585,737 active members*
4,818 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Solar power

Page 1 of 3 123

Solar power

In my quest of making ways to generate power (for free). I am researching about solar panels. What all goes into these things?

Anybody know more about these things?

Much the same as all power generation.. Not that I am an expert or anything..

Solar panel, some type of battery storage, some type of voltage regulation, and of course the old power inverter to turn the DC into something usefull for the house.

I was looking into this a while back.. what I discovered is that it is cheaper to use a wind generator instead of solar panels.

Sorry im not much help
    Murphy

Looks like I need to "sandwich" the glass, Ethyl Vinyl Acetate and Tedlar (or I can use aluminum). I need to use a vacuum

thanks murphy at least I Get some response. But I am actually talking about producing the solar panel itself. I could wire up everything else but I want to make the panel itself.

I belive it is the vacuuming that is going to be difficult. Cause if bubbles in caught in it could be disasterous to the panel.

HUH? You want to manufacturer your own solar cells??

What How ??? You plan on making your own junctions to convert photon into electron??
    Your way above me.. Ouch..

Murphy

yes that is what I plan on doing. It is going to work like this diagram
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails solcell.gif  

Are you willing to help? I am going to do more research on it.

First thing I belive I am going to get and start out with is some good low iron glass because I found out it allows the most light to pass through.

and it doesn't distort the spectrum of light

My understanding is that solar cell efficiency is dependant upon the number of junctions per square whatever..
    Current technology is attempting to set a silicon atom atop a carbon nanotube and then squeeze a gazzillion of them onto the panel.. (I think I read that in popular science magazine somewhere)

What kind of manufacturing technology do you have access to? My understanding is that the same technology that makes computer chips is currently also used to make solar panels.

Murphy

I only own a cnc machine shop but I am willing to experiment with any machines. I am just doing this as a hobby and wnat to learn about this to be more "ahead" of the future. I don't like depending on the electrial companies for electricity. I am very interested in this and the manufacutring process.

To my knowledge, (and this is only a guess), to manufacturer a panel requires several million dollars in equipment. I have never seen or heard of anyone doing this in a garage or home shop type setting.

However, have you thought of wind power? I investigated this one the most.. The average house, located in a decent spot, needs only a 20 foot diameter wind prop/rotor to generate all the electricity required to run an efficient home.
    A 20 foot generator is not out of the range of a home shop.. And they produce power so long as the wind blows.. Even at night...

Murphy

haha a 20 foot diameter wing span haha damn that is big. That would mean you would need it at least 10+ in the air. Probably even more so you don't kill your pets or childern.

But since I live in the "sunshine" state. I am more into solar power. There is some wind here but not always espically in the month we are in now. Then if we had a hurricane Oh boy

but really I am into anything.

Quote Originally Posted by murphy625
    To my knowledge, (and this is only a guess), to manufacturer a panel requires several million dollars in equipment. I have never seen or heard of anyone doing this in a garage or home shop type setting.

However, have you thought of wind power? I investigated this one the most.. The average house, located in a decent spot, needs only a 20 foot diameter wind prop/rotor to generate all the electricity required to run an efficient home.
    A 20 foot generator is not out of the range of a home shop.. And they produce power so long as the wind blows.. Even at night...

Murphy

where you find out that you need million dollars of equipment (what kind of equipment if I might ask). To do this?

I researching it and the teddler you can get from dupont. There is a glass company that I can get low iron glass from and then the ethya adhesive to bond them.

Well, like I said, I am no expert. (that wasn't a joke)

But its my understanding that a solar junction is not all that different from your average transistor in the technology..
    How small of an item can you manipulate with your current equipment? From my understanding, they are measuring solar junction in the nanometer range..

Don't take my word for it though.. My above statements are gathered from casual reading.. (most of it from popular science and popular mechanics magazines while sitting in the bathroom)
    But they have some cool pictures.... LOL

Anyhow.. to cut the silicon junction you need, it is my understanding that you need a machine that can make computer chips.. (not sure what they call it but I'm pretty sure its expensive)

I will remember this thread though.. The next time I am bored, I think I'm going to google this subject and find out exactly...

Murphy

From what I've read, you'll need to somehow vacuum vapor deposit a layer of pure silicon (surplus silicon wafers are for sale from the Electronics Goldmine). Once you get layers/sheets of pure silicon, you need to dope one of them with phosphorous and one with boron. Once you have the junction, you need a contact grid for both sides. Conductive glass might work (glass coated in tin), but something more conductive would be ideal.

edit:
    Just looked in an electronics book, seems I was wrong about using physically seperate layers. The P and N type layers are formed in a 1200 celsius hydrogen rich atmosphere, with silicon chloride and either phospine or biborane for the different layer types. The silicon chloride reacts with the hydrogen, producing HCL and silicon. I believe the silicon must be grown on top of the bottom contact grid, probably aluminum. If you were able to make a working solar cell, I would be amazed. Good luck.

There is new technology being developed using polymers instead of silicon. This came from the new polymer LED research which is also going on.

http://www.cdtltd.co.uk/technology/41.asp

Ggoto http://www.fieldlines.com/ you will find allot of info on homemade solar

Frank

My best advise to you would be to make the windmill and generate your power that way..
    As I said, 20 foot rotar would be all you need.. If that's to much, how about making a 5 foot model instead? Get the practice, make a 2nd one later on...

The great thing about wind power is that everything is available used, there are no "super special" things to be done...
    Also, if you build it right, should a hurricane come, you can take the rotor off the tower and put it back up as soon as the hurricane passes..

Murphy

Another option is a Hydrogen based fuel cell . Theres plenty of information on the web.

Heres a intro:
    http://www.uwec.edu/grossmzc/macombbd.html

Paul

Page 1 of 3 123