585,737 active members*
4,543 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Assembling Gecko based controller

Assembling Gecko based controller

I`m not a student in electronics engineering. Can I still put together my own Gecko based stepper or servo controller? Is there any detailed "how to" wiring scheme? And what about bigger power supply; Do I have to build one myself? (I`d rather not...)

Last time I checked Centronics had finished box at around $2500 or more. That`s more than I`m willing to spend on Gecko system.

Do you know which steppers or servos you'll be using?

For once I`d like to buy decent motors. I could go as high as $500 per motor, whether servo or stepper. That`s why I decided to build controller first, with bigger power supply. Then I could match perfect motors, right?

I can`t specify motor voltage/Amps right now. I think I would take everything Gecko drives have to offer (power wise). I might need something like 500oz good performance servos or 500-1000oz steppers. I prefer steppers simplicity, high torque/low RPM would work for my application too. Plus I don`t really need closed loop system.

Thanks

I dont know anything about the servo models but the stepper controllers are about as easy as it gets. Everything is clearly labeled and screw terminals are provided. You simply provide step & direction signals from LPT1 of your computer, power for the drive (5V), power for the motor, a current limiting resistor (the value is printed right on the case) and then hook up your motor via 4 contacts. Resolution is jumper pin selectable. There are two models, one unipolar and one bipolar I think. Yes you can figure it out. They have great support also. There is also a resting position current resistor connection also, at least on the 256 microstep model. The "bigger" power supply is just a transformer, a bridge rectifier and a capacitor, plus some fuses. Its not a complicated power supply thats for sure. I dont think theres anything that would trip you up, especially with this forum for help.
    Halfnutz

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Sounds good. I think I`ll try to build this thing myself.
    Thanks for the reply.

walter, it would be a good idea to find the steppers or servos you plan on using. Check the classified adds...Dan Maunch had some large steppers for about $130.

Nono Guest

i buy stepper drives from ebay

i drive brigde port with stepper drives from ebay

Quote Originally Posted by walter
    I`m not a student in electronics engineering. Can I still put together my own Gecko based stepper or servo controller? Is there any detailed "how to" wiring scheme? And what about bigger power supply; Do I have to build one myself? (I`d rather not...)

Last time I checked Centronics had finished box at around $2500 or more. That`s more than I`m willing to spend on Gecko system.

Take a look at my web site at www.camtronics-cnc.com. I have some low priced cases and complete kits as well as assembled unit.

Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc.
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    [email protected]
    www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Excellent site Dan

How can I take advantage of what you have on offer without being stung on shipping? (to Australia)

I checked out a good offer on Ebay for 3 steppers only to find the UPS shipping cost would be $300.

Cheers

Andy

Stepper motors and servo motors

I sell a lot of stepper motors form 252 oz in up to 1303 oz in stepper motors that a pretty low cost. I also sell MCG servo motors. I can get you 224 oz in continupos and 1102 peak torque motors for only $249 with encoders.
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    www.camtronics-cnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by walter
    For once I`d like to buy decent motors. I could go as high as $500 per motor, whether servo or stepper. That`s why I decided to build controller first, with bigger power supply. Then I could match perfect motors, right?

I can`t specify motor voltage/Amps right now. I think I would take everything Gecko drives have to offer (power wise). I might need something like 500oz good performance servos or 500-1000oz steppers. I prefer steppers simplicity, high torque/low RPM would work for my application too. Plus I don`t really need closed loop system.

Thanks
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    [email protected]
    www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Lightbulb

Andy

$300 to ship to Australia?!! I just couldn't believe that until I looked it up myself. I also looked at the Untited States Postal Service ( www.usps.com ) and found that they are actually quite reasonable if you are willing to wait. 4-10 days for a 30lb (13.6kg) is $130....4-6 weeks was $54. Even 2-3 days was 30% cheaper then UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mauch
    I sell a lot of stepper motors form 252 oz in up to 1303 oz in stepper motors that a pretty low cost. I also sell MCG servo motors. I can get you 224 oz in continupos and 1102 peak torque motors for only $249 with encoders.
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    www.camtronics-cnc.com
    Dan,
    Do you have any servo motor for 4'x6' cnc router? i'm using G320

For anyone overseas from the US, you might like to look at www.shopthestates.com (My wife is a quilter and one of her buddies uses this site to get material across to Aus).

It seems like a good alternative to UPS and for me will work out to $40 - $50 rather than $300 stated when using UPS.

Andy

You might want to check out the PMDX breakout board for Geckos. It saves some wiring that has caused a lot of people grief over the years. Same problem with shipping though.
    http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-131/index.html

Servo motors for a 4x6

I sell several different new motors that range from 1102 peak torque down to 600 oz in . They come with a .250 diameter shaft for the encoder and the drive shaft is .5D. Contact me off line to determine what size motor you really need. The reason Is I need to know if your drive mechanism is rack and pinion? Ball screw? what pitch what drive reduction is needed etc.

Dan
    www.camtronics-cnc.com
    low cost encoders, servo motors and stepper motors. Cabinets for G201,G210, G320 and G 340.

Quote Originally Posted by cnc2k
    Dan,
    Do you have any servo motor for 4'x6' cnc router? i'm using G320
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    [email protected]
    www.seanet.com/~dmauch

Quote Originally Posted by unterhaus
    You might want to check out the PMDX breakout board for Geckos. It saves some wiring that has caused a lot of people grief over the years. Same problem with shipping though.
    http://www.pmdx.com/PMDX-131/index.html

Thanks unterhaus, it`s a great idea..

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mauch
    Dan Mauch
    Camtronics Inc
    www.camtronics-cnc.com

Thanks for the reply. I might also need better steppers for my old Xylotex board (2.5amp/phase). What would be specs for bipolar parallel on 258 oz steppers? (1H23014)