585,922 active members*
3,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > HURCO > Motion control queue error?
Page 1 of 2 12

Motion control queue error?

We've got a Hurco VM1 here, and the past couple of days we've been trying to run a fairly large program (100,000+ blocks of code, 18 hours or so), about half of which runs at 8000RPM. We've been doing it in steps, so it only runs at 8000RPM for about 20-30 minutes at a time, the rest is with a smaller tool and only runs at about 4000RPM, again for like 20 minutes at a time.

We've been getting an error, always with the high RPM's, and it reads "Motion control queue detected in axis xyz". This stops the program completely, and requires me to find the line it stopped at, re-enter the G and M codes to start the machine at that point, and then I can restart it at that line.

Anyone have any idea what could be causing this? I can't find any oddities in the code in the area where it stops, certainly nothing going out of the limits of travel or anything like that, since it's within 1.5" of center

What software version is the machine on?
    Press input to display the version at the top of the display.

Quote Originally Posted by bloke View Post
    What software version is the machine on?
    Press input to display the version at the top of the display.
    07.01.12.19ST

It should be the most recent version since the hurco guy was just here last week updating everything, trying to figure out why the machine locks up occasionally when using the probe. But that's a less urgent problem at the moment

Have you tried adjusting the surface finish quality setting?

Have you tried adjusting the surface finish quality setting?
    on the mill itself? No. We haven't changed any settings recently. We're cutting with a 1/64" endmill at a feedrate of 2 or less, and depth cuts of 0.003". I can't figure out if there's a sensor that's going bad, if it's overheating, or what's going on. It certainly acts like it should be something in the code, but there's nothing out of the ordinary there

Go to the program parameters and change the suface finish quality to a lower figure. Also, try adjusting the tool path tolerance to a larger number. See what it's set at now and change it by half again.

By the way, what probing system do you have fitted to that? I've fitted dozens of Renishaw part, tool and laser probes to Hurcos and don't get problems with them.

Go to the program parameters and change the suface finish quality to a higher figure. Also, try adjusting the tool path tolerance to a larger number. See what it's set at now and change it by half again.
    What exactly do those settings adjust? I don't want to change anything that might mess up a future program.

Our dealer had the boss reset a few connections in the back of the machine, so we're going to see if that fixes it. If not, we'll try changing these settings.

By the way, what probing system do you have fitted to that? I've fitted dozens of Renishaw part, tool and laser probes to Hurcos and don't get problems with them.
    We've got a Renishaw probing system, that's way underused by our current machinist, but will likely get used a lot more when he retires.

The machine has two sets of parameters (hidden) for contouring. The SFQ setting can run in 100 steps between coarse lower accuracy, greater speed and fine higher accuracy but slightly slower. It is a parameter that you can adjust to ensure smoother running of the machine and help eliminate problems due to coarser output from CAD systems.
    The tool path tolerance is also there to help smooth Cad data for better finishes.
    Both settings can be changed at will and will not mess up future programs.

Is your probe a tool probe a part probe or a laser tool probe (Or a combination of two)?

The machine has two sets of parameters (hidden) for contouring. The SFQ setting can run in 100 steps between coarse lower accuracy, greater speed and fine higher accuracy but slightly slower. It is a parameter that you can adjust to ensure smoother running of the machine and help eliminate problems due to coarser output from CAD systems.
    The tool path tolerance is also there to help smooth Cad data for better finishes.
    Both settings can be changed at will and will not mess up future programs.

Is your probe a tool probe a part probe or a laser tool probe (Or a combination of two)?
    I'll have to take a look at those settings if it doesn't work. The SFQ was at 50, and the tool path tolerance was at 0.0005", assuming I was looking at the right option, it said surface tolerance or something along those lines.

The probe is the OMP40 model (http://www.renishaw.com/en/omp40-2-c...ch-probe--7992), so whatever you make of that.

The OMP40 is a good probe system. It may be wired slightly differently to how I do it. The switch settings in the optical pickup are quite important as are the settings in the OMP itself.
    If you continue to have problems, I can send the wiring and settings I use for comparison.

Try the SFQ at 25 and the toolpath tolerance at 0.001"

The OMP40 is a good probe system. It may be wired slightly differently to how I do it. The switch settings in the optical pickup are quite important as are the settings in the OMP itself.
    If you continue to have problems, I can send the wiring and settings I use for comparison.

Try the SFQ at 25 and the toolpath tolerance at 0.001"
    I changed the SFQ to 25, but left the toolpath tolerance, so we'll see if that fixes it. It's been somewhat consistent at 15-20 minutes before it shuts down, so I should know pretty soon.

It looks like it fixed the problem. The mill's been running for almost two hours without stopping, so that's a lot farther than it got the last three times. Now, if I trusted the cutter not to break, I'd have them leave the program run all night and it'd be done

Good news there fella! Keep us posted on your probing problem too.

Good news there fella! Keep us posted on your probing problem too.
    Thanks for the help.

I don't think the probing problem has happened since the software on the mill was updated last week, but we also haven't done a heck of a lot of probing since we've only run two different products. Hopefully the software update fixes it.

Well, the error popped up again today so the boss called the repairman. It sounds like he's putting in a whole new board, so we'll see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by mafitch7479 View Post
    Well, the error popped up again today so the boss called the repairman. It sounds like he's putting in a whole new board, so we'll see what happens
    That didn't fix it.

We're getting a second error every time it comes up with the motion control queue error, and it says something similar to "ATC Error, exchange arm at 0 degrees input not detected".

It's happening on the same tool (out of 3 tools in the program), always the 1/64" cutter, but never in the same spot in the pattern. This last time, it popped up with the error before it even started cutting with the 1/64", which should eliminate any heat and expansion problems. This thing is really starting to get annoying

how old is your machine?

Quote Originally Posted by powerr View Post
    how old is your machine?
    not very old. Couple of years at most.

Depending on how involved you want to get with this, I could suggest a way of moving some better parameters into your contouring parameter set. Are you prepared to have a bit of a tinker? It's all reversable if you don't find it helps.

Page 1 of 2 12