585,982 active members*
4,500 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Cabinet Fan

Cabinet Fan

I have just upgraded my series 1 with the new VFD and as per Tormach's recommendations need to fit a cooling fan to the cabinet. The instructions on the web site for the fan kit show the fan on the base of the cabinet and a vent on the side, but looking at the exploded parts diagram in the in the manual it looks like the fan is installed in the top of the cabinet and there is no vent (or grill).

Having the fan on the top should be better thermally and much more accessible for installation.

Is this where the fan is positioned in series 2 machines and also are there any air intakes or does it just rely on the cabinet being air leaky?

Thanks,

Dave.

I also did the VFD upgrade and installed the fan as per instructions on my series I Tormach. Both the VFD upgrade and the fan worked well.

Don

I did both to my series 1 machine also, not a bit of problem.

Larry O

Yes the fan goes on top and I do not recall seeing a intake opening.

Service Bulletin for fan installation: http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...Cooling_v2.pdf

I installed the fan exactly as per instructions with the fan on the bottom with vent on the top. This has worked well for me. YMMV

BTW The fan mounted at the bottom of the cabinet blows air directly across the VFD braking resistor.

Don

Hi Don,

This service bulletin (http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...5_4th_axis.pdf) shows the fan installed in the top, albeit with the old style VFD.

Seems that if Tormach now fit the fan at the top with the new style VFD that this is now considered a better solution, or at least one that is no worse than the original bottom installation suggested.

Access to the top of the cabinet is much easier for drilling holes than the bottom (particularly when I was too impatient to fit the fan before the VFD!).

It also seems a safer place as nothing can fall or fingers get into the fan when working (carefully) in a live cabinet.

Dave.

Dave:

I showed how I installed the fan and what worked for me. Never had an overheating issue with my Tormach nor have I lost any digits. Take what you like and leave the rest.

Don

[QUOTE=davebaldwin;828183]when working (carefully) in a live cabinet./[QUOTE]

:nono: