585,987 active members*
4,210 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Hardinge Lathes > Hardinge superslant x axis brake is on

Hardinge superslant x axis brake is on

We just bought a hardinge superslant sb 3 gn 1986. We had to convert it to a 230 from a 460 to power it on. After using jumpers to convert it, we powered it on and it came on. However, we have an alarm that wont let the x axis move or anything for that matter. The alarm is 2008 x axis brake is on not ready. Help!!!!! We got a wiring diagram from Johnson electric coil company and there engineer told us how to convert it. Don't know if it was right, but it did power up fine and the phasing seems to be correct cause the fans are going in the right direction.

Most fans are single phase, so don't assume the phasing is correct. If you have a hydraulic unit on that machine, that would be a much better way to tell.

The hydraulic unit is working.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabrina_B View Post
    We just bought a hardinge superslant sb 3 gn 1986. We had to convert it to a 230 from a 460 to power it on. After using jumpers to convert it, we powered it on and it came on. However, we have an alarm that wont let the x axis move or anything for that matter. The alarm is 2008 x axis brake is on not ready. Help!!!!! We got a wiring diagram from Johnson electric coil company and there engineer told us how to convert it. Don't know if it was right, but it did power up fine and the phasing seems to be correct cause the fans are going in the right direction.
    To find out what alarm you have jump wires #48 and #50 on terminal TB6 (by spindle motor) then it will show you real alarm

Sabrina B, you mentioned that you were given info on converting your machine to 230. We are also doing that to one of our machines. Would you be able to send any info on how you did yours? Thanks!

Sabrina B, I spent hours digging through my super slant docs and found what appears to be partial info on converting. the big transformer should be as follows. line1 h1,h5,h22,h26
    line2 h4,h8,h10,h14
    line3 h13,h17,h19,h23.
    . It appears to mention some thing about resistors on the drive boards too. Im going to keep digging.

Also transformer t1 used terminals h1 and h3. transformer t2 leave alone.

Wiring diagram

I am not sure that I still have the wiring diagram. However, I still have the machine and it is up and running. Therefore, I could take a picture of ours that shows u where the wire go. I will need your email address. Please, let me know that you have received this.

I have all of the full doc's for ours. It was tapped for 440 when we got it and no-one told us that. So when we hooked it up it blew the power supply in the spindle drive. Ours is an 84 but i bet it has the same transformer. Let me know if you need copies we've got the schematics for everything including the GN manuals and Prints of the mechanics etc..
    Even a spare spindle drive - the power supply on one of the boards.