585,970 active members*
4,277 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

X2 CNC conversion kit?

Hi

Anyone know of a CNC conversion kit for the X2 mini mill? I have the Harbor freight version and would like to make it cnc

Thanks

Kev

CNC fusion makes a kit http://www.cncfusion.com/minimill1.html but its not cheap and you still need to buy the electronics (Breakout board, Stepper motors, Drivers)

Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    Hi

Anyone know of a CNC conversion kit for the X2 mini mill? I have the Harbor freight version and would like to make it cnc

Thanks

Kev
    Kev,

Here's a second vote for the CNC conversion kit (#4). I just installed it on a MicroMark X2 and it works wonderfully. I picked up the electronics at Keling (Gecko G540, 48V/12.5A power supply, and 3x389 oz/in steppers). As eartaker suggests, the whole package isn't cheap... but I think this is a good example of "you get what you pay for". The only way around the cost and to maintain quality is to make the kit yourself following many of the DIY plans hanging around (Hoss, e.g.).

Jeff

jeff

Can you still use the manual controls after the conversion or is it CNC only. From the pictures at cncfusion website it looks like one axis can be moved manually but how about the others?

jeff

Can you still use the manual controls after the conversion or is it CNC only. From the pictures at cncfusion website it looks like one axis can be moved manually but how about the others?

you could get dual shaft steppers to mount a handle to, and as long as you dont mind locking and unlocking the other two axis' every time you make a kit, it will work...however i doubt you will want to do this after you start using it cnced...
    http://www.g0704.blogspot.com/

jeff

Kev, as suggested, you could get dual shaft motors and put handwheels on them. I had the same concern as you... and everyone told me that I wouldn't want to use manual controls after I CNC'd the machine just as they are telling you here -- and I didn't believe them. But, now that I have it all set up, I realize they are right. If you need "manual" control, you just punch in the coordinates you want in MDI and away it goes. Manual controls are definitely over-rated

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JWeb View Post
    Kev, as suggested, you could get dual shaft motors and put handwheels on them. I had the same concern as you... and everyone told me that I wouldn't want to use manual controls after I CNC'd the machine just as they are telling you here -- and I didn't believe them. But, now that I have it all set up, I realize they are right. If you need "manual" control, you just punch in the coordinates you want in MDI and away it goes. Manual controls are definitely over-rated

Jeff
    +1. I had the same fears when I did mine and I have never needed to put the handles back on.

Also there is the jog function(or "handle" with an MPG) this can help retain some of the manual operation.

we use jog all the time on the big mills at work. its good for a quick setup

Kev,

Also with it under manual control is is very hard to made angled cuts or arc's. But while under CNC you can either write a program to do it or just type in where you want to cut. You will not need manual controls once you have it under CNC power.

All new guys think they need to draw up a program every time they want to cut something but that isn't true. Mach 3 enables manual control from the computer.

and then you can always get an RF45 clone or a G0704 to handle the manual stuff...but most likely you will want to cnc those too its a never ending cycle

Ok

Thanks guys you convinced me - i ordered the kit

Kev