585,744 active members*
4,021 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport motor identification

Need help to tell what motor is on this bridgeport series 1 mill. The motor id tag has been removed. We want to get a vfd to power it. My uncle had it in his basement and had it hooked up to another motor to get his 3 phase and we would like to go with vfd. The head has serial number of J6825 the knee serial is 17893. And any suggestions on a good vfd for this unit would be appreciated. I cant tell what H.P. motor it is so we dont know what vfd to get. thanks in advance.
    http://s842.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=DSC01659.jpg
    I hope the photo is at photobucket. thanks

can't go by those numbers

post a pic of the motor

Quote Originally Posted by holbieone View Post
    can't go by those numbers

post a pic of the motor
    picture available now at photobucket. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cruzin View Post
    picture available now at photobucket. thanks

pic not loading

I would go with a CDs that can run a 2hp motor. That is what I use. Never seen a series 1 with more than 2hp someone please correct me if I am wrong.

My ac drive is made by Teco.

Quote Originally Posted by bret4 View Post
    I would go with a CDs that can run a 2hp motor. That is what I use. Never seen a series 1 with more than 2hp someone please correct me if I am wrong.

My ac drive is made by Teco.
    I think its a 1 hp but unsure. What is a CDs? And I will look for a teco and see what they are about. thanks for the reply.

I have know idea how CDs got in my post. I
    Ment to type AC Drive. It could be that I am using my iPod to respond to you and it did something strange.

Quote Originally Posted by bret4 View Post
    I have know idea how CDs got in my post. I
    Ment to type AC Drive. It could be that I am using my iPod to respond to you and it did something strange.
    Ive been reading up on the Teco and lots of folks like them
    I have heard that you should buy one rated twice the output as your motor..1hp motor= 2hp vfd. Have you heard that? Would it hurt if you did that anyway? thanks again.

When I bought my unit. Its a Teco N3. I was told that with the ac drive / VFD there is no need to buy one that is rated for any more than the motor you are going to run. My machine has a 2hp motor and the Teco N3 is rated for 2hp. Works great with my machine.

Only thing I was told to watch out for was that the internal fan inside the motor may not cool the motor enough when running at slow speeds. If you plan on running the motor at low speeds with the drive then you may want to add an external cooling fan on the motor. I have a vari-drive so I change spindle speeds with that most of the time. Sometimes I want to go a bit slower and run the ac drive at about 1/2 speed for short times with no problems.

Here is one place that has the model I have.

http://dealerselectric.com/item.asp?PID=400

My unit is a NEMA 1 enclosure. NEMA 1 doesn't protect it from flying chips so I mounted my unit up high on the side of the milling head where the on/off switch would go. I do not blow chips like crazy with an air hose and haven't gotten anything in the control in the past year and a half. If you are in a place where chips may get into the control you may want to protect it more from chips or go with a NEMA 4 enclosure. The NEMA 4 enclosure cost more but also protects it more from anything getting into the control.

For the home shop that I use my unit in NEMA 1 has been fine so far.

pic not loading
    Sorry the picture was too big to load into this site so its on photobucket and I got the url wrong in post.
    I found a site that includes the j6*** serial as a 1hp head. But Im not sure if the motor is original or not. The knee was made in the 50s' the head in the 60s' and cant be sure if the motor originally came on this head or knee. Want to get a vfd and want to order the proper one. thanks

it looks like a 1 H.P.

is it 110v or 220v

it looks like a 1 H.P.

is it 110v or 220v
    We got it from my uncle and I will have to double check what he had it wired to but I do believe it was 220. He had it wired through another motor to give it 3 phase. I will check to make sure this week. thanks

My guess would also be a 1hp motor. The 2 hp motors were taller. Don't think they had much more than 1hp on those older round ram machines.

it looks like a 1 H.P.

is it 110v or 220v
    it was hooked up to 3 phase wiring so I assume 220.

now which drive to get

been looking at the teco drive for a 1 hp motor. Is there a difference in these drives as far as converting it to cnc. we want to convert to cnc in the near future. so planing that which drive would be best? Can programs like mach3 connect to the motor for any reason? should I be looking for something more than to just run the motor such as i/o. thanks for any tips. I hope to order one the end of this week. the main line i have been looking at is the teco

I'm pretty sure the teco N3 can be run with Mach 3. You may want to ask around the cnc forums to be sure.