585,991 active members*
6,272 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Upgrade Motor for a Sieg X3

What motor could I use to replace my 3/4HP DC motor on my Sieg X3? I can make a mount to fit the new motor, but I need some resource for buying the right one.

Paul, What function is it? servo or spindle, something like this would do either, what rpm do you need? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...523601822&rd=1
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

This is for this spindle I'd like to get the RPM over 3,000 at 1+hp.

cncadmin, from my experience with surplus motors, I do not necessarily suggest them, the treadmill motors specifically like mine. They are cheaply built and can become more of a pain than your up for. I was looking around at high torque dc motors, I saw one that I was looking at, it was brushless, up to 7000rpm at like 140vdc or something. I didnt have the cash to purchase it. Just watch ebay like a hawk.

Jon

Paul... What's the max speed of the stock spindle? What's the HP rating?

Are you having trouble cutting or are you just looking to head off a potential problem that doesn't exist yet? (I ask because the X-3 is being eyeballed very carefully by myself.)

My assumption is that you plan to be able move the axis(s) around faster than the stock motor can spin.

Have you done the Ballscrew/Servo conversion yet?
    Nathan

My mill specs-

4000rpm @600w
    high gear 100-2000rpm
    low gear 100-1000rpm

how about this set-up- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

The Treadmill DC motors tend to be a bit on the cruder side, they have less poles are physically smaller and as the sellers says, do not take high current for any length of time, it might do what you want it for but you can't push it, it looks like the controller is home built?
    Al.

Albert E.

The controller is pretty good, the motor is in the same category as the previous one but the price is right and I know alot of people have used them, For a spindle it is nice to have some kind of feedback for speed control, some controllers are just simple output and if the load various drastically so does the speed.
    Al.

Albert E.

Paul, I once spoke to the engineer at Argord Corp. (maker of the gold finish 2.5HP motor in question) and he told me that at best it can be run continuous duty as a 1/2HP motor as long as it has a fan blade on it. I asked him if an aluminum sleeve with good contact would increase that and he acknowledged that it would go along way toward providing higher HP contiuously if done well.

Also, I was informed that the motor was design to go with the KBWT whisper drive from KB Electronics and should not be run with an SCR controller. Some useful background maybe.

Rick LaLonde

How about thread mill motors? Would they work and hold up to milling?

Paul, I can tell you that the Argord 2.5HP motor with a KBWT-112 works well on a friend's homemade cnc. The motor gets super hot though and I think the only reason it hasn't fried yet is that he doesn't run it very often.

My two cents is it will work if:

-it has a fan blade
    -the current limit pot is kept down to the 3/4 HP range
    -it is run with a KBWT-110 or other PWM controller (no SCR's)
    -it is monitored for heat and not run for hours at a time

Aside from these draw backs, it's VERY powerful, has a wide (50:1) speed range with the said controller, and is very smooth.

-Rick (rexstep)

Quote Originally Posted by JFettig
    cncadmin, from my experience with surplus motors, I do not necessarily suggest them, the treadmill motors specifically like mine. They are cheaply built and can become more of a pain than your up for. I was looking around at high torque dc motors, I saw one that I was looking at, it was brushless, up to 7000rpm at like 140vdc or something. I didnt have the cash to purchase it. Just watch ebay like a hawk.

Jon

like I said on the surplus treadmill motor like I have^^^ they get hot unless you have a fan, then rather warm, and you cant overload them too much otherwize the electricity from the brushes arc and cause melting.

I wouldnt count on it working for a long time reliably.

Jon