585,560 active members*
3,498 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Okuma > Help - LB10/15 Okuma Lathe with OSP5000L-G

Exclamation Help - LB10/15 Okuma Lathe with OSP5000L-G

"If your up there please save me superman"

Hi there, at the start of the week i was given the task by my management to communicate to this machine via a PC. I thought it would have been a relatively easy task however it is the end of the week and im still unable to get any type of communication going.

I have wired up every single type of RS 232 cable combined with every different combination of settings on the DNC or hyperterminal. I have read through most of the other threads and adopted some methods but nothing still works.

The one thing i have not tried is to change parameter settings on the NC and that is because i'm unsure of how to do this. WOuld anyone be able to give me a heads up on how to change them or at least view them?

Define where "up there" is.
    PS ---Melb. is below Syd.

OK !
    What transfer software do you have ?
    using PIP or DNC ?----I'd say you will be using PIP

COM1 plug= ? pins ( 9 or 25 )
    RS232 plug at the MC ? ( normally 25 )
    PC 25pin --> OSP 25pin is wired differently than PC 9pin
    How is your cable wired now ?

Always start by sending a file from the MC to PC
    MC has different settings for Reading and for Punching

This is god info
    but shows only a 25 --> 9 pin layout
    for a 25 --> 25 pin the differences are
    ----PC-pin2 --> OSP-pni3
    ----PC-pin3 --> OSP-pni2
    ----PC-pin7 --> OSP-pni7
    ----no pins need bridging on the PC end

Do you have contact with Okuma Aust. ? Greg W. (apps guy) would be a good start

Yeah i have contacted Okuma Australia. They have given me advice on where to start. Most of this is new to me. If all still does not go well i will have to get them out to the machine.

Okay I'am using the PC with a RS 232 port and running XP windows. I have tried to use hyperterminal but i also have got DNC communication software that is much the same as hyperterminal.

My Pin configuration is as followed:

PC > 25 to MC > 25
    2 3
    3 2
    4+5 4&5
    6+8+20 6+8+20
    7 7

To communicate out i type into the OSP:
    >Go to edit
    >go to PIP
    >Punch "My Filename".MIN,CN0:

After a few seconds i get the words "end of file"

I was looking at the Parameters on the machine last night and it seems that the BAUD rate is set at 0.

I have tried to change this but for some reason i get an error message saying "input data overflow" error 2509

This may be my main issue.

I have tried to use hyperterminal but i also have got DNC communication software that is much the same as hyperterminal.
    Yeh, they all work using the same principle

Code:
    PC > 25    to     MC > 25
        2               3
        3               2
        4+5            4&5
      6+8+20        6+8+20
        7               7
    Red text is not necessary, but should still work
    I type into the OSP:
    <Edit> <PIP> <Punch> "My Filename".MIN,CN0:

After a few seconds i get the words "end of file"
    Try placing the device name before the filename
    ie <Edit> <PIP> <Punch> CN0: Myfile.MIN <Write>

Your Myfile.MIN should be ( don't put the $Myfile.MIN% on #1 line-it gets placed there automatically on the PC copy )
    Code:
    N1 TEST
    N2 M30
    %
    I was looking at the Parameters on the machine last night and it seems that the BAUD rate is set at 0.

I have tried to change this but for some reason i get an error message saying "input data overflow" error 2509
    Okuma alarms give a lot more info, when giving an alarm #, give the entire alarm message---the hex # should be the allowable range for input (min/max)

What baud did you try to set ? and how ?
    ie S 9600 <Write> (S for Set & no decimals when the cursor is on that parameter)
    normally it is preset to 4800---we have ours set to 9600, any higher and data can be corrupted because of the cable length between PC and machine

PS---backup the machines' parameters before changing, or at least, keep a record

What baud did you try to set ? and how ?
    ie S 9600 <Write> (S for Set & no decimals when the cursor is on that parameter)
    normally it is preset to 4800---we have ours set to 9600, any higher and data can be corrupted because of the cable length between PC and machine

I was looking at the wrong parameter which is why i could not change it. The book i have is OSP5000L and apparently it makes all the difference.

However, once establishing that the Baud rate is set to 2400 (parameter no.39) and set the rest of the parameter bits for parameter no.1 and no.12 i tried to test the communication again.

Nothing....absolutely nothing. I spoke to the gentlemen from okuma and he seems to think that the board might be blown.

I will get the okuma guy to come out and check it.

Thankyou for the help. I will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.

sorry for interrupting you. I do launch serial communication in 15 minutes as usual. Something looks strange to me. can I comment a little?
    I have wired up every single type of RS 232 cable combined with every different combination of settings
    You are not serious, right? Is it just an emotion?
    PC > 25 to MC > 25

make sure, You use serial port of PC. Mostly they are DB-9 connector pins. Your's is DB-25 (pins or holes?). DB-25 holes is LPT port as usuall. DB-25 pins most likely is serial port on PC, especially if PC has two serial ports installed.
    Nothing....absolutely nothing
    It would be better if You use less emotions and more technical expression for this task. The message "end of file" is important. As Mr.Superman noted already, error and alarm messages helps very much.
    You must be sure, what parameters You change. Machining center parameters differs from lathe. Some specification related differences may be also.
    Baud rate 2400 and 4800 is good for settings. 9600 (maximum) is best for work if it starts well.

I thing Algirdas is right, you may be trying to communicate with the parallel printer port rather than the serial port in which case you will get nothing...excuse us if we insult your intelligence, but we have to start with the simple stuff first...

If the okuma is giving you the end of file, it is most likely sending correctly, or at least thinks it is. This would mean that you should see something transmitted across lines 2+3. Do you have a test box? You can get a little LED one at your local radio shack that would at least show you if the board is twitching and is alive. They don't fail that often, but a lightning strike while connected will take them out.

The cable you describe will work to communicate between 2 okuma's. Is it possible to reach another one with your cable in order to eliminate the PC?

Even with settings bad, you should at least be able to see garbage coming across to your pc in many cases, so that is what makes me think your connection is bad. How old is the PC you are using? Which OS? Some older OS's like to take control of your ports, so let us know.

Hope these tips help,

Best regards,

Insult as much as you want, in the end i'm here to learn.

I understand where you guys are coming from. In fact i checked it out this morning and the old laptop that was given to me must of had wrong drivers for the port.

I used an up to date laptop and the connection was fine. However I seem to be getting a whole lot of jargon now. Nothin that resembles a g-program.

I've read this somewhere in another thread but i can't seem to find it.

OKUMAWIZ - you mentioned i should at least get some garbage coming through, so i think this is it.

Any reasons why?

Garbage has now been transformed into a clean g-code program after i changed the baud rate.

My next challenge is to send the data back to the machine. When i did this i recieved an error saying "SAT full". Not sure what it means but im still investigating.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Poindexter View Post
    When i did this i recieved an error saying "SAT full". Not sure what it means but im still investigating.
    SAT full = Remaining Memory space in the control will NOT take the incoming program

Solution === download some files...... good practice ..now that you can download ,,,,,LOL

I was going to suggest baud rate, but Superman beat me to it. I guess it helps to be faster than a speeding bullet. (not to mention the time zone he's in)

I'd suggest trying to send a tiny file out from the machine and then send the same file back to the machine to avoid any format errors.

If you get the "Sat Full" error, check memory with the FREE command. FREE;C will show continuous available memory. DELETE programs to make room if need be. If you still get the sat full, your XON,XOFF (software handshaking) is not working correctly. Make sure it is on positively on both sides. even with it not set right, if your program is small (less than 256 characters) it should still go into the machine OK. If not, you still have mismatched settings.

One more thing, make sure you are reading and sending from the same port you are connected to. I believe it's 45 and 54 on most machines for READ and PUNCH. By default most are set up to READ from the paper tape reader (TT and not the RS232 port.

Best regards,

No more problems gentlemen.

I deleted a file from the directory to create space and it is now recieving
    files.

It saves the file automatically as "A.min". I'm not sure if i can get it to send and save it in a different file name, but im not that concerned.

Also just to let you know i had to delete the first line filename.min and also put a % at the end of the program. I've had to do this with turret punch programs which is why i thought i'd give it a go when it wasn't sending on the first try.

Cheers guys.

congraturlations! You are half way already.
    next is:
    check some 4kB file transfer forward <-> back four times and make comparison on PC side if it doesn't changes. This will let You know if hand shaking is set properly. The final test would be with 8kB file containing small letters.
    regarding file name.
    Sure, it's better to have first line file name and have it recognised by OSP. It is up to OSP parameter "check file name on receive". There is also "punch file name" or alike.

Quote Originally Posted by Algirdas View Post
    The final test would be with 8kB file containing small letters.
    DON'T do this, the 5000 series cannot use lower case, or any other character that is not on the control keypad. Filenames cannot have spaces or underscore ( _ )

A method you may appreciate with file naming. A prefix on the filename to define it as un-proven or not yet run, then when you run it, you change the prefix to identify it as a proven program and also what machine type, and then save it to a specific folder for that machine ---unproven programs should also be kept seperate from the proven

ie X123ABC.MIN is ready to go into the control to run
    after proving, change the X to (T)urning,(M)illing,(W)ire,(MT)=millturn

<PIP> <READ> CN0: <WRITE>
    ( incoming file will be named what is on the 1st line )---This can give errors if not yet set correctly, but the following info goes hand in hand with this to help out when in the $hit.

When reading files into the control and you keep getting file name errors, use a comma after the device name, it is used as a rename function on the incoming file to A.MIN
    <PIP> <READ> CN0:, <WRITE>
    ( incoming file will be named A.MIN )

If you type anything after this comma, this will be the new name of the incoming file
    <PIP> <READ> CN0:,ABC123 <WRITE>
    ( incoming file will be named ABC123.MIN )

note!!! the .MIN is assummed by default and is not necessary

The $ on the first line defines a file naming macro
    The % at the end of the first line terminates this macro.
    Some set-ups use a % on the first line to make it skip this macro, it may be something you may have to try for yourself

The % at the end of the file is a code used to terminate the PIP transfer and close the file
    ( and may also be required if usung DNC-B for those that read this )

the 5000 series cannot use lower case
    that's not true, I can prove. After this test passed, I'm sure, control codes are received/ sent correctly. You can't be sure without this test
    <PIP> <READ> <WRITE>
    <PIP> <PU>filename <WRITE> is enough
    CN0: makes sense only if You use more serial ports on OSP. There are parameters "default punch device" and "default read device". Set it properly and you have less ocassion to fail.
    defines a file naming macro
    The % at the end of the first line terminates this macro

not so complicated. No macro there, it's just a file name

the 5000 series cannot use lower case
    that's not true, I can prove. After this test passed, I'm sure, control codes are received/ sent correctly. You can't be sure without this test
    <PIP> <READ> <WRITE>
    <PIP> <PU>filename <WRITE> is enough
    CN0: makes sense only if You use more serial ports on OSP. There are parameters "default punch device" and "default read device". Set it properly and you have less ocassion to fail.
    defines a file naming macro
    The % at the end of the first line terminates this macro

not so complicated. No macro there, it's just a file name
    Com'on Al
    Take a step back and look at the real picture. Not the fantasy wrrld you live in. Some of your comments in posts are somewhat helpful, (I can understand where/what you mean on most occasions), but with your use of English as your 2nd language can, at times, be very confusing and dangerous for those that are new to CNC machines

These older machines usually have a paper tape reader (TT) as the default device, the info given will get most people out of the $hit.
    Not everyone knows how to adjust the parameters, or to do some of the things you try to suggest. Yes, the machine can have this device set as the default, but it means reloading the install disks, and not everyone has these disks at their disposal to be able to do.

My boss, (even myself) would ream an operator's backside if he went in to change things in this area, let alone go and play around in the electrics of the machine. There are legal ramifications, OH&S issues etc that prevent those people from going into areas that they are not trained to be in.

Explanations must be given in layman's terms for all to be able grasp the concept of what is going on.

"Macro" was the right choice of word to convey the concept of what it's purpose is. What is your term of the function of the % then ?

Our 5000s will not run lower case letters, so info was passed on based on that. So, if he can or can't run lowercase, advising to always use uppercase will never give any form of error....will it ?

Mr.Superman, what a bull shit You feed here, ha?
    Take a step back and look at the real picture. Not the fantasy wrrld you live in
    Thank You for valuable advice. I do never claim to be basis of last decision. It will be impossible to read if I will type "this is my opinion and you can try if this is interesting to You" all the time
    can, at times, be very confusing and dangerous
    sorry about my English. I don't claim to speak as american or scotish - even worse. Everyone understands me untill now (I do speak 4 languages) and everyone can ask if in case. Have You some exact sample, where I impose danger by my advices here?
    Not everyone knows how to adjust the parameters
    they are here to ask
    to do some of the things you try to suggest
    so what?
    it means reloading the install disks, and not everyone has these disks at their disposal to be able to do
    can You be more more specific? What reloading of disks has to do with regular parameter setting?
    if he went in to change things in this area, let alone go and play around in the electrics of the machine
    is it related to topic in some way, sorry?
    "Macro" was the right choice of word to convey the concept of what it's purpose is
    I didn't checked any doctionary or so. In my opinion "macro" is a command or set of commands intended for some task in some specific area.
    What is your term of the function of the % then ?
    simple delimiter. Part of syntacsis. As described in manual exactly.
    Our 5000s will not run lower case letters, so info was passed on based on that
    same with me. All OSP5000/500 where I did serial connection do work with control codes (lower case characters is a way to test it properly). All other, non - Okuma controls do the same. In fact, all standard serial communication supports full ASCII table. Or I don't know a such. I know people, who take care of their back and they don't like to use their brain intensive. It's possible to restore system from back-up if in case, don't You know? It is described in user manual also. I can warn everyone - please, do make backups of system data and parameters.
    advising to always use uppercase will never give any form of error
    Sure, yes. Except if user will get program with comments using lower case. Then it can be real trouble, if some lower case letters will be treated as control codes errorneously...

Mr.Superman, what a bull shit You feed here, ha?
    Umm no BS
    Thank You for valuable advice. I do never claim to be basis of last decision. It will be impossible to read if I will type "this is my opinion and you can try if this is interesting to You"
    With that said no one ever listen to anything posted by you?
    sorry about my English. I don't claim to speak as american or scotish - even worse. Everyone understands me untill now
    Wrong!!

(I do speak 4 languages) and everyone can ask if in case.
    Maybe we would have better luck with the other 3.

Have You some exact sample, where I impose danger by my advices here?
    Oh my, read on please.

they are here to ask
    Exactly the answer to your comment above about your "advices". One thing at at time, you can't tell a guy to realign a headstock on his first day, can you?

so what?
    "So what?" is exactly Steve's point, it's dangerous!

I didn't checked any doctionary
    What a surprise.

In my opinion "macro" is a command or set of commands intended for some task in some specific area.
    Like-GOTO N AWAY !? (chair)

Sure, yes. Except if user will get program with comments using lower case. Then it can be real trouble, if some lower case letters will be treated as control codes erroneously...
    "Erroneous" is a great word, did you pay 5 litas for it? Erroneous would be the end of your advice if people actually took it.
    The beaten path, is exclusively for beaten men.

don't understand people, what is wrong with you.
    is it your response to my questions?
    Have you find where I posted something you blame me to?
    OK, never mind. I understand what is wrong. Soviet Union collapsed. It's mirror image -U.S.A. still exists. You trust lies instead of open your eyes and to see what is real.
    it's dangerous!
    can you explain exactly what is dangerous?
    version 1. Lower case characters will be ignored.
    version 2. Lower case characters will be transformed to upper case characters.
    version 3. communication alarm occurs.
    is it dangerous?
    version 4. some lower case sequence will be treated as unwanted control code by mistake.
    this can be dangerous, yes. That's why I advice to test if lower case letters are understood corectly. Control can be in Emergency stop while adjusting communication, this ensures safety.

Hi
    I have an Okoma LB osp5000l device
    I need the main program data of this machine to copy to Bubble memory card
    I do not have the punch tape
    if you can send me that data
    Thank you