585,690 active members*
4,867 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Wanting input for software recommendations.

Wanting input for software recommendations.

I am at the point of lining up software for my CNC build. I have been looking at quite a bit of different packages and have been looking at this forum for others postings. A lot are on the older versions of some packages.

My needs are to be able and do carving, sign making, cabinet trims and detailed custom headers. I would also like to do panel cutting of cabinets with having the holes drilled for side shelves and the doors cutout for European hinges as well.

Then the ability to build parts and pieces made of wood, aluminum, brass, plastic and other soft materials.

I have looked at Vcarve Pro and just now playing with the demo. It seems like this might be the package for my needs, but just wanting input on Vcarve Pro or other packages that I might have not looked at.

I have look at Alibre Design also and like this package and the home version pricing of $99.00, but I know it is nothing like Vcarve Pro in the carving and cutting, but will Vcarve pro handling the designing like Alibre?

Thanks in advance to everyone’s input.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by NVTS View Post

I have look at Alibre Design also and like this package and the home version pricing of $99.00, but I know it is nothing like Vcarve Pro in the carving and cutting, but will Vcarve pro handling the designing like Alibre?

Thanks in advance to everyone’s input.

Howard
    Hello Howard,

Alibre is a Cad program only, it's a very capable cad program but if you want the Cam plugin it's big money.
    I prefer Rhinoceros for Cad design, it's very powerful but yet easy to use and if bought on a student license quit cheap, it also as a very good cam plugin but that is Bigmoney as well.

I made a BIG BIG mistake and purchased Bobcad camv23, it's rubbish and fully recommend you stay away.
    It's toolpath 2d stratagies are poor, 3Dtoolpaths are a joke, it crash's for fun the tool table's are a joke, the post processors(Mach3) are rubbish and dangerous if not checked and modified. I could go on but wont and just say stay away.!!

I think you'll be better with Alibre or Rhinoceros for designing then importing into VcarvePro and use it's cam feature's.
    Vcarve is probably the best for your application toolpath wise but it's maybe a little limiting or harder on the design side.? . . . . Vcarve user's will put you straight on that comment i'm sure.!

Good luck.