585,764 active members*
4,076 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Fagor DRO

Fagor DRO

I just got an IH 12Z mill and am trying to learn how to use the Fagor DRO. I am having difficulty understanding some of the functions of the DRO, and the Fagor manual is not very helpful. One example is the corner rounding function, where you enter an X and Y end point, radius, and quadrant. I can get this to work but not reliably. Does anyone have an improved manual for the Fagor DRO? The DROPROs video on cornor rounding is very straightforward compared to the Fagor. Any help would be appreciated.

Is it the 40I

I should have mentioned I have the Fagor 30i model DRO.

I have the 40i but I think the functions are similar. Did you setup all the parameters like tool radius comp and reverse counting? I too have been challenged with those crappy instructions and fagor USA has really no support, well for the 40i that is.

Fagor DRO Setup

I set the DRO up so that the left front corner of the workpiece is 0,0 and as the tool moves to the right on the workpiece the X count increases, and as it moves to back of the workpiece the Y count increases. Is this how a DRO is normally set up? I also enter the diameter of the tool. I tell the DRO that I'm touching the tool to the left of the workpiece and clear the X axis, and then that I'm touching the bottom of the workpiece and clear the Y axis.

I think understand a little more about how this thing works. I may put together some notes, as it looks like it might help others too.

Mine is setup where the y axis moves toward the column and the x moves right the #s go -. I'm not even sure if this is correct. Maybe the good fellas in the Fagor forum can shed some light for us.

Normally the zeroing of the table axis for homing is done with the table closest to column and to the right in operator view. The spindle without any tool is zeroed just kissing the top of the table. Then all WPO's & all TO's calculate from that point. I take it one step further and keep G54 clear for tool touch off values. This way I can manually touch off any replacement or added tooling without interference with Work Piece Offsets botching the Tool Offset. I have set the Z up with touch to table, then home it against switch with auto zero turned off on the z. That way I can read the position from dro and install it in the homing set up and turn the auto feature back on and after ward with a clean spindle I can home and MDI a G0 Z0 and the spindle will rapid down and stop just kissing the table top.
    The travel of the table is to be considered as the TOOL moving, not the table. So if the table is moving to the left, the tool is moving positive.
    Don
    IH v-3 early model owner