it will under rotate, the next time it might over rotate or under rotate, it is not consistent in the error of over or under rotating.

Any one seen this problem before?

Please all suggestions will be gladly accepted.

David

Re: Hoss's G0704 - I need help with a new WEIRD problem, HOSS you still around Help

I had a similar issue on my DM3000 lathe. It has a 6 tool changer. For ages it was spot on. It started doing just as you described and I could never find the cause. However I was running Mach3 via the PP. Back in the XP days. It has been on a back burner for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by skyguynca View Post
    I have been running my Hoss G0704 cnc conversion with very few problems for the past 4 years.

This week I decided to change my ATC4 from a 6 tool rack to a 10 tool rack. So I made all the pieces, built up the new 12 inch ATC4. I went into the vb script and changed everything to show the new positions of tools, new tool count and new degrees separating the tools.

Here is the NEW problem, I set the steps for the tool rack about 15 or 16 times now. It does 360 degrees on repeated checks. When I run a dry tool change the tool rack either under or over rotates. No changes to the VB script or to the motor tuning or steps per degree but it will not repeat the rotation for tool changes, every one is different no matter what tool I select. If I go from tool 1 to tool 10, the first time it will under rotate, the next time it might over rotate or under rotate, it is not consistent in the error of over or under rotating.

Any one seen this problem before?

Please all suggestions will be gladly accepted.

David
    A lazy man does it twice.

Re: Hoss's G0704 - I need help with a new WEIRD problem, HOSS you still around Help

Really, either backlash, something is slipping, or the stepper is loosing or gaining steps due to the extra mass.
    Try slowing it way down and back the accel off and see if it improves. When I went to 12 tools, I had to slow it down some, but it is still really fast.

Yes, i agree. It definitely sounds like it’s missing steps. It could be due to extra weight, etc.
    check that the motor settings acceleration is not too high.
    As suggested, try slowing everything down.

Cheers

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by phomann View Post
    Yes, i agree. It definitely sounds like it’s missing steps. It could be due to extra weight, etc.
    check that the motor settings acceleration is not too high.
    As suggested, try slowing everything down.

Cheers

Peter

In my case it wasnt missing steps nor had any loose hardware.
    And it wasnt consistent in the amount traveled positive or negative.
    This was years ago. It was damned infuriating. Especially after running trouble free for years.
    I always suspected an automatic update but couldnt track it to anything.
    Slowing down accel etc never made any change.

A lazy man does it twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post
    This was years ago. It was damned infuriating. Especially after running trouble free for years.

I had issue with mine too that was PC related and affected the P-Port driver.
    Error: "MARK_FUN load NT driver"
    If this error didn't come up on startup it would miss steps every full rotation.
    You could hear the bumping noise.

If the error appeared then it was fine.

I slowed it down , I sped it up, I changed number of steps and retuned the motor went through complete set up again. And again it was off on every rotation and it was never linear sometimes it was a lot and sometimes it was very little but it was always off and it didn't matter whether you were going forwards or backwards.

I took the leads from my A axis driver, and connected it to the tool changer stepper motor. Now it works fine so it must have been the driver. Everything was working fine and then this driver just died. Glad I was watching it cut when it went to do the tool change or it would have been a terrible crash.

Need to figure out a way to make a closed loop system, that's affordable, for steppers that work with mach3 so those of us with older systems can upgrade them and keep them running without having to spend a fortune on new software and Hardware.

So now I need to buy a new driver so my rotary table can be back up and running on the mill.

Thanks for the suggestions

David

Quote Originally Posted by Fastest1 View Post

I've seen this happen with wood routers where dust and swarf builds up on the axes and binds it up over time.
    In these cases I disconnect the steppers and see if the axes are binding by moving them by hand.

Cheers,

Peter

Does anyone know where I could find the plans for the pdb 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Freeway99 View Post
    Does anyone know where I could find the plans for the pdb 3?
    PM sent, Merry Christmas!
    Hoss
    http://www.hossmachine.info - Gosh, you've... really got some nice toys here. - Roy Batty -- http://www.g0704.com - http://www.bf20.com - http://www.g0602.com

Page 344 of 344 244294334342343344