585,977 active members*
4,115 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Garage shop machine selection

I have done a lot of tinkering over the years building different devices in the garage with just a drill press and metal saw but am finding that to be limiting my abilities. I recently decided I want to take the plunge and get a CNC mill and possibly a lathe. I don't really have a lot to spend maybe $5k USD a little more if I take out a loan. So this has me looking at the Shopmaster VFD with a 3.5 amp 4-axis CNC.

Is this a good choice? Are they generally regarded as decent machines?

I have limited machining background (machine shop class about 5 years ago) pick machines up quickly, and know computer very well, but will I be able to get something like this going on my own?

Basically this unit would be used to produce prototypes and when a design is finalized I would probably have things produced else where (emachineshop). I want to transition some of my work in to return.

Here is an example of a motor plate I made that really could have benefited from CNC mill:

You looking at converting it yourself or buying it already working?

Look into the Grizzly G0704:
    http://grizzly.com/products/G0704
    Grizzly G0602:
    http://grizzly.com/products/G0602

HOSS CNC: converting G0704 to CNC
    http://www.youtube.com/user/hossmachine

The thread on CNCZONE:
    http://cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=111863

Both machines are about $1000 dollars each and are prime canidates to convert if you would want to go that route. I have (2) G0704's that i plan on converting. I hope to pick up the lathe this winter.

diyengineer,

Thanks for the response, I have been checking out your suggestions and looking over the CNC modification in Hossmachine's thread too. After viewing a couple videos of the setup I think I would really feel better buying the CNC system already installed, pretty much ready to go.

Are the Shopmaster machines usually regarded as junk as machines? Lots of slop or bad tolerances, weak frame/chassis, etc.?

For the Lathe/Mill combo with 4 axis CNC, no gearbox/VFD 2x1HP, a couple vices, mounts, and about 16 carbide bits/tools the price is still only around $4,000 plus freight. But I don't want to buy into that and find it a total POS. I found some absolute hatred for this machine over at practical machines forums so that has me worried...

In this economy 5k should get you a running cnc mill such as this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Anilam-CNC-and-P...item2a0a4cac28

That is assuming that you have the room for it.

Of course this one is close to me but it all depends on where you live.

Mike
    Warning: DIY CNC may cause extreme hair loss due to you pulling your hair out.

Wink

In my honest opinion, and from what i have read on the forum (i read a lot), i would bet money on 8+/10 people on this forum would probably call that machine junk, especially for that price tag. If you read more and more, all in one machines are a pretty crappy investment and give poor quality compared to what you really could do with your $4000.

When i started out, everyone on here told me to:
    A. Avoid "all in one machines", and lathe mill combos.
    B. Avoid mills that have round columns and not square columns with dovetails.
    C. Don't rush into a machine without reading a ton and knowing what your doing. This saved me a lot of money. I researched the living hell out of everything i could find. This forum is your best resource by far.

To really help narrow your selection of machines down what do you plan on doing?
    How much travel on a mill do you need?
    How large of a lathe do you need?

You could still buy the G0602, G0704 and have $2000 dollars in the bank and two precision machines that can easily be converted BY you later because you could learn the in and outs of manual machining first.

If you didn't want to do that i would suggest putting your $4000 dollars into the best Mill you can buy, and add on a 4th rotary axis to the table. This will at least give you lathe abilities.

If you really want a turn key system check out these machines below.
    Check out these machines:
    http://littlemachineshop.com/product...ory=1241045623

Where do you live? Have you searched the classified adds on this forum? Looked on craigslist? I found my machine on craigslist, and bought my 2 G0704's from the grizzly tent sale for 50% off both of them. If you don't have much money (like most of us on here), you have to really stretch it as far as it can go! there are tons of deals out there, especially in this current economy with shops closing down, people selling machines to pay for other things etc.

Also, If you want much better feedback you should start a new thread and title it "I have $4000 dollars, what are my CNC options" (or something like that)..
    Put it in the
    Want To Buy...Need help
    Link to it below, you will get the help you are looking for.
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=389

Hope that helped you out a bit. There are way better turn key options out there that will last a lot longer, give better performance, and in the end make you simply happier.

Quote Originally Posted by magudaman View Post
    diyengineer,

Thanks for the response, I have been checking out your suggestions and looking over the CNC modification in Hossmachine's thread too. After viewing a couple videos of the setup I think I would really feel better buying the CNC system already installed, pretty much ready to go.

Are the Shopmaster machines usually regarded as junk as machines? Lots of slop or bad tolerances, weak frame/chassis, etc.?

For the Lathe/Mill combo with 4 axis CNC, no gearbox/VFD 2x1HP, a couple vices, mounts, and about 16 carbide bits/tools the price is still only around $4,000 plus freight. But I don't want to buy into that and find it a total POS. I found some absolute hatred for this machine over at practical machines forums so that has me worried...

Ok you talked me into, I be buying the Patriot tomorrow! :bs:

Well in fact this information along with a couple other sources have me no longer looking at the Shopmaster unit. I think I will take in your advice and slow down, do some more research to make a better decision. I will also keep an eye out for used machines to see what is available in my area.

I will create a new thread over in the suggested area of the forum and meantime continue reading like crazy!

PS thank you so much for including links, instead of trying to make me use the search engine to find those specific areas or items. I wish more people posted like you :-)

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP EVERYONE!

=) I like helping others.

There is one downside to learning though.. the more you learn the more you will want lol. haha

theres the novakon nm145, which is $6000 right now i think, but includes mach3, and visual mill cam software, and coolant system, gecko control and some other nice bits.

i just got one and so far its been very nice. i just carved up a whole bunch of brass this morning. im not sure how big that side plate on the bike is though. the 145 has 15"x8" travel. most "prebuilt" machines this price range are similar.

the use machine option is a good one if you know how to clean them up and check them over. unfortunately most of the nicer ones you can find are a bit bigger than garage size and use 3 phase power.

That used Ebay machine is a steal if gotten for under 3k. I paid 5k five years ago for a Supermax (slightly better, bigger table, stronger head) with the same control. A used industrial machine pretty much always smokes a smaller hobby machine.

How did your electric bike turn out? Range, speed, power? What motor and control did you use?