524,018 active members*
3,069 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12
    Registered
    the only way I can engrave is set a lower power setting, I can't really draw because as you see, I get one power setting.

So I have to run two passes.

Some folks say I can do more with the controller than just use DeskNC, but until I get ahead inventory wise I really don't want to be fooling with anything inside that box

I have the laser up and running with the 100 watt tube and it is indeed VERY controllable right down to %4 of rated power.

I can engrave on paper without cutting through at speeds of 100mm/s and then cut right through pine wood 18 mm thick in a single pass. Probably more if I had a more powerful air pump. I have set my MAX power setting to 90% in software so I don't run it too hot. I will also need a chiller as the little air radiator I have just isn't enough to keep up the cooling with cutting 600 snow flakes 8" in size. I ended up getting another bottle of distilled water and putting it in the freezer for a few hours and then alternating the bottles to keep the water temp under 24 deg. pretty hard when the ambient is 43 deg in the shed.

The only thing I am really worried about is having it in the shed when the temp get to below freezing and the water in the tube freezes and wants to crack the glass. I hope this doesn't happen but it is something I can live without.

Time will tell if the tube is good value for money. So far I am VERY pleased with it.

The tube hasn't got a metal to glass seal and upon further inspection it has the ends glued on like all the rest but I don't know if there is an o-ring seal in there or not. The glue seal is very thin and hard to detect except if you look closely.

Rich.
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Registered
    What do you set the PWM frequency at? I know it can be changed in the software but I haven't found any info on what the min/max is.

Registered

potentiometer diagram for power setting

Hi,I also enclosed potentiometer diagram (variable resistor)for power setting.
    hope all friends will clear this upon "tdiaz"'s photo now.
    :rainfro:
    mike@xyz-tech.com

Quote Originally Posted by tdiaz View Post
    That looks like the RECI tube I have, and have worked out a table with voltage settings, to get me various power settings:

The Speed of Orbit » and the next have some photos of the setup.

This is how I have it now, with a meter inline, a large knob so I can turn it with more detail. I pick a voltage and that gives me the output level desired when triggered.

See a larger one, here: Laser power setting selector with inline meter to set a speci... on Twitpic (click the photo header to see a larger one)

Using this RECI tube and the "100W" power supply from Light Object, and the attached power setting table, I get the same output each time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails potentioneter_digram_for_power_setting.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    What do you set the PWM frequency at? I know it can be changed in the software but I haven't found any info on what the min/max is.
    I got my PWM setting info from the seller who consulted the manufacturer.

Most of the glass tube laser seem to be set at 10 KHz to 20 KHz.

I set mine at 20KHz and it seems to work very well.

:-)
    I am not completely useless.......I can always serve as a BAD example.

Quote Originally Posted by epilotdk View Post
    For information only - the Synrad RF tubes are recommended to run at 5 kHz with 20 kHz as the maximum.

Tweakie.
    CNC is only limited by our imagination.

Page 2 of 2 12